Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OTHER THAN eBAY Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Thanks guys. I’m getting a small pile of size 7 hats. Maybe I can trade them to @steur for a nice 7-1/2 LO Homburg in brown. :)
^^^^^Now ya thinkin!!
I like the way you're thinking! Pin-heads to the rescue:D
It does look like a gorgeous hat and in a nice blue grey colour to boot. Now I only have to sift through my collection of hens teeth to look for a 7-1/2 homburg in brown! Never mind the LO bit, which does not exist this side of the Atlantic.
But hold on to the thought and do not adjust your set....

I like the way you're thinking! Pin-heads to the rescue:D
It does look like a gorgeous hat and in a nice blue grey colour to boot. Now I only have to sift through my collection of hens teeth to look for a 7-1/2 homburg in brown! Never mind the LO bit, which does not exist this side of the Atlantic.
But hold on to the thought and do not adjust your set....

7-5/8 would work... :D

Fezident

New in Town
2CFAEC02-C4F2-4270-97C4-3A02510203B7.png
Victorfeat?

I’m experimenting with different styles/colors/crown heights/brim widths, etc. to see which work best for me. Adding complexity, my head is shaped like a hatchet and I have a proud nose bordering on arrogance. A brim width that looks good from the side recalls the Flying Nun when seen from the front. I needed a cheap and easy way to narrow down options so I could reduce the number of “mistake hats” I buy.

Enter Amazon and Bailey’s.

They had several models of “ straw” hats under $10. A few wool hats under $20. WIthin a model/size, one color might be $70, a different color $7. I bought 5 hats for less than $30 - 2 “shantung” and 3 “toyo”. Prices are dynamic: one hat I bought immediately went up $1.50 in price after my order. A few hours later, the price was back to within $0.20 of my purchase. I’m keeping 3 of them, sending 2 back.

I have a better understanding of which characteristics work best and I have an ample supply for those times when it becomes necessary to throw my hat on the floor and stomp on it.

Attached picture shows why access to steam could come in handy.

MondoFW

Practically Family
I was having a bad week, but a hat was delivered today! This is usually somewhat stressful as my wife never knows until the box hits the porch. Her anger is offset by the joy the hat brings me. :D

Not today though. No hat joy at all as it doesn't fit! I did my due diligence, but still have a size 7 hat in hand (and I'm a 7-1/2 or 7-5/8).

Ugh... (and it is nicer than the photos show) :(

View attachment 122641

View attachment 122642

View attachment 122643

View attachment 122644
Absolute shame about that hat! Looks wonderful. What decade was it made?

Telemaster

One of the Regulars
Was super-excited about this western I found on a web classified page here in Germany. There was no size visible in photos and the text said nothing (actually text said the size was 5x). I sent a message asking for the actual size that might be found under the band, or for the measured size. They replied with 58 cm. Bingo!.... sold! ....sadly, it just arrived and very clearly has a 60cm tag under band. Technically, they didn’t say whether their 58 was measured or under the band... so I guess I’m the idiot.... the hat is pretty cool though.... <sniff>
2C66D72D-0947-4D6A-A699-891532DFA0F1.jpeg
EA5CDAC7-842C-4C22-B509-669FCA2AEF10.jpeg
E1162690-43A5-46A9-B57E-6585EC0D5662.jpeg
DC3ED05F-43DF-430D-8949-208719EF0821.jpeg

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Fold up some Euros and fit them under the band to make it fit!

The method makes for a great way to keep emergency taxi fare.

All the best,
Daniel

Was super-excited about this western I found on a web classified page here in Germany. There was no size visible in photos and the text said nothing (actually text said the size was 5x). I sent a message asking for the actual size that might be found under the band, or for the measured size. They replied with 58 cm. Bingo!.... sold! ....sadly, it

Just Daniel

One Too Many
The ~$40 Stetson 100 off of Goodwill from a few weeks ago.

No size tag, no inventory tags, plastic over the liner, maple leaf on liner crest. Final size - 7 1/4.

Needs a little TLC. Not a bad buy, a fun day over at Goodwill.

IMG-20180624-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20180624-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20180624-WA0006.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20180624-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20180624-WA0008.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG-20180624-WA0026.jpg
    IMG-20180624-WA0026.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG-20180624-WA0027.jpg
    IMG-20180624-WA0027.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 115

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
I need some advice with this Borsalino on Ebay. I don't want to take up too much of Stefan's time. Can you guys advise me?
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/223006420438
What are those small dark holes on the ribbon? Are they from sewing the ribbon or the sweatband? And the short white line in the lateral view? And the picture of the tag under the sweatband that has the numbers 195087? Does that mean the hat was made in 1950? On August 7? Or does that have nothing to do with anything? And it has a windtrolley... Does that place it in a particular time period?
It says "Qualitá Superiore". I have seen some Borsalinos that say "Qualitá extra extra superiore". Is there like a ranking of Borsalino quality grades, and where could I read about them?
Thanks for your help. I dislike not understanding things. I hope you can instruct me.
Like I told Stefan, if any of you ever needs to understand anything about dentistry, feel free to PM me.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
551c727537fe5c137afac22eedf9186b.jpg
31a9051fc312349c82030b3cb225056d.jpg
ba02bedbecd5c55fdfd3b3aac29206dd.jpg
1dc0173081580b70f68bbb4116db4007.jpg

Last edited:
I need some advice with this Borsalino on Ebay. I don't want to take up too much of Stefan's time. Can you guys advise me?
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/223006420438
What are those small dark holes on the ribbon? Are they from sewing the ribbon or the sweatband? And the short white line in the lateral view? And the picture of the tag under the sweatband that has the numbers 195087? Does that mean the hat was made in 1950? On August 7? Or does that have nothing to do with anything? And it has a windtrolley... Does that place it in a particular time period?
It says "Qualitá Superiore". I have seen some Borsalinos that say "Qualitá extra extra superiore". Is there like a ranking of Borsalino quality grades, and where could I read about them?
Thanks for your help. I dislike not understanding things. I hope you can instruct me.
Like I told Stefan, if any of you ever needs to understand anything about dentistry, feel free to PM me.

From the looks of it, it appears to be somewhat modern. For the best education, start in the first page of the Borsalino Brotherhood and read, read, read. A wealth of information stored there.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Hey Doc:
Good advice ^^^^.
My 2 cents.
That black liner, that black sweat and size tag says “modern” to me. No way that’s a 1955 Borsa. Those #s are fairly meaningless. Imho.
It’s a nice looking hat all be it way to expensive. The gills are nice. Compared to all your Optimos i think you might be disappointed. My 2cents.
B

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Hey Doc:
Good advice ^^^^.
My 2 cents.
That black liner, that black sweat and size tag says “modern” to me. No way that’s a 1955 Borsa. Those #s are fairly meaningless. Imho.
It’s a nice looking hat all be it way to expensive. The gills are nice. Compared to all your Optimos i think you might be disappointed. My 2cents.
B
Thank you!

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up

The Borsalino, showed, was made in 1987 specifically for the American market
We are in the historical period in which the original property had sold to two Italian families who carried on the management of the company. The products of the period are of excellent quality and also excellent in some cases. Keep in mind that the production of Borsalino has always been, even now, many, indeed many hats to meet the needs of the markets
It is a homburg with the distinction of having a pleated ribbon that is not very common in the production of the house of Alexandria.
From the photographs I can not see the details you want to know the origin, if you want to be more specific by showing me the details, I can, maybe help you.
Borsalino has never had a precise classification in its products and the shape, felt denoted the price. The various stamps such as 5X or 6X and also the various words Extra repeated or other words are almost always marketing indications. The numbers with the X are expressly for the American market, no Borsalino sold in Europe or other countries reports such indications. On the quality of felt I can say that except for surprises in those years Borsalino had a very good quality, like now for some hats.
Your trusted hatter Optimo seems to have "studied or done his apprenticeship" in Italy. I would guess in Cappellificio Cervo for the shapes of hats that are the least "American" of all those other hatters in the US :rolleyes:

551c727537fe5c137afac22eedf9186b.jpg
31a9051fc312349c82030b3cb225056d.jpg
ba02bedbecd5c55fdfd3b3aac29206dd.jpg
1dc0173081580b70f68bbb4116db4007.jpg
We are in the historical period in which the original property had sold to two Italian families who carried on the management of the company. The products of the period are of excellent quality and also excellent in some cases. Keep in mind that the production of Borsalino has always been, even now, many, indeed many hats to meet the needs of the markets
It is a homburg with the distinction of having a pleated ribbon that is not very common in the production of the house of Alexandria.
From the photographs I can not see the details you want to know the origin, if you want to be more specific by showing me the details, I can, maybe help you.
Borsalino has never had a precise classification in its products and the shape, felt denoted the price. The various stamps such as 5X or 6X and also the various words Extra repeated or other words are almost always marketing indications. The numbers with the X are expressly for the American market, no Borsalino sold in Europe or other countries reports such indications. On the quality of felt I can say that except for surprises in those years Borsalino had a very good quality, like now for some hats.
Your trusted hatter Optimo seems to have "studied or done his apprenticeship" in Italy. I would guess in Cappellificio Cervo for the shapes of hats that are the least "American" of all those other hatters in the US :rolleyes:
I concur with my fellow collector Daniele, who has both the benefit of being a collector of fine hats longer and actually lives in the country where this one was made. This is not a vintage hat, not by lounge standards anyway, but a fairly modern one. That being said: it will still have the quality of a borsalino. To my mind it's priced too high and certainly higher than I would pay. But it is a bigger size than mine and it has a shark gill bow, so there's that. Make the seller an offer I'd say.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Molte grazie, Daniele.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto