Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OTHER THAN eBAY Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I don't think I'd buy one (brim is too short for me), but it was ice to see one, anyway.

They are not all the same. Some CVs have one ribbon, some another. Some have bound edges, some don't. Some have brims of one width, some of another, and so on.

HatsEnough

Banned
They are not all the same. Some CVs have one ribbon, some another. Some have bound edges, some don't. Some have brims of one width, some of another, and so on.

Now that is odd. It isn't much of a "model" if they are so varied! Are all these differences in the same time period? I mean, I realize that a Whippet varied in style but only over the whole run of the hat, not in the same times period. (In other words early Whippets had wider brims in the 40s, then in the 50s went down to 2-1/2, then in the 60s they even had some shorter)

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Goodwill score that I intend to fedorafy, a Resistol "Futurity":
sa555294196-11.jpg

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Rick, I noticed some "foxing" in the liner - how do you go about removing them?
Isn't that a sign of mildew?

I have always just worn 'em without regard. I live in the South where mildew & mold make up the vast majority of the biomass!
We laugh at Aspergillus! Bwahahahaha!

Although I read (from the Art Collectors POV) that sometimes what looks like foxing (Ferric OXide) or mildew not always is, but instead oxidation of the cloth/dyes.
Perhaps if any of the dyes or fabric (or printing plates used to produce the graphics/text) contain copper or iron these elements may oxidize under damp conditions and leave a precipitate. Reddish for iron (think rust) & green for copper, although on textiles & paper it is more brownish.

Although now there seems to be a broader view ascribing moisture and cellulose and possibly oxygen as the only necessary ingredients to achieve such staining.
The presence of fungi and/or metals would act only as attractive sites for moisture and consequent browning.

WTH? Who knows? I just wear 'em. [huh]

Justin B

One Too Many
il_570xN.272209492.jpg

Josh costs me money again. I swear, if he isn't spending his cash on some nice hats...he's spending mine. LOL....not that I mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk