Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Our own vintage town

Wild Root

Gone Home
rubyredlocks said:
Like others,I'd like our own name.Something that expresses the sentiment of our town and it's fondness for nostalgia.Hmmm...would nostalgia be too gimmicky?

Nostalgia Falls,perhaps.

I'd like to have a casual neighborhood diner with a southern slant using my great grandmothers recipes.
Ruby's would serve things like beans and cornbread,fried green tomatoes,pork chops with homemade applesauce,and sweet potato pie.Iced tea and lemonade in jelly jars.Coca-cola only in bottles.All the food would be served on jadite and the utensils would have bakelite handles.
On friday and saturday evenings some of the tables would be moved out of the way to make room for jitterbugs dancing to the local western swing band.The adults could enjoy a nightcap of Kentucky bourbon,or spiked lemonade,but nothing too rowdy as this is a family establishment.My husband would serve the alcohol.He'd also slip any gentleman who prefered Jack and Coke a nip,while his proud Kentucky born wife pretends not to notice.

Now,I noticed some of you have expressed a distaste for southern fare,so I think we also need a neighborhood italian eatery.I'm sure that I'd tire of my own cooking and would be found breaking bread here with the hubby on our date night.
So,who can give us some good italian cuisine?

Oooooh man, YOU'RE HIRED!!! :D That kind of cooking is right up my street!
I'm so hungry now... why did you have to mention cornbread and pork chops and home made applesauce! Now, I'm just dieing to eat there! I also love Country Western swing... but, we'd have to have a mix of other great swing classics in the Juke too!

A nice little Italian joint wouldn't be half bad, a nice dark little slice of Italy... candles on each table and the best Pizza and other fun Italian food in town! Darn it... I've got to get some lunch now! lol

=WR=

Wild Root said:
Willoughby is a Nerd's last name! The kind when his name is called in class everyone laughs! We need a name that is strong but kind, that sounds inviting but also says, SUCCESS!

You can keep Willoughpee... I'm starting my own town of Roley Valley! A nice sunny but cool climate, perfect for growing oranges and living a nice quiet type of simple life... a nice clean quaint down town with things to do and places to shop... people will go to Willoughpee but, will come home to Roley Valley! lol

This is all too funny when you think of it!

=WR=

Willoughby has class and a nostalgic tone to it. What do you want to call it Compton? :p
Roley Valley? Sounds like one of those houses of ill-repute on the outskirts of Vegas. :eusa_doh: :p Why not just call it Moonlight Valley and get it over with? :p
Cool climate for oranges?! Geez, please don't open an orchard in my town. You will go broke and then I would have to foreclose on you. lol Oranges are grown in Florida for a reason dude. :p
Things to do in Moonlight Valley? Yeah I bet. ;)
If you open that town near Willoughby, we are going to have to make Willoughby a gated community. :eusa_doh:
Yep, it is pretty funny when you consider we have town wars with towns that do not exist. :p

Regards,

J

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Oops,I Forgot about sunday brunch at Ruby's.A must for the family right after we get out of services,because sunday brunch is what Ruby is known for best.
There will be hot dark coffee with real cream and sugar cubes. Hot chocolate for the kids.Apple or o.j. and milk of course.
Eggs anyway you want them and omelettes.Thick crispy bacon and slightly spicy sausage patties.Country ham.Hashbrowns or grits,if you're from the north don't ask for just one grit.Toast,biscuits and sausage gravy,or jelly.Pancakes the size of an iron skillet served with real butter and maple syrup.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ummmm... JP, as if you didn't know, they grow oranges here too... and they rival the ones Florida grows! Ever hear of a smudge pot? I guess not.
When I say a cool climate, I mean about 75 in the day and about 45 at night! Perfect for what I have in mind and it doesn't include snow.

Whilloughby... you're sold on that name... say, are you getting some kind of kick-back from some guy named Whilloguhby? lol

Moonlight Valley... it kind of sounds nice to me, I don't think it sounds like an adult entertainment town... but, if that's what you think about most of the time then, I guess it does.lol Jab, Jab!:D
I vote for Stardust Falls!;)

=WR=

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Root-I like the sound of that little italian place and other swingin' sounds on the juke is allright by me.
My grandmother just moved in with my mother here in texas,she's been in Kentucky this whole time.She brought her mother's recipes with her and is giving me cooking lessons on mondays using all the old recipes.
This past monday was my first lesson and we made homemade vegetable soup with cornbread muffins.So much fun and such an incredible bonding experience.Sorry to get :eek:fftopic:

Now,back to our little town...

Wild Root

Gone Home
It's all about the old recipe's! Bring them on I say! I find that if you use real ingredients, it's better then what most buy at the store today! Made from scratch is the way to go! Man, I still need to go eat some lunch! Hahaha
=WR=

Wild Root said:
Ummmm... JP, as if you didn't know, they grow oranges here too... and they rival the ones Florida grows! Ever hear of a smudge pot? I guess not.
When I say a cool climate, I mean about 75 in the day and about 45 at night! Perfect for what I have in mind and it doesn't include snow.

Whilloughby... you're sold on that name... say, are you getting some kind of kick-back from some guy named Whilloguhby? lol

Moonlight Valley... it kind of sounds nice to me, I don't think it sounds like an adult entertainment town... but, if that's what you think about most of the time then, I guess it does.lol Jab, Jab!:D
I vote for Stardust Falls!;)

=WR=

Yeah they grow there but when the temperatures get too far down, the crop costs you more money to bring in because of those smudge pots. :eusa_doh: :p $5 at night is a little low for oranges. They are just going to have to grow here in Willoughby. You can grow broccoli there. :p
Yeah Rod Serling is giving me royalties on the name. :p
Stardust Falls!? That is even worse!:eek: You've gone from the outskirts of Vegas onto the strip.
The wall goes up tomorrow. Willoughby, the gated community. :D

Regards,

J

rubyredlocks said:
Like others,I'd like our own name.Something that expresses the sentiment of our town and it's fondness for nostalgia.Hmmm...would nostalgia be too gimmicky?

Nostalgia Falls,perhaps.

I'd like to have a casual neighborhood diner with a southern slant using my great grandmothers recipes.
Ruby's would serve things like beans and cornbread,fried green tomatoes,pork chops with homemade applesauce,and sweet potato pie.Iced tea and lemonade in jelly jars.Coca-cola only in bottles.All the food would be served on jadite and the utensils would have bakelite handles.
On friday and saturday evenings some of the tables would be moved out of the way to make room for jitterbugs dancing to the local western swing band.The adults could enjoy a nightcap of Kentucky bourbon,or spiked lemonade,but nothing too rowdy as this is a family establishment.My husband would serve the alcohol.He'd also slip any gentleman who prefered Jack and Coke a nip,while his proud Kentucky born wife pretends not to notice.

Now,I noticed some of you have expressed a distaste for southern fare,so I think we also need a neighborhood italian eatery.I'm sure that I'd tire of my own cooking and would be found breaking bread here with the hubby on our date night.
So,who can give us some good italian cuisine?

Could we have a Sunday Champagne Brunch---all you can eat? Maybe $11 per person. :D

Regards,

J

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Did you see the sunday brunch post?I did forget the champagne for mimosas,thanks for reminding me JP.Should we have Bloody Marys too?

rubyredlocks said:
Did you see the sunday brunch post?I did forget the champagne for mimosas,thanks for reminding me JP.Should we have Bloody Marys too?

I thought I saw it but when I went back I lost the post. I was reminded of the champagne brunch because we have a place here that does the champagne brunch on Sundays.
Bloody Marys sound good too. I remember a friend of mine that used to talk of gin fizz breakfasts. [huh]

Regards,

J

Wild Root

Gone Home
I believe we're going to be self sufficient in our little town... making, growing and raising our own goods... so, why not have 1930's prices? Of course if we're going to have Coca Cola, they'll have to agree to sell us the glass bottled goods for less then .5c a pop! lol... and I say we talk to Mexico for the goods... mmmmmmm, Cane Sugar Coke!

Well, I'm going to be running "The Dive" which will be a peppy Streamlined place for the high schooler's to hang out after school.... Juke box spinnin' hot Jazz and standards with a full service Soda Fountain and lunch counter! And in my establishment, if some one can't pay, they'll wash dishes! lol Also, an "Eat to keep your seat" rule!

=WR=

Wild Root said:
I believe we're going to be self sufficient in our little town... making, growing and raising our own goods... so, why not have 1930's prices? Of course if we're going to have Coca Cola, they'll have to agree to sell us the glass bottled goods for less then .5c a pop! lol... and I say we talk to Mexico for the goods... mmmmmmm, Cane Sugar Coke!

Well, I'm going to be running "The Dive" which will be a peppy Streamlined place for the high schooler's to hang out after school.... Juke box spinnin' hot Jazz and standards with a full service Soda Fountain and lunch counter! And in my establishment, if some one can't pay, they'll wash dishes! lol Also, an "Eat to keep your seat" rule!

=WR=

That sounds fair. How about "No shirt, no shoes, no hat---no service." :D

Regards,

J

Wild Root

Gone Home
That would be an unspoken rule! If I had a stoned out surfer dude stroll in, he'll just look around and then all the kids at the tables will get up and hall his caucus out the door!... and then dust their hands as they come back in and sit back at the tables in a "That's that" manor! lol

The interior of "The Dive" will be light jade green with ivory accents! We're talking total 1938-39 streamline with dark green marble counters with chrome soda fountain faucets with the jade green ball knobs! Also, a nice original Red Coca Cola dispenser on the counter like you see in the old ads. The floor will be dark green and light green linoleum, the stools will be cast aluminum with dark red seats... the booths will be low and streamlined... a very smooth flowing style will prevail in the overall design. There will be nice high ceilings with slow turning period styled fans... and nice stepped deco hanging milk glass light fixtures. Also, some nice classic ads for products on the walls near the front of the store and also outside. The outside will be white, curved corners, glass brick windows in parts, nice tall door painted black with cast aluminum streamlined handles that come from one side that bend and go to the bottom of the door... I've been thinking about this for a long time! I'll even have a nice neon sign with a clock on it! In the windows, we'll have the old styled blinds with the big thick tapes! Oh, and a phone booth in the back with a phone book missing pages and most of everyone's numbers on the inside of the booth! lol

=WR=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24