Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Our own vintage town

priestyboy said:
I'd run the local airstrip and have a flying school with Stearmans and Cubs.

We could have summer fly-ins with BBQ, homemade ice cream and evening fireworks.

Only under certain circumstances would I let friends have a little 100 octane fuel for their vintage cars!

For a great artist's rendition of a great vintage place to live, go to:

http://www.bnr-art.com/phillips/index-phillipsbay.htm

We could use that to round out the town that is for sure. The renditions are great---except the snow ones. :p

Regards,

J

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Large format printer only works if we're going to be 21st Century Retro Movie Set Town. Now if you were a sign painter, OTOH...

For veterinarian I nominate Regis Toomey.
290.jpg

Paratrooper

Familiar Face
Good I'll step up and be one of the sponsors of the town baseball team or football (if we move this to England) ;) any other business want to help set up our team?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Ideal town

Well, I would like to invite everyone to two extremely different, but wonderful in their own way, places. The first is the place where I grew up, Chautauqua, NY. It's a ghost town in the winter, but in the summer it becomes a truly wonderful idealized society. It's the great grand daddy of summer cultural festivals, but it's much more. It's really impossible to describe or explain. This is their website: www.ciweb.org . It's a world unto itself for nine weeks during the summer.
The other place that to me is the true vintage town of all time, is the great, grand and glorious boro of Brooklyn, where I've lived for 17 years now. (Tho I was born at the Brooklyn Navy Yard Hospital, back during the Truman administration. Talk about a vintage president!). When I figure out how to do it, I'll upload some pix of funky old 5th Ave., down at my corner. It's hardly changed in 80 years. Brooklyn is undergoing a huge boom and renaissance at the moment, which is of course good and bad. But It's way too big to have it's identity profoundly affected by these kinds of upheavals. If you get to New York, come across the magnificent wonder of the world, the Brooklyn Bridge (you can walk across it, it's fabulous), and see Brooklyn!
Let me know, I'll show you around!

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
Well, I would like to invite everyone to two extremely different, but wonderful in their own way, places. The first is the place where I grew up, Chautauqua, NY. It's a ghost town in the winter, but in the summer it becomes a truly wonderful idealized society.

I live down the highway from Chautauqua and can attest to how amazing it is in the summer. A perfect place for contemplation, reading, discussing, philosophising, listening to music or just having a picnic. A wonderful place to visit and - if you have big bucks - live for the summer.

Well, you could always try Mackinaw Island in Michigan, where they filmed Somewhere in Time--yes, the place is really like that!

Oh, BTW, I'll take CG of the local Army base, moonlighting on weekends as the town gunsmith and Class 3 firearms dealer. Another "abandoned-looking house on the hill" here, and a 747-size airstrip.

But one 21st-century thing that has to come along: WiFi. I feel like I've been lobotomized when I can't get Internet connection... on top of the "virtual lobotomy" I've been dealt by AS.

Assuming that this is an "anything, anytime" open-carry town so nobody'd pitch a fit about me using a full-auto Chicago-piano or two as my self-defense pistol... :eek:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Well, I just spent the whole afternoon (off and on) perusing the entire 6 month conversation that comprises this thread. It's amazing how the issue of snow has become the make or break, life and death issue. I favor LizzieMaine's formula: snow from a few days before Christmas thru the middle of January. That's when you start not appreciating its charm and start getting sick of it. For those sissies who can't deal with temps below 67, we can have a "winter colony" in the sun belt.
Now, I would like to discuss the issue of which state out little burg should be in. A friend of mine and I many years ago decided to create the Mythical State of Alleghany. It covers the 3 southwestern counties of New York, the western 2/3 of Penna, and West Virginia. It would be the poorest state in the union, but it would have lots of vintage character.
If it's actually near a water fall, we could call it Whatsis Falls. If it's not, then that would be silly. But it should be on a body of water large enough to land Grumman Widgen (the ideal vintage seaplane).
We'll also have to decide on the vintage era stuff we really don't want to include (segregation, polio, Hitler, etc.) and the modern stuff we really don't want to live without (fill in the blank . . .)
OK, next question: will we live in the same year that just keeps happening over and over again? Or will we just start out 60 or 70 years back and go from there? (You see where this leads?) If so, I nominate 1937 or 38, tho there's a lot to be said for the 20's also.
I've had a fantasy for a long time of creating a vintage lifestyle theme park, maybe back in my home area of western New York. This idea is so much fun, and so gripping to the imagination, that obviously some people have asked if there was any seriuousness to it. Well. anyone got about $100 million to get us started? Or ideas to get started on a whole lot less? I'm going to be awake tonight thinking about this!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy