Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OTHER THAN eBAY Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Anyone interested in a 10,000X straw hat?

View attachment 411278

;)
With that many x's the original selling price must have been astronomical!

trillion.jpg

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
An Etsy defeat, and a major bummer.
This old Resistol popped up on Etsy for a good price. There were good exterior shots, but only a couple of close up shots of ithe nterior and a vague circumference measurement. So, I asked seller for measurements of the opening front to back and side to side, plus questions about the condition of the sweat and stitching. Got back a measurement of 8" X 6 1/2", and the sweat looked like there was a "loose thread"that she didn't think affected the wearability. I should have requested more pics...
Well, the reality was quite different. The loose thread was about half the sweatband stitching come loose from the reed. The rest ripped out like perforated toilet paper. And the measurements? Not even close, even with the sweat out. It's tagged a 6 7/8. I was going to return it immediately, but the felt...
The felt is wonderful. The kittens did a great job finishing this one! :) I think it is worth the purchase price by itself, and worth being restored. So, if anyone wants to pick it up for a project or to send it away to be fixed, let me know.

Here's some pics.

20220324_164834.jpg 20220324_164851.jpg 20220324_164907.jpg 20220324_164956.jpg 20220324_164930.jpg 20220324_165043.jpg 20220324_165022.jpg 20220324_165100.jpg 20220324_165133.jpg 20220324_165231.jpg

Pardon the loose threads...
The crown is 5 1/4",the brim 2 5/8".101g with all parts on the scale, 76g with just felt and ribbon. No mothing that I detect.

Maybe my defeat could be your win!

An Etsy defeat, and a major bummer.
This old Resistol popped up on Etsy for a good price. There were good exterior shots, but only a couple of close up shots of ithe nterior and a vague circumference measurement. So, I asked seller for measurements of the opening front to back and side to side, plus questions about the condition of the sweat and stitching. Got back a measurement of 8" X 6 1/2", and the sweat looked like there was a "loose thread"that she didn't think affected the wearability. I should have requested more pics...
Well, the reality was quite different. The loose thread was about half the sweatband stitching come loose from the reed. The rest ripped out like perforated toilet paper. And the measurements? Not even close, even with the sweat out. It's tagged a 6 7/8. I was going to return it immediately, but the felt...
The felt is wonderful. The kittens did a great job finishing this one! :) I think it is worth the purchase price by itself, and worth being restored. So, if anyone wants to pick it up for a project or to send it away to be fixed, let me know.

Here's some pics.

View attachment 412963 View attachment 412964 View attachment 412965 View attachment 412966 View attachment 412967 View attachment 412968 View attachment 412969 View attachment 412970 View attachment 412971 View attachment 412972

Pardon the loose threads...
The crown is 5 1/4",the brim 2 5/8".101g with all parts on the scale, 76g with just felt and ribbon. No mothing that I detect.

Maybe my defeat could be your win!
A real beautiful felt. Too bad on the stitching.. sometimes that thread just dry rots. otherwise the holes in the sweat looked ok.. correct? I think @Randall Renshaw has had some good results reattaching these.. but it is real tedious

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
A real beautiful felt. Too bad on the stitching.. sometimes that thread just dry rots. otherwise the holes in the sweat looked ok.. correct? I think @Randall Renshaw has had some good results reattaching these.. but it is real tedious
The holes seem intact, but it was a reeded sweat, and both the thread holding the leather to the reed and the thread holding it all to the hat was shot. Plus the reed itself fell apart. It needs a new sweat for sure, so a sizing up to a 7 would be a possibility.

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
1648179611161.png

Durn, Moehawk, you have me worried. I just won one that looks exactly like yours from Shop Goodwill having the same ambiguous measurements given by the seller.
Hope when it arrives it isn’t deje vu all over again. I’ll let y’all know how it goes.

6 7/8 is too small of a hat to bring up to my 7 1/4 size, but I have had great success bringing many 7s up two sizes. Matter of fact, I have one almost finished that I can’t wait to display. Even in hand there’s no detectable damage or deformations of any kind. Unbelievable, I know, but true.
And yes, tedious re-sewing reed-less sweats directly to felt, but worth the trouble on very special hats.

Last edited:

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
You’re probably right Bob, so you saw that’n too, eh? Great hat!
Since my punched in bid was $232.65 I would’ve likely won’t that nice dove gray Whippet as well, but when I waited till the last second to bid somehow the site threw up a prompt saying I wasn’t signed in?!!!
Been waiting a long time for that hat.
Upsetting. But the Harry R. helped me get over it. Especially if our hunch is right...

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 413005
Durn, Moehawk, you have me worried. I just won one that looks exactly like yours from Shop Goodwill having the same ambiguous measurements given by the seller.
Hope when it arrives it isn’t deje vu all over again. I’ll let y’all know how it goes.

6 7/8 is too small of a hat to bring up to my 7 1/4 size, but I have had great success bringing many 7s up two sizes. Matter of fact, I have one almost finished that I can’t wait to display. Even in hand there’s no detectable damage or deformations of any kind. Unbelievable, I know, but true.
And yes, tedious re-sewing reed-less sweats directly to felt, but worth the trouble on very special hats.
I hope yours is everything mine was supposed to have been. The felt really is nice.
I ended up messaging the Etsy seller about the ummm...overly rosy description of the condition and the poor measurements. Not expecting a return due to the fact that I didn't get pics of the condition it arrived in before I started messing with it, but the seller looks to be new to the game (not many items, only one review) so I figured she should know how picky hat collectors are! :).

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
I hope yours is everything mine was supposed to have been. The felt really is nice.
I ended up messaging the Etsy seller about the ummm...overly rosy description of the condition and the poor measurements. Not expecting a return due to the fact that I didn't get pics of the condition it arrived in before I started messing with it, but the seller looks to be new to the game (not many items, only one review) so I figured she should know how picky hat collectors are! :).
That was a quick shipment. Got the Resistol today and it’s a size 7 1/4. Great! Looks good but needs a few things done and will turn out looking sharp. 5 1/2 crown, 2 5/8 brim.
It’s nowhere near the color depicted in the photos, which makes it even better. Looked like another silverbelly with tan trim, but instead Army drab olive colors. Don’t have a hat with these shades so, perfect! Nuther Rolnick for the collection.
I need to start selling again...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran