Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Original WWII B-3 Bomber Jacket & Rare WWII Items on Auction Closing Tonight

Thedailyb

New in Town
I have a bunch of no reseve auctions closing tonight on several WWII items including a B-3 Bomber Jacket, B-11 jacket, stenciled US Navy Deck Pants / Overalls, some Vietnam dress uniforms, some rare WWII medals, a Vietnam era parachute, and a bunch of Original WWII Propaganda / Homefront Posters (some posters actually come with the original mailing envelope. I;ve never seen another one of these on eBay.)

Here are a couple of the links. Please see my other items to see the other military stuff.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Named-WWII-...omber-Flight-Jacket-B3-Coat-38R-/151976423515

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-WWII-U...users-Bib-Overalls-NXss15462-XL-/151971663097

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-Origin...ruitment-U-S-Navy-With-Envelope-/151968920176

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-Origin...oerner-Save-Fats-for-Explosives-/151968827178

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-WWII-U...ket-Parka-Size-36-Albert-Turner-/121883649126

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-1950s-...lbert-Turner-Co-MIL-S-18342-41L-/121881591188

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Named-Origi...s-Service-Ribbon-Camp-Atterbury-/121881482337

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-Vintag...Chute-Log-Book-Vietnam-Era-MA-1-/121888260541

Attachments

• upload_2016-2-14_11-10-10.png
    upload_2016-2-14_11-10-10.png
    268.1 KB · Views: 115

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Im watching, 44 bids at 350 tells me there are a ton of newbie ebay idiots bidding right now, The ONLY way to bid is put your highest bid at the last minute, otherwise you Just get sharked. Sorry but its true. Wait and see, someone will drop the hammer on it.

Good Luck, hope you get a decent chunk of change for it, its exceptional!

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Its really anybodies guess, dont get me wrong, that is still a fair price IMO, The winning bidder could have put a Real highball max bid against a Newbie bidder who did not put his highest bid down which is why it only sold for a few dollars more in the end, blame that guy for not knowing how it works. the market is so strange, there are years where they are selling high and then other times you cant give them away, and then there are dry spells for months on end... Its so hard to call it unless you are an absolute Expert.

*I searched but could not find your listing until you posted it here, I dont know WHY, but that could have been part of why I didnt see a higher bid ultimately.*

My price estimate is sometimes Way off on Jackets because I am simply middle of the road dumpster guy. My Redskin was in horrid shape, someone actually pulled it from the Trash at an estate sale and flipped it on ebay, with no tag on it and it was shredded up and totally Ratty and soaked in engine oil and Exhaust carbon. I presumed it might go as high as $600, but no one wanted it and I got it low under $200 I had a scotch on the rocks to toast my good fortune that time.

People arent Buying as much for provenance as I am apparently.

My working Margin is somewhere in the $400 Range..

dont get me wrong, I bought a Coastal command Irvin someone spent about $600 Dollars on and it sold to me for about $300.

Its wide open.

AdeeC

Practically Family
Its really anybodies guess, dont get me wrong, that is still a fair price IMO, The winning bidder could have put a Real highball max bid against a Newbie bidder who did not put his highest bid down which is why it only sold for a few dollars more in the end, blame that guy for not knowing how it works. the market is so strange, there are years where they are selling high and then other times you cant give them away, and then there are dry spells for months on end... Its so hard to call it unless you are an absolute Expert.

*I searched but could not find your listing until you posted it here, I dont know WHY, but that could have been part of why I didnt see a higher bid ultimately.*

My price estimate is sometimes Way off on Jackets because I am simply middle of the road dumpster guy. My Redskin was in horrid shape, someone actually pulled it from the Trash at an estate sale and flipped it on ebay, with no tag on it and it was shredded up and totally Ratty and soaked in engine oil and Exhaust carbon. I presumed it might go as high as $600, but no one wanted it and I got it low under $200 I had a scotch on the rocks to toast my good fortune that time.

People arent Buying as much for provenance as I am apparently.

My working Margin is somewhere in the $400 Range..

dont get me wrong, I bought a Coastal command Irvin someone spent about $600 Dollars on and it sold to me for about $300.

Its wide open.
There was one of those annoying bidders that puts multiple bids towards the end hoping to scare others off. Not only do the push the price up but give a heads up to serious bidders who usually roll over the top of them. An annoying trait appearing on Ebay. Was better when multiple bids were hidden. If there were two or more serious bidders at the end it would have sold for a lot more. In this case there was only one.

I wouldn't go so far as to call bidders Newbie Idiots, the whole process of an auction is to play this game otherwise you have the option to search Buy Now only. In the end it sells for what someone is willing to pay at the time. I just sold a nice Air Forces Europe marked M-1 Helmet for 700- and all the experts in the field and online told me NEVER more than 350- to 400- And you can spot those one after the other bidders and see right through them, small increments most of the time. It's the serious guys that come in at the last ten seconds with real bids and drive it up hundreds using a sniper service most of the time. This jacket being stiff with failing zipper and a small size, I wouldn't expect too much more than you got. A little too much pressure here or there and it would probably explode.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
All I can tell you Is I dont like getting into a bidding war with people.

I once lost my nerve with someone who was ping ponging my Bids on something Until I got frustrated and Drove the price up astronomically on him. The seller can Thank me profusely.

I dont care if that was a poor tactic, The other guy should have left it alone at that point until the last minute and saved himself a lot of money that way instead of driving the price up on himself.

Thats why I Just keep it double blind and dont start bidding until it gets heart pounding. And I Bid normally way over my maximum if its something I cant live without. Otherwise I stay out of the Auction and let it go.

All I can tell you Is I don't like getting into a bidding war with people.

I once lost my nerve with someone who was ping ponging my Bids on something Until I got frustrated and Drove the price up astronomically on him. The seller can Thank me profusely.

I dont care if that was a poor tactic, The other guy should have left it alone at that point until the last minute and saved himself a lot of money that way instead of driving the price up on himself.

Thats why I Just keep it double blind and dont start bidding until it gets heart pounding. And I Bid normally way over my maximum if its something I cant live without. Otherwise I stay out of the Auction and let it go.

Easy come easy go. My max is my max, to bid way over then it wasn't really my max. I can live without everything at too high a cost and I'm not the kind of bidder a seller should be thankful for. I'm an avid picker of all things military and I often sell on Ebay the low and high end stuff I find in the wild. This story is what I like to hear and lost nerves are a sellers friend, one or the other is going to win. Sounds like you're just as bad as the guys you're talking about my friend. Ok for you but not for him? You don't care if it's a poor tactic but others should? You might save yourself a lot of aggravation and money if you don't take another guys bidding habits personally, I don't think he even knows you're doing it just to spite him. The guys that have to win just use a sniper program and have deep pockets, the others that drive it up are the attention getters. In the end that's why an item usually gets top dollar on Ebay in my 16 years experience with it.

Don't get me wrong, not trying to bust your chops. But I've been there and done that. The only thing that ever came out of it is me wishing I didn't lose my nerve and get stuck buying the item for more than I wanted to spend. I usually just bid my max and forget about it. At times just assumed I didn't win until I checked like yesterday, won some old bakelite dice for cheap without a single bid against me.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Whose *friend* now..Come on bro Gimme a break please. You kinda are busting my chops a bit actually.

Yeah I am Just as bad, you dont need to call me out on it, at least I can admit it. I dont have bottomless pockets either, but having an auction is all about push and shove style intimidation. I know my weaknesses respectively. I aint a big swinger.

I called it as I see it and sometimes I am wrong, the other guy Was bidding back on my every bid for a long time until It got personal. Yes. It was something I thought I could win and really really wanted and Realized I wasnt going to get it at the price I could afford because someone else was making a point of letting me know the item was spoken for, and I flashed back to the time I was a little kid at an auction and some mean guy was bullying me out of bidding against him for a childrens pop-up book. There are some total Godless mutants out there, so Yeah...I was getting angry at that point. Im Just a human being, fallible and flawed.

That Bidding war was a one time Live and learn experience I had on Ebay. I wont Repeat the same mistakes twice. Its not the straight approach for everyone, but When I bid on something I want more than anything in the world Im nervous it will be sniped by another high bid...I want it bad enough to put a lot more money down last minute for good measure, and I have been lucky with this approach so far. I have been sharked on a lot of things I wanted doing it any other way.

Banzai.

Like I said, I stay out of it when I know Im beat. And I stop myself before I reach my Cracking point.

Last edited:
Well that's the name of the auction game. I've learned to just do without most things that take too much effort to obtain and most of my collection items are things I find in the field for a small fraction of the value. Ebay for me is hit or miss and not a place where I'll let my desire get the best of me. I buy to save there, consumer products, supplies for my business, etc. Even in the field I'm up against the kind of guys you speak of who flash a wad at everyone to win or use crazy tactics. Just yesterday at the flea market an old timer buys a WW2 Flight Helmet at about full value then flashes it around to everyone because he's got the most toys. Funny thing is that I could sit here in my office all day long and get them for the price he paid taking my pick on Ebay. Technology is something he's too old or more likely...stubborn to learn.

And really didn't mean to bust your chops in a mean way, kinda like a buddy would bust a buddy if ya know what I mean. Must be my East Coast mannerisms working against me again.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Its all good.

There is a certain monetary irony in the modern market when it comes to collections of this nature. Indeed truth rings when you speak of the older generation who are either passing the torch to the new blood or vice versa hoarding up the Goodies unwittingly. I live out in the country and last summer came across a pair of USAF Escape Moccasins and a Mae west Dated 1945 at a Local flea market, Both were a straight up bargain at $50 Dollars a pop (CDN). I had bought the only other pair of Escape Moccasins from ebay years ago at over $120 (US) and havent seen another pair online since...the Ebay ones were soiled and beginning to dry rot in places, the ones I paid $50 for were Literally NOS, You could still smell the fresh Buckskin like it was yesterday. Someone swiped those out of a bomber Emergency Kit and smuggled them home from the war and put them away special Im betting, either that or someone had *inside* connections from the local Armories. But there they were...sitting on the shelf Just waiting for me. I came over as if to say: hello old friend, have you been expecting me!

The old timers in this particular Flea market were selling their collections with prices that date back to about 1970 before taking a looksee at what people are forking over on the internet...but thats Just what you pay on ebay...INTERNET prices! Then again, I sometimes see Items at flea markets with Pie in the sky prices that NO one will ever buy at any price because the condition is too poor. Its a bit Tragic. Something tells me they Just took a quick glance on ebay and immediately priced their schlock accordingly.

Truth is, once I got in touch with the Seller at the flea market to see what he is holding, As soon as I showed him a couple of pieces in my collection he was asking ME to sell HIM things!!!

I believe Fair is fair in the WWII collecting market, There are those wonderful people out there who *get it* For example a seller and collector of Aviation gear used to give me amazing deals when I was a kid at the military Antique shows, because he had the foresight to know I am interested in the same things he is but didnt have the kind of money as the senior Collectors. and its a bit of a fraternity. Those are the things I will remember when its time for me to cash in on my collection...the kids who will treasure my prized possessions after I am gone is my bottom line.

Any veteran collector I've dealt with has either looked at me as competition or taken advantage of my ignorance. This was all back in the day and I'm at least knowledgeable enough now to know that about most guys out there. A few military veterans and family members over the years have been very generous due to my interest in the items they've sold me, almost as if they could hardly believe my enthusiasm over what they see as old junk. The internet for antiques is just one big typically overpriced antique store as far as I'm concerned. I use it as a search tool and research only scanning Craigslist, yard and estate sales, etc. Most of what I do find from that is flipped almost immediately after the research is done and I learned everything I could about an item or subject related to it. I just don't have the room and it's a nice supplement to my income. What I do hoard is patches because of the minimal space required and it has always been my passion. I make my living replicating them in leather for repro jackets. I frequently find them while in search of everything else. I do keep a handful of useful items like vintage jackets, some web gear with bags and pouches to carry items while picking, that sort of thing. My cell phone case is an M-14 Ammo Clip Pouch for instance. Also have a sweet Sykes Knife as my desk letter opener. But getting back on topic kinda sorta, the B3 auction here is just another jacket at top dollar for what it is. Ebay IS a great place to buy my wife her Iphone case at 10- as opposed to 35- at the mall, for consumer products and common items it's a very competitive arena.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner