Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OTHER THAN eBAY Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

The real victory needs its own post because of the number of pics allowed.
Berteil in navy blue. Can't wait for this one.
bb2.jpeg
bb3.jpeg
bb4.jpeg

wsmontana

A-List Customer
This mystery hat described as “Brown Resistol Western Hat Sz 7 1/4” turned into a pleasant surprise for both fit and quality. I purchased it as a two hat bundle and the other hat was my primary target as it was well photographed and in my size. The only close up label shown in the listing of the mystery hat was of the “Non-Conforming“ label so I really wasn’t sure what I was getting. It turned out to be a 10X beaver “Designed by Harry Rolnick for …“. The hat is in perfect condition and actually fits me quite well.
C2F9BB3B-1399-4C5D-8EC9-939B2DF1BCBB.jpeg
3F1C91FF-D7F8-4C53-A4C0-D97B7494D25E.jpeg
E465A464-AA32-467B-8E20-F9352BC3E3F0.jpeg

Last edited:
Now that's a crown height I can be behind ... or under.

Congrats on this and the Borsalinos Stefan!
I can see why! Good get Stefan.
Hilarious accounting of a down and out hat.
Luckily this malcontent felt has a merciful mentor.
Give that boy a second chance. He may surprise you. Lol
B
Hilarious accounting of a down and out hat.
Luckily this malcontent felt has a merciful mentor.
Give that boy a second chance. He may surprise you. Lol
B
Oh my Stefan!
A Berteil...such a unicorn. Such a history leading to Borsalino.
No doubt you are thrilled.
A dedicated thread will be welcomed.
B
Thank you, Bob and Bowen. You can expect a full report of course once these arrive. As for the Woodrow; we'll see what we can do about that once once it returns from Penumbra.

wsmontana

A-List Customer
Nice! You had me at the red liner, but the "made for" ... makes it!

Thanks for your reply!

I’ve read in another thread on this site that the red liners existed from the mid 50’s to mid 60’s. Do you know much more about them?

Harry Rolnick was one of the founders of Resistol and he retired in the early 1960s according to this article http://www.garlandhistorical.org/on...gn-innovations-put-byer-rolnick-ahead-of-rest

I found a sold listing on Etsy with the “Designed by Harry Rolnick for …” label:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/595293...how_sold_out_detail=1&ref=nla_listing_details

All in all, I think I could have a hat with some age, rarity, and quality.

Last edited:

wsmontana

A-List Customer
I picked up a pair of mystery hats that I’m still gathering information on. It seems there aren’t a lot of Royal Deluxe Stetsonians around.

The listing for these had no interior shots or size information. I took a guess as to the sizes based on how they fit the model in the listing. I guessed 7 3/8 and 7 1/2 but they turned out to be 7 5/8 and 7 3/4. These hats were big enough on the model so I could sneak a peak at the “xe” of “Royal Deluxe“ on the sweatband. I thought they might be Whippets so I took a gamble and picked these up at $60 each.

A tag in one of the boxes shows the hat came from a shop called “de Marchin“ and was listed at $245.

Unfortunately these are too big for me but hopefully they will be an easy resell.

I’m hoping I can tap into the vast knowledge here to pick up more information. Fingers crossed that this purchase will end up a victory.

2BD9CCBD-D9C1-4EAF-857A-1060261902C3.jpeg
EE5BEA47-2F92-4E08-8CC0-0DD087AA7D28.jpeg
A502467C-64B2-4E3D-B45F-120C067663F0.jpeg
E0FB836F-14BF-4EC7-8B74-3757C8D2C845.jpeg

Louis Mountbatten

One of the Regulars
I picked up a pair of mystery hats that I’m still gathering information on. It seems there aren’t a lot of Royal Deluxe Stetsonians around.

The listing for these had no interior shots or size information. I took a guess as to the sizes based on how they fit the model in the listing. I guessed 7 3/8 and 7 1/2 but they turned out to be 7 5/8 and 7 3/4. These hats were big enough on the model so I could sneak a peak at the “xe” of “Royal Deluxe“ on the sweatband. I thought they might be Whippets so I took a gamble and picked these up at $60 each.

A tag in one of the boxes shows the hat came from a shop called “de Marchin“ and was listed at $245.

Unfortunately these are too big for me but hopefully they will be an easy resell.

I’m hoping I can tap into the vast knowledge here to pick up more information. Fingers crossed that this purchase will end up a victory.

View attachment 405381 View attachment 405382 View attachment 405383 View attachment 405384
Hey those are nice. Brand new Stetsonians. They are absolutely worth $60 apiece!!! At that size, you should be able to double your money on ebay, I'd say.

View attachment 405381 View attachment 405382 View attachment 405383 View attachment 405384

A few years ago Stetson had an employee who did his best to bring back some of the great old hats and styling, but he has moved on and Stetson isn’t making many open crown fedoras at the moment. Stetson has been making hats with the Stetsonian name for around 100 years and the older ones are quite valuable. Your modern, yet discontinued, hats are well-regarded for the modern age. Many of us here own one or more of them. There is definitely a market for them. If the condition is excellent I’d say maybe as high as $150. You never know and some great hats languish and some average hats sell way above their value. I’d hit you up on the 7 5/8 but I already have that same hat.

Some reading for you:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112