Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Others Reactions To Your Comments

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
I know we have a "dummest comment" and "nicest comment" threads...but what about when we comment others? Today I ventured out to the local shop and save, and encountered a nice older gentleman who was wearing a nice outfit, long coat, and a driving cap, and looked very nice, so while passing him I said "I like your hat sir" and continued walking, the look he gave me was quite comical, it was a mixture between "is that young wippersnapper making fun of me?" and" hmm, it's been a while since someones commented my hat!" It simply made my day! :) How do others react to your comments?

Retro66

New in Town
Vary true...

Living out here in L.A. People just sometimes freeze :eek: when you make a polite comment about there clothes, hats, etc... I always just say thank you.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Cool thread idea, Caity. I'll have to pay more attention to how that exchange goes. I'm always wearing one of my fedoras (or occasionally westerns) when I encounter someone else sportin' a proper hat, so I usually give 'em sort of a salute from the brim of my lid and a smile and they get it.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
Torpedo said:
Eeeeh... I'm seeing double or what? O qué? :D
Invasion of the body snatchers maybe? They're among us!:eek:

lol, and this is why I love this forum....because other people actually know what the heck I'm talking about!!!

(great movie!)

WARNING: Snark ahead!
Not from hats, but I typically get a lot of confused looks...

then again, my response to their opening shots is usually in the vein of "Clarify: opinion (yours), relevance of."

Of course, they use any longer words I'm also known to counter with "Wow, you used a word with more than two syllables. Need some ice for that sprained brain?"

rrog

A-List Customer
One's right hand is under the left arm, the other is over it. One's shirt it unbuttoned a couple of buttons, the other is buttoned up more. One's fence is weather-beaten, the other is painted. Nah, I don't see any resemblance, not at all.

:) ;) :p :D lol :eusa_clap

Very creative DC.

rrog

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Saw a guy at the store wearing a lightweight Champ (I know because it was just like mine). It was open crowned and the brim turned up all the way around. :eek:

Anyways, I say "nice hat" and he says nothing but looks alittle confused. Guess he hasn't had many hat comments before. ;)

What's the High Sign?!!!

Ocassionally, I run into a fellow in a fine fedora. If time permits I'll say nice hat and ask what brand it is. SInce I am normally wearing one they tend to respond well, it's like a secret handshake from a secret society.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Mr. Paladin said:
Those dueling avatars are a HOOT!

PA080096.jpg

I see your
NotIndyCopAvatar.jpg

and raise you a,
PB230173.jpg

:cool2: :D lol

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Not so much a reaction to my comment as a reaction to someone elses comment.

I went to a Christmas party over the weekend and of course I topped off my Black pin stripe suit with a black fedora......

As my wife and I were leaving we walked out to the coat check and I retrieved our coats and my lid.

We were walking toward the door of the hotel and one of the guests who knows me said " What funeral home did you get that hat at?" and then started laughing.....

Before I could say anything one of the women walking down the hallway turned and said, "I think that is a wonderful hat and he looks quite nice in it".

Well that made a couple of other women turn and they each made a complimentary comment also.. My wife smiled and tightened her arm around me as I Thanked the ladies....

As I walked away I said to the jokester "women know style and class when they see it." ;)

His comment, "I guess so"

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
Ordinary Guy said:
Not so much a reaction to my comment as a reaction to someone elses comment.

I went to a Christmas party over the weekend and of course I topped off my Black pin stripe suit with a black fedora......

As my wife and I were leaving we walked out to the coat check and I retrieved our coats and my lid.

We were walking toward the door of the hotel and one of the guests who knows me said " What funeral home did you get that hat at?" and then started laughing.....

Before I could say anything one of the women walking down the hallway turned and said, "I think that is a wonderful hat and he looks quite nice in it".

Well that made a couple of other women turn and they each made a complimentary comment also.. My wife smiled and tightened her arm around me as I Thanked the ladies....

As I walked away I said to the jokester "women know style and class when they see it." ;)

His comment, "I guess so"

LOL!!! I'm usually that women in situations like that :rolleyes: But I do love when people defend things, it amuses me so!

TopGumby

One of the Regulars
At work, I complimented a customer on his Stetson Gun Club. He lit up like a Christmas tree, and instantly took it off to show me the markings on the liner and sweatband. I asked him how he'd creased it, and that launched a brief discussion on the merits of water vs. steam, snapping brims and how best to let a wet hat dry.

The man shook my hand and said, "Most folks around here don't know a thing about real hats. It's good to talk to somebody who knows what he's looking at."

I got a questioning look from a coworker after the man left. I told him to get with the times...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner