Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ordering my first leather jacket - a sunburst - probably Aero

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
If the vertical side of each small panel is not trully straight but slightly curved inward or outward then it gives more 3D shape, for example hot air balloon, and can fit better I imagine, still saving material that is pretty obvious but can be more than that I hope.

Edward

Bartender
If the vertical side of each small panel is not trully straight but slightly curved inward or outward then it gives more 3D shape, for example hot air balloon, and can fit better I imagine, still saving material that is pretty obvious but can be more than that I hope.

Can do - that's why there's a back seam in the BoardRacer.

Mawashi

One of the Regulars
I just e-mailed Aero my measurements.

I'll keep you guys updated.

Dan,

I too mailed Holly my measurements however, I was told they don't do bespoke jackets and won't alter the sleeves.
My concern is I have thin arms and if the if the arms don't fit well it'll be like having a flapping flag for a sleeve.
She did say that the Premier Highwayman and Half Belt, and the Board Racer come with higher cut and slimmer arm holes too.

I may have to go with Simmons if I can't get the right fitting sleeves from Aero.

Greg too provides a full custom job.
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/field-leathers-review.99946/

His prices are about £100 more than an aero but if he does a full custom it worth contacting him.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here

His prices are about £100 more than an aero but if he does a full custom it worth contacting him.

I am currently torturing Greg with my measurements so that it will be exactly as I imagine it to be. Greg is extremely keen to respond to requests, but may also question nonsensical details. I don't have my jacket yet, but so far I can absolutely recommend communication and engagement.

Mawashi

One of the Regulars
I may not have the budget for a full custom as this would be my first real jacket. I told him that as I haven't a clue what I really want in a jacket yet, I might get a 2nd hand off the bay so I know better what I want in a travel jacket before contacting him again sometime next year.

I also offered to buy the Ohio if it fits me I so, I'm calling dibs first lol!

dan-dan

New in Town
Dan,

I too mailed Holly my measurements however, I was told they don't do bespoke jackets and won't alter the sleeves.
My concern is I have thin arms and if the if the arms don't fit well it'll be like having a flapping flag for a sleeve.
She did say that the Premier Highwayman and Half Belt, and the Board Racer come with higher cut and slimmer arm holes too.

I may have to go with Simmons if I can't get the right fitting sleeves from Aero.

How did you figure out your sleeves were too thin? And the arm holes?

Mawashi

One of the Regulars
How did you figure out your sleeves were too thin? And the arm holes?

I have thin arms not that the sleeves were too thin.

Her reply was they don't have measurements of the sleeve or cuff width and I'll have choose those jackets mentioned earlier if I wanted slimmer sleeves or cut. This is very strange as I'm sure they have all the measurements once I have selected a certain size like 40.
Either way I'm not paying for premium prices if I can't be sure of the fit which is why I'm better off with a Simmons or Greg Field.

I can only speculate that sometime earlier they were more lenient and custom requests resulted in more problems than necessary. Either way, not having at least the standard measurements is a deal breaker as having baggy sleeves is a no no for me.

Cheers

dan-dan

New in Town
I have thin arms not that the sleeves were too thin.

Her reply was they don't have measurements of the sleeve or cuff width and I'll have choose those jackets mentioned earlier if I wanted slimmer sleeves or cut. This is very strange as I'm sure they have all the measurements once I have selected a certain size like 40.
Either way I'm not paying for premium prices if I can't be sure of the fit which is why I'm better off with a Simmons or Greg Field.

I can only speculate that sometime earlier they were more lenient and custom requests resulted in more problems than necessary. Either way, not having at least the standard measurements is a deal breaker as having baggy sleeves is a no no for me.

Cheers

Yes, I see. They seem to be able to do quite a bit for me, but then again I'm unsure. It feels like a lot of gambling if they don't have the measurements on hand. I don't have very large arms, so I assume I'll do OK but not perfect in the arm department.

I really like Aero, and I'll probably try to go to a stockist and feel up leather jackets and see how stuff fits. I'll have to go to a local 2nd hand shop for leather jackets and try on a bunch and see what I like; maybe a half belt isn't the right choice after all.

It feels weird that they don't measure the shoulders at all.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I may not have the budget for a full custom as this would be my first real jacket. I told him that as I haven't a clue what I really want in a jacket yet, I might get a 2nd hand off the bay so I know better what I want in a travel jacket before contacting him again sometime next year.

I also offered to buy the Ohio if it fits me I so, I'm calling dibs first lol!

Getting a 2nd hand is always a good idea. It took me around 6 jackets before I worked out my sizes. You will learn a lot from 1 or 2 used jackets.

Re the sleeves - the trim patterns will probably be narrow enough. I have thin arms and the 1930's halfbelt works fine for me.

Remember too it is easy to overthink a jacket and then become unable to choose.

Generally your first jacket will not be the keeper you hope for.

If you are in the USA maybe go to Johnson Leathers. Comperable to Aero and easier/more affordable.

Mawashi

One of the Regulars
Yes, I see. They seem to be able to do quite a bit for me, but then again I'm unsure. It feels like a lot of gambling if they don't have the measurements on hand. I don't have very large arms, so I assume I'll do OK but not perfect in the arm department.

I really like Aero, and I'll probably try to go to a stockist and feel up leather jackets and see how stuff fits. I'll have to go to a local 2nd hand shop for leather jackets and try on a bunch and see what I like; maybe a half belt isn't the right choice after all.

It feels weird that they don't measure the shoulders at all.

I too love the stuff from aero but I have rather a tough time getting stuff off the shelf as I'm in between sizes, have long arms, height arching neck and skinny arms... Sigh.

Virtually every shirt I have has folds around my neck cos of my neck and when I get the shoulders to fit the sleeves and midsection are usually too big. That or the the torso fits but my arms are sticking out 2 inches too long.

I hope you aero fits u find in standard sizes.

Getting a 2nd hand is always a good idea. It took me around 6 jackets before I worked out my sizes. You will learn a lot from 1 or 2 used jackets.

Re the sleeves - the trim patterns will probably be narrow enough. I have thin arms and the 1930's halfbelt works fine for me.

Remember too it is easy to overthink a jacket and then become unable to choose.

Generally your first jacket will not be the keeper you hope for.

If you are in the USA maybe go to Johnson Leathers. Comperable to Aero and easier/more affordable.

Hi Seb Lucas,

I hear you and I'm quite interested in this jacket but the waist is huge... 108cm I'm only 93cm max with a pants + belt.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/143544658220
Is it easy to alter the waist or should I get a better fitting jacket?

MrProper

I too love the stuff from aero but I have rather a tough time getting stuff off the shelf as I'm in between sizes, have long arms, height arching neck and skinny arms... Sigh.

Virtually every shirt I have has folds around my neck cos of my neck and when I get the shoulders to fit the sleeves and midsection are usually too big. That or the the torso fits but my arms are sticking out 2 inches too long.

The same goes for me with 6'5" and 200 lbs.
If a off the rack shirt or jacket fits on the shoulders, I can wrap it around my stomach twice and the sleeves are too short and the collar too wide. In addition, the jacket is often too short. If the length fits, then everything is too wide.
So I have button down shirts made to measure, fabric jackets come to the tailor and leather jackets have to be halfway made to measure. I hope my next aero fits well.
The last experiment with a low priced but made to measure leather jacket was very successful. I gave all the measures of the jacket, not that from my body. I have therefore translated my body measurements into jacket measurements by myself.
I hope this works just as well with field leathers.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up

I hope you aero fits u find in standard sizes.

Hi Seb Lucas,

I hear you and I'm quite interested in this jacket but the waist is huge... 108cm I'm only 93cm max with a pants + belt.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/143544658220
Is it easy to alter the waist or should I get a better fitting jacket?

I have 84cm waist or 32 inches - so much thinner than you. A srandard 42 half-belt fits well.

Mawashi

One of the Regulars
The same goes for me with 6'5" and 200 lbs.
If a off the rack shirt or jacket fits on the shoulders, I can wrap it around my stomach twice and the sleeves are too short and the collar too wide. In addition, the jacket is often too short. If the length fits, then everything is too wide.
So I have button down shirts made to measure, fabric jackets come to the tailor and leather jackets have to be halfway made to measure. I hope my next aero fits well.
The last experiment with a low priced but made to measure leather jacket was very successful. I gave all the measures of the jacket, not that from my body. I have therefore translated my body measurements into jacket measurements by myself.
I hope this works just as well with field leathers.

I'm pretty sure Greg will be more than happy to try n help. I'll give him a holler if as he's a really nice guy to discuss stuff with.

I have 84cm waist or 32 inches - so much thinner than you. A srandard 42 half-belt fits well.

I should have clarified... I'm a 93 cm in pants n a belt lol.
I'm only an 85 cm max... Gawd 93 makes me sound so fat lol!

Last edited:

MrProper

I'm pretty sure Greg will be more than happy to try n help. I'll give him a holler

I hope to get my jacket from Greg at the end of next week ;)

btw. I‘m a 90 cm on the hip and 85 cm natural waist, but 110 cm chest and only 50 cm shoulders.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I'm pretty sure Greg will be more than happy to try n help. I'll give him a holler if as he's a really nice guy to discuss stuff with.

I should have clarified... I'm a 93 cm in pants n a belt lol.
I'm only an 85 cm max... Gawd 93 makes me sound so fat lol!

Great, then a standard size should fit.

dan-dan

New in Town
I have a very standard body, so I guess it's not that much of an issue. I do however feel like Aero should provide more information and ask for more measurements than they do, but I guess they are experienced enough. I e-mailed them a few pictures of me standing up, and going to include a few more when I'm wearing my LVC jacket and asking about how to change the fit, but also the measurements of the jacket.

Mawashi

One of the Regulars
I hope to get my jacket from Greg at the end of next week ;)

btw. I‘m a 90 cm on the hip and 85 cm natural waist, but 110 cm chest and only 50 cm shoulders.

Please take some pics when you get it. I'm sure Greg does fantastic work.

Great, then a standard size should fit.

If so anything in the range of a half belt would do fine but u really had my heart set on the Maxwell or mulligan type jackets.

It seems that if I had to get something from aero it'll be a Sheen, half belt, or the premium series.

I have a very standard body, so I guess it's not that much of an issue. I do however feel like Aero should provide more information and ask for more measurements than they do, but I guess they are experienced enough. I e-mailed them a few pictures of me standing up, and going to include a few more when I'm wearing my LVC jacket and asking about how to change the fit, but also the measurements of the jacket.

As much as I love their stuff, the fear of something not fitting cos I don't have the measurements worries me enough that I'll only try an 2nd hand aero first.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto