Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ordering an Akubra from Everything Australian

I w

I was charged when the order was placed. After four months it seems almost like getting a free hat. :)

One of the reasons I accepted the wait was that the price at that time was the lowest I had seen, and the exchange rate was starting to rise.

I’ve noticed the impact of the weakening dollar too. I ordered some Agnoulita (Greece) hats due to the strong dollar, but that has come to an end.

I’ve been on the “to be notified” list with three Australian retailers for when the Akubra Sombrero is back in stock in my size. I’ve been waiting over a year and a half. I tried Akubra direct and no luck there either, but they did confirm they were not discontinuing the Sombrero. I’ll just have to keep waiting.

Snowman

Practically Family
I’ve been on the “to be notified” list with three Australian retailers for when the Akubra Sombrero is back in stock in my size. I’ve been waiting over a year and a half. I tried Akubra direct and no luck there either, but they did confirm they were not discontinuing the Sombrero. I’ll just have to keep waiting.
I wonder if they are only making the Sombrero to order. EA has them on their site with a 6 month wait; that’s the same as they have been the past four months. The CD is back to “leaves warehouse in one business day,” I suppose because demand has risen and forced higher production.

The Shooman

Practically Family
I’ve noticed the impact of the weakening dollar too. I ordered some Agnoulita (Greece) hats due to the strong dollar, but that has come to an end.

Plenty of Sombreros here in Oz. Bought one today at the local shops.
https://akubra.com.au/collections/hats/products/sombrero-fawn?variant=38038087893181

and
https://www.cityhatters.com.au/collections/akubra-1

Yes, I received an alert that they were back in stock, but the price had gone up substantially, probably due to the weaker US dollar.

FYI: both your links show it’s not in stock in my size, and it doesn’t look like the first store even offers it in 62cm. The second link shows most sizes are out of stock and again there aren’t any 62cm hats available. I’d say there aren’t plenty of sombreros in Oz. ;)

Who?

Practically Family
Yes, I received an alert that they were back in stock, but the price had gone up substantially, probably due to the weaker US dollar.

FYI: both your links show it’s not in stock in my size, and it doesn’t look like the first store even offers it in 62cm. The second link shows most sizes are out of stock and again there aren’t any 62cm hats available. I’d say there aren’t plenty of sombreros in Oz. ;)
I keep trying to tell you that you need to go to South America and get your head professionally shrunk, but you don’t seem to be too interested.

The catch is that the standard size is about like an orange, so there is that.

I keep trying to tell you that you need to go to South America and get your head professionally shrunk, but you don’t seem to be too interested.

The catch is that the standard size is about like an orange, so there is that.

Every year we get closer to booking my trip…is it South America or the South Pacific?

I haven't done a comprehensive check but it seems Akubra pricing has shot way up. Not so cheap any longer.

The Shooman

Practically Family

Here you go, a size 62 from oz. We are awash with sombreros over here.
https://brisbane-hatters.com.au/products/akubra-sombrero-fawn?_pos=1&_sid=3204f12cb&_ss=r

https://everythingaustralian.com.au/sombrero-hat.html

https://www.allingtons.com.au/akubra-sombrero-67500-fawn

Thanks. A few weeks ago I received an email notifying me that my size was back in stock. I came close to buying one (my second Sombrero), but the pricing gives me pause. I used to think that Akubras weren’t great hats, but they were good hats for the money. Now I’m not so sure of the value proposition. The Sombrero is possibly the one Akubra that I still see as a decent deal since it’s a great style and different from anything I can get domestically for a similar price.

The Shooman

Practically Family
The Sombrero is definitely worth it, you will have it for years. Just imagine if they stopped making it, you would have so many regrets. It is not the type of hat you see around.

The Sombrero is definitely worth it, you will have it for years. Just imagine if they stopped making it, you would have so many regrets. It is not the type of hat you see around.

I already have one, and it’s my favorite Akubra. The dimensions and brim curl are just the ticket. If I get another I’ll shape it very differently than the first.

Aside from the significantly higher price than my first Sombrero, I don’t like the grommeted vents and I don’t like the hatband. The vents I’d just live with, but the hatband would get replaced before I even see the hat (I’d have it shipped directly to a hatter). With the shipping, new hatband, and the initial cost of the hat, I’m at or above the cost of a custom made hat, and I’m trying to thin out my collection not add to it…not that my continued hat buying shows evidence of this. ;)

The Shooman

Practically Family
Yes, the hatband is not very nice, l really don't know why they use that one. I would like a braided hat band.

I have an old scout hat from the early 80's that has those exact grommets, and the make is exactly the same as the sombrero. I am willing to bet my old scout hat was made by Akubra.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner