Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ordering a custom Areo cafe racer

bvbellomo2

New in Town
I applied for this forum a little over 2 weeks ago, hoping for advice with an order. Ironically, my account was approved just a few hours after I finalized my order, although it might still be possible to make changes. Carrie at Thurston did a wonderful job so far, very attentive to her very OCD client.

The goal is a fashion jacket, I ride a Ducati 998, but am primarily looking for something to wear off the bike. The Japanese make some nice jackets, but not for a 6 foot tall barrel chested American. Thurston seems the best at custom fits and measurements over the Internet, Vanson would be great for a jacket I primarily wear on the bike, I didn't care for Thedi, and Aero looks great, at least in pictures.

I've always worn a black leather jacket (this will be my first nice jacket), but never a cross zip, so getting one at middle age without a Harley seems weird. I wanted something simpler and I like the cafe racer style, and feel it goes well with my body, especially if I can gain muscle this winter (which I always do) without gaining too much fat (which I always do too, but I bought an exercise bike).

Carrie sent me a 42 fitting jacket, which is too short, so I am adding an inch of length. Jacket was very tight on the upper body (not bad after it breaks in) but had too much slack on the lower. Thurston adds 1 inch of width to the Aero cafe racer by default, I am omitting this. This risks the jacket being too tight with the extra length and the back laying weird, I am hoping this isn't an issue.

I choose Black Badalassi, and asked for "Extra grainy" as Carrie said that generally looks better. I was really impressed by the Cromexel Steerhide of the fitting jacket, and almost went with that. Hopefully I get more grain and character and not too much more shine, with almost the same flex and weight. I didn't find the fitting jacket at all uncomfortable, other than being warmer than I expected (could be good or bad, depending on the weather).

I really don't like this collar, too loose closed, with too big of a flap open. I went with a J100 Buco board racer collar, and added the J100 yoke and deleted the kidney panel and shoulder gussets as well. This should give me something that almost looks like a J100 but cut completely different with antiqued brass hardware and grainy leather.

Anyhow, I am very excited about this and been reading every relevant post on this forum several times, although now all I probably need to do is wait.

front.jpg
side2.JPG

Last edited:

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Made some good choices here. I am actually in a toss-up between the Steer Black CX 4-pocket CR you are exhibiting there, or the dark blue FQHH 42 CR she also has listed on her stock page. I have owned a Steerhide (stock) Thurston-Aero CR prior and it would fit well.

I think you will really enjoy it, and I agree the collar is one item on both the new stock jacket she has that I am not crazy about. I actually want both inner & outer kidney panels, a little extra down there is good and I don't mind a little heavier jacket overall.

Welcome to FL!

f2002q

One of the Regulars
Congratulations on your purchase. Looks like it's going to be a bad-ass jacket!!! I just went thought the Carrie experience and I'm more than pleased. I was a bit hesitant to take her suggestions, but I forced myself to trust her experience. Seems like with Aero, since they customize everything (except the military stuff) going the Thurston way is the only way.

f2002q

One of the Regulars
Having long arms, I am especially sensitive to sleeve length. I think your could use an extra inch in the sleeves. See what Carrie thinks.

Welcome to the lounge.

Hmmm, yeah, as the leather creases you will loose length in the sleeves. Good suggestion to ask Carrie.

bvbellomo2

New in Town
Carrie and I both think the sleeve length is good. This might show better in pictures I didn't post here. The sleeves actually are long enough to cover the metacarpal of my thumb. Tolerance is 1/2 inch. Since I didn't measure my fitting jacket and don't know how, sleeves could end up 1 inches longer or 1 inch shorter, which is quite a range. The shorter they are, the less creasing.

f2002q

One of the Regulars
Carrie and I both think the sleeve length is good. This might show better in pictures I didn't post here. The sleeves actually are long enough to cover the metacarpal of my thumb. Tolerance is 1/2 inch. Since I didn't measure my fitting jacket and don't know how, sleeves could end up 1 inches longer or 1 inch shorter, which is quite a range. The shorter they are, the less creasing.

I've learned to trust what Carrie says!!! :)

AerGuitar

A-List Customer
I think you will like the Black Badalassi.. I’m very pleased with mine, it’s very substantial and the black color has real depth to it.

bvbellomo2

New in Town
I think you will like the Black Badalassi.. I’m very pleased with mine, it’s very substantial and the black color has real depth to it.
I really hope so. Lots of positive reviews, and lots of nice photos on this forum. But some very shiny sparkly photos too. I know this is not going to be a subtle look no matter what, but hoping it isn't too much. I was really torn between this and the chromexel steerhide just because that's what my fitting jacket was. I'd never have chosen chromexel from the swatches or online photos.

bvbellomo2

New in Town
Jacket arrived just now. I wanted to post some initial thoughts, but this is a Spring jacket and going to sit in my closet a while. I may not have time to photograph it, and it will look much better after it stretches and relaxes.

1) The Badalassi on the new jacket is much stiffer (not heavier) than Cromexel on the fitting jacket. I like it better overall, but might be pushing it on a cafe racer, which is supposed to be a shirt made out of leather. This will definitely feel better once it breaks in. I was concerned when Carrie suggested "Extra Grainy" and worried this might be too shiny, but it is nice leather.

2) The stock zipper on the new jacket is a pain so far. I wanted a tight fit, which does make it a little harder to zip, but I am having trouble even with the jacket off. Hopefully this is also a break-in issue.

3) The sides are weird. Both jackets have a narrow strip on the sides joining the front and back panels. But the real jacket seems like it has a wider side strip and narrower front. This could be from changing the length, taper and deleting the kidney panel. Hopefully I either get used to this, or it is hard to see, but it sticks out to me right now.

Otherwise, I am happy. I think Carrie nailed the measurements as far as getting me what I wanted.

2) The stock zipper on the new jacket is a pain so far. I wanted a tight fit, which does make it a little harder to zip, but I am having trouble even with the jacket off. Hopefully this is also a break-in issue.

It's much harder to zip-up a jacket that's not on you but what makes zipping up the jacket a pain?

3) The sides are weird. Both jackets have a narrow strip on the sides joining the front and back panels. But the real jacket seems like it has a wider side strip and narrower front. This could be from changing the length, taper and deleting the kidney panel. Hopefully I either get used to this, or it is hard to see, but it sticks out to me right now.

The sides are different for a reason. Professionals are making these jackets. You shouldn't worry about it.

bvbellomo2

New in Town
It's much harder to zip-up a jacket that's not on you but what makes zipping up the jacket a pain?
Difficulty aligning both sides, knowing if they are aligned and amount of force required to zip it. Not a huge deal, especially if it doesn't get worse, but the fitting jacket was much better.

bvbellomo2

New in Town
Neck is too big, not a huge issue and I might never actually button it. Every dress shirt I own, I have to buy a bigger neck than standard or it won't button around my fat neck. But my fitting jacket was way too big on my neck, so I asked to size down, and I think they did. But it is still too loose. This is only an issue if I ride, and I guess that's the difference between a fashion jacket like Aero and something more for protection.

Difficulty aligning both sides, knowing if they are aligned and amount of force required to zip it. Not a huge deal, especially if it doesn't get worse, but the fitting jacket was much better.

No. 5 strikes again, eh. Yeah, should be a bigger zipper on these heavy jackets but okay, it'll get better with use, just always make sure the pin is inserted properly.

AerGuitar

A-List Customer
I always find the zips to be fiddly at first on a new jacket, especially on thicker hides. It always gets better as the leather near the slider starts to break in. I also lubricate the zips with either a wax for zippers or pencil lead as well.

AerGuitar

A-List Customer
I like the j100 treatment on the cafe racer pattern. It doesn’t take long for the Badalassi to start looking very nice and worn in. I once had a russet Badalassi BR that was an easy size too small for me, to “loosen it up” I got it soaking wet, put on the thickest sweater I could fit under it, and went for a long walk(couple hours). While I was walking I tried to move my arms and upper body around as much as possible. I’m sure it was a sight to behold for anyone passing by, but it did end up a little roomier and much more comfy once it was dry.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I hope it loosens up for you, to me that's a "sausage casing"...
If you like that fit, so be it, but I could not and will not try it anymore.

Other than being overly snug, it looks good. I do suspect you'll be putting a different zipper in it soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko