Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Optimo south side mobsters

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
They are not changing the price of the 1000 yet but I think you're right, calling them Heirloom will solve the price/name conflict. Just emailed with Graham, this is what he wrote back to me just now. (Pictures are coming, I'm setting up my camera ;))

"Hi Ale

Thx much for your email. Glad you like the velour-- this hat should only improve with age!
We will be in NYC Sept 15-18. Appointments are filling up fast.. Please call Tif and make an appt. We have a nice room at the Gramercy Park Hotel. Hope to see you there.

We are doing 100% beaver for the entire collection this year, but 100% beaver in itself is not necessarily a mark of quality (think '100% cashmere'). Other wild furs can make exceptional hats, too. Depending upon weight and color and finish of the hats, it has been necessary to use different blends of hats for the perfect finish.

A few factors influenced our decision to run all beavers this year... a main one was the color-pallete, the other is our expanding line of Optimo 1000. Our Optimo 1000 are set apart as they are either a mixture of beaver and mink (mink is tighter felting than beaver or 100% beaver BELLY fur. This selection of fur gives a noticeable difference from our standard line-- and worth the extra money. Hard to say which hat is a better 'value'.

Hope to see you in NY

Best
Graham"

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for that. With every answer, I learn a bit, but have more questions. I wonder if all the fur used by FEPSA (or, at least for Optimo's felt) is wild. It's always been my understanding that wild fur is better, though more expensive. I appreciate Graham's openness and his obvious and express ambition to continue improving his product.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for that. With every answer, I learn a bit, but have more questions. I wonder if all the fur used by FEPSA (or, at least for Optimo's felt) is wild. It's always been my understanding that wild fur is better, though more expensive. I appreciate Graham's openness and his obvious and express ambition to continue improving his product.

Funny that you mention the wild fur 'cause I just asked him about that on my reply. Will post his answer when he writes back. I agree, Graham's desire improve is remarkable and I, too, appreciate it.
Pictures after lunch, I promise!

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Lefty, here's our answer:

Me: Graham, I forgot to ask you before: is all your fur wild? is it true that wild fur makes the best hats?

Graham: Yes and Yes!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I don't think there's arrogance on Graham's part. If you've ever met the guy you know how laid back and humble he is.
You do realise I was commenting on a business decision; not a his character? Anyway, I first met him circa '97 when his hats were priced at around $300 and every return visit has been met with a price increase; sometimes $25, sometimes $50. At some point fatigue sets in. Personally, I'm set for felt hats for the foreseeable future but were I in the market I would probably try VS or maybe even the new guy across town. That said, they still have my straw business as their milans are worth every penny.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
You do realise I was commenting on a business decision; not a his character?.

I do. But the way I see things is that a person with an arrogant character will make and arrogant business decision. In Graham's case I might call it, risky even bold but not arrogant. [huh]

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Optimo Mineral Gray Velour.
I don't even know what to say about this felt. Amazing? Extraordinary?
It's soft suede-like finish. Light and luxurious. Take a look guys!

IMG_1637.jpg

studio1.jpg

Triple stitch brim:

IMG_1640.jpg

The underwelt:

IMG_1646.jpg

Liner/Sweat:

1-2.jpg

Last edited:

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Very nice. I think I like the center dent, but noggin shots would help.

I'm going to keep it with a center dent. Graham was right and so are you, guys. This is their " The Chicago" crown model, BTW. I modified the brim width and told them to add the stitching.
I'll post some noggin shots tomorrow. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred