Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OTHER THAN eBAY Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
...being as how we are fast approaching the "hotter'n baked hell" season. I had my heart set on the TH5, nice hat.

Instead I found & bought this antique -

A 1982 tagged Tilley made, signed & dated by Mr. Tilley himself!
A little more brim than I was interested in. But it is dated '82, a full two years prior to them going "big".

I wonder if Alex would like to swap?

I've always called these "sailing hats" because they are what myself and many other sailors I know wear when we're out sailing our boats. I've never known the actual name for them or the history. Mine has a tag that says it was made in Tampa, FL, but I can't make out the manufacturer's name. All I know as it's a great hat to keep one cool and shaded in the the summer heat, and is nearly indestructible.

guitarmasta12

A-List Customer
Here's an etsy win. $25! This is a 50s genuine Knox fifteen!

DSC00103_zpsad0c413f.jpg

DSC00108_zps7f5d1ce1.jpg

DSC00107_zpsa88ea38e.jpg

DSC00106_zps11b2fc00.jpg

guitarmasta12

A-List Customer
Don't even need the tags or the block # to know that. It has a back bow. That was popular in the late 50s and only for a few short seasons. (Though there are back bows from earlier in the century, it wasn't that popular an idea.)

Yeah I know. I'm just saying that because it's my first one with the original tags. The size tag fell out. I'm thinking of putting a little super glue on it so it will stick on the sweat again. You think that would be fine?

fedoracentric

Banned
Funny, when I looked in the inside of the sweat it came right off. I kept it just to put it back in.
Ha, I've had that happen, too. The reason I wouldn't use super glue as I don't think paper to leather is a good match for super glue. Because it is so pliable, I think it'll just break loose too easily. Good ol' Elmers will work... at least, I've used it several times and it has worked for me.

Mr.Astor

Banned
Alan you're right on with Fabri-tac my wife has been using it for a long time!! She sensed my frustration one day with a sweat that separated a little bit. She said I have something. Just be careful! I had no idea that her sewing experience could intertwine with hat making. Go figure,their day is Sunday! Recognize them.

I recently purchased this 222 page book on felt hat fabrication from Deustchen Hutmacher Zeitung (German Hat Makers News, 1933). It should arrive some time next week. It should contain some very interesting information.

14000274837_6e8722bddd_c.jpg

14186859764_7bb3b4f58b_c.jpg

14184292152_a54732273b_c.jpg

Last edited:

Annixter

Practically Family
I experienced a missed opportunity today that is still gnawing at me. I was at a local flea market this morning, and I walked into a seller's stall who I have purchased some nice vintage items from before. The seller was talking to a gruff gentleman who was wearing a very beat up, torn, greasy fedora (looked like a vintage piece), and she said, "Since you are wearing that type of hat, check out my father's hat I have here." She proceeded to pull out a fedora from under the table near me. I could tell it was vintage from the start: a nice cream color felt, black ribbon, and matching black brim treatment. From my vantage point, it looked like it was in excellent condition. The gentleman took off his tattered rag hat and tried on the seller's fedora. It was comically too small for his head, which he himself pointed out. Then he proceeded to grab it harshly by the brim on both sides and tugged it down somewhat lower on his head. I cringed and then got excited at the prospect of him passing on it wherein I would be able to have a look, but before I could do anything, she asked him for $25, he countered with $10, the seller took his money, and he stumbled off with his friend. As he took off the fedora to put on his rag hat, I saw the liner: It was a late 40's/early 50's Harry Rolnick Resistol! If I had only gotten to that stall 30 seconds sooner, I would have seen the darn thing first.:eusa_doh:

I'm trying to allay my frustration by remembering that the fedora looked small, so it was probably not going to fit my 7-1/8 noggin in the first place (or maybe it would have?). Also, I didn't get to inspect it closely, so it could have been riddled with moth holes and other damage (or maybe it was pristine). Still, I feel pretty crummy that the piece of history is now in a brute's hands who will likely convert it into the type of rag hat he was wearing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points