Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OTHER THAN eBAY Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

randooch

I'll Lock Up
I won this Dobbs shantung for a song. Thought I'd join the list of you folks who have tried to reshape these hats. Also, I'm hoping it has snugged up a bit; a 7 5/8 might be too loose on me.

sa6637688104-g9.jpg

Cashmere

New in Town
Non-eBay Hunting Grounds

Hi Guys,

Has anyone had decent luck finding decent hats at Goodwill, estate sales, etc.? Are there any good hat hunting grounds other than eBay and retail?

And... anyone got any good stories to tell, like scoring a Borsalino for $5 from some kid who thought it looked old and dorky?

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
That's remarkable!

I find some sweet deals every so often, but lately it takes travelling to the smaller towns' antique stores. People in town are "wising up," that is to say many of them literally look to Ebay when I ask them what they want for this or that untagged hat, etc.

Recently I found two mint hats in a small neighboring town (proudly posted previously) for $20 each: the silver belly Resistol "wide country" and a silver belly OR royal deluxe. It's not five bucks, but still more my speed.

On the other hand, this week I saw a beat up old derby with a sweatband barely hanging on for $50 next to a stained and crumpled heathered Borsalino stingy for $65. Sorry-- that's way overpriced for me to have to send it somewhere and get repaired, etc.

A different shopowner keeps quoting me higher and higher prices for a derby and top hat that he calls "perfect condition" where the top hat has holes, dents, creases, and a disintegrated sweatband that he assures me "can be easily steamed out by our local western retailer..." The derby's binding is majorly fraying and the sweatband is also tearing. To his credit, the derby felt is rather nice.
Still, he won't take less than $75 for it, but offered both for $100. Frankly, that's still out of my league for a rescue mission.
I've gone back to his store every so often for about 2 years, just to see how high the price quotes climb-- it's just a game for me now!

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I bought this great lot of Vintage Grosgrain ribbon. It appears to be from the 40's or 50's. Whats nice is that I believe its the "good" ribbon with the correct make up of cotton and "natural fiber" rayon. The ribbon doesn't appear to have that shinny synthetic appearence, so it should mold and act like ribbon that was used in the 20's/30's. Thats some great stuff.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/84454954/vintage-lot-50s-grosgrain-ribbon

SteveAS

Practically Family
Bought this off etsy. Based on my research looks to be from the 50s but could be wrong. Figured it was a good starter hat.

http://img3.etsystatic.com/il_fullxfull.275291015.jpg

From its proportions (short crown and brim), I'd guess it's from the 60s. It's hard to be sure from just the one picture (and without seeing the inside), but it looks like a well-made hat with nice felt. Congratulations!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy