Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OTHER THAN eBAY Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

RJR

If you don't find the triangular Borso box,a cardboard shipping tube trimmed to length pretty well duplicates Cristy's version of a tube.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Rolled out of bed, grabbed some coffee & found this waiting, patiently, for me on Etsy. I am quite chuffed, I have wanted a vintage borso folder, which is almost certainly is what it is, for quite a while.

I'll have to stretch it up a size but w/o a leather band to contend with it may be less traumatic than otherwise, I'm thinkin'. it looks like a good, light, unlined spring lid in great shape.

I must say it is EXACTLY finds like this that keep me almost entirely OUT of the contemporary fur felt market.

Man, Oh man oh Manischewitz did I nail a beauty. Just as nice as it looked. A LARGER punti 5 1/2 that will fit, after an overdue haircut. A real "Bucket List" hat, and it LOOKS like it was made last Monday. A 2 7/8" double stitched brim 5 1/4" open crown, a soft satin ribbon sweat, softest, thinnest, most highly & skillfully pounced felt I have ever seen. Soft as a wabbit, thin as a wafer and light as a butterfly's wing, pristine, couldn't ask for anything more. :thumb:

I am sure we have some digital scales in a lab somewhere at school, I'se g'wine weigh this at the next opportunity, it is unbelievable. I must be livin' right. Hands down the finest fur felt I've seen.:faint2:

Last edited:

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Can never be reproduced? Give me a well-oiled engine fan, and I could pump these bad boys out, no trouble.

[ATTAC bowler and akubra 004.jpg H=CONFIG]12270[/ATTACH] bowler and akubra 002.jpg bowler and akubra 003.jpg bowler and akubra 004.jpg

Hi Folks
My two most recent purchased arrived today.
The snowy river brown fedora is super with a nice wide brim...
The black bowler is from Dunn an Company and is in mint condition... Love the bowler for $29.00

Thank you for lookiing and your reply's.
Best regards.
CCJ

Attachments

• bowler and akubra 001.jpg
    bowler and akubra 001.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 737

ManofKent

Garrett - nice straw!

CCJ - good finds. I think the Dunn & Co is late 50's/early 60's from the label, looks in great condition and at that price you can't go wrong.

Rick Blaine

So I went looking for a Tilley

...being as how we are fast approaching the "hotter'n baked hell" season. I had my heart set on the TH5, nice hat.

Instead I found & bought this antique -

A 1982 tagged Tilley made, signed & dated by Mr. Tilley himself!

A little more brim than I was interested in. But it is dated '82, a full two years prior to them going "big".

I wonder if Alex would like to swap?

fedoracentric

Banned
Went to an antique mall yesterday and saw a 1940s era Cavanaugh in a really nice darkish gray. It did have a Cav edge (I think). The reason I say "I think" is because someone put a ribbon binding on the brim edge. But the binding was not flat. You could feel a bump inside the binding. It seemed to me that someone put the binding right over the top of the cav edge. This trim was obviously after market, too, because the stitching was fairly unprofessional. Or maybe the bump of the cav edge made putting the binding on more difficult than the hatter was used to, perhaps?

The guy wanted $200 for it so I passed it up, but it sure was weird.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy