Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Our own vintage town

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jamespowers said:
I think we could have a Hawaiian Christmas with people dressed in linen and Palm Beach. Straw hats abound with BBQs at the town's square. Now that would be a cool Christmas. :D
We can have a nice indoor ice rink for those who want cold and a place to wear cold weather clothes. ;)

Regards,

J

James ya big sissy! The lady only asked for a week, how can you turn down such a request? :mad:

Oh, and I'm NOT going to be forced to go stand in an ice rink to wear my overcoat. Man up and take the cold, Sunny Jim. :D

carebear said:
James ya big sissy! The lady only asked for a week, how can you turn down such a request? :mad:

Oh, and I'm NOT going to be forced to go stand in an ice rink to wear my overcoat. Man up and take the cold, Sunny Jim. :D

Yep, I hate snow. I am suing if I get Hypothermia as well. :D ;)
Get used to the ice rink----I hear it calling your name-----caaaaarrrreeeebeeeaaarrr. :p

Regards,

J

clevispin

One of the Regulars
Huh? How's that spelled?

Whatever the towns's name - its gotta be pronounced in an unconventional way. Ohio has many good examples ie Lima, Toledo etc. The town fathers were hicks.

m

johnnydnh

Familiar Face
I just watched the other Twilight Zone episode very similar to "A Stop at Willoughby". This one was called "Walking Distance" and starred Gig Young as a successful businessman that decides to walk to his old home town while his car is being serviced. It turns out to be exactly the same as he remembered it including the 10 cent triple scoop ice cream sodas at the fountain and the brand new 1934 Ford Roadster (even though he knows it is 1959). It also starred a very young (maybe 4 or 5 year old) Ron Howard.

Anyway, the name of the town was "Homewood"

cneil

Familiar Face
What eles is Vintageville lacking?

Mike in Seattle said:
Office supply with an array of fountain pens & inks, accounting ledgers, typewriter ribbons, adding machine tape, stationery - both business & personal, probably a small printing press in the back. Oh yeah - gotta stock Moleskines! ;) Since drug store with lunch counter & soda fountain was mentioned, I'll add a diner to the list. Music store (sheet music, instruments) which would also probably sell records and radios. Haberdasher for the higher quality shirts & ties you couldn't find at the department store. Town square with a bandstand. Car dealer. Streetcar.

What else is "Vintageville" lacking?

An Old fashion Camera Store and a Photography.
Stock the latest from Agfa/Ansco, Kodak, GAF, Dupont, Rollie, Argus, Graflex, Contarex, Voghtlander, Lica and Exacta.

Film in stock and processing for 8x10, 5x7, 4x5, 2.5 x3.5, 116, 626, 120 and 35mm film.

And I just happen to know a photographer with many years experance managing a Camera Store. Me.

cneil

Familiar Face
What the Town Looks like

jamespowers said:
The "or This" sounds perfect. Panama hats and Palm Beach suits all around. :eusa_clap

Regards,

J

That looks Good, a little larger than I imagend.

Either it is the Main street of Our town with the Bank right there across the street,

Or

It is Cuba!

carebear

We may need to put the snow question to a vote.

I would like to begin my campaign by taking the high road and pointing out that Mr. James Powers is a well-known public ball cap wearer who owns many colors and designs of flip-flops. He is also a long time subscriber to the "International Male" catalog. :D

VOTE SNOW!

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
I definitely vote for snow, even if it's just for a short period in winter. Palm trees do not seem very Christmasy. Maybe those who don't like snow can take their Florida vacations during our winter.

The Homewood Twilight Zone sounds just like our town, that name isn't bad.

At our first picnic I'm voting for LizzieMaine as queen.

carebear said:
We may need to put the snow question to a vote.

I would like to begin my campaign by taking the high road and pointing out that Mr. James Powers is a well-known public ball cap wearer who owns many colors and designs of flip-flops. He is also a long time subscriber to the "International Male" catalog. :D

VOTE SNOW!

And my response to that is---if you believe that you are:
www.nonstick.com/sounds/Music/ltmu_005.wav :p
I don't even know what International Male much less that whatever it is had a catalog. Can we finally vote to ban flip flops in our vintage town along with voting on snow?
Vote NO on SNOW. It really Blows. :D

Regards,

J

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Must have snow so we can dramatically enter our friend's homes for cocktail hour after shaking the snow off our fedoras and topcoats, stomping our feet on the porch. It makes the warming time by the fireplace extra welcoming.
What's the alternative? Pulling off your sunglasses and tucking them into a pocket before being handed a towel for sweat?

I Vote Snow.

Lee Lynch

One of the Regulars
I'd be a portrait artist who sets up on the sidewalk, and tries to avoid the town drunk who always follows me around wanting to shoot the breeze (and running off my business). On rainy or snowy days I'd set up in one of a few different businesses that let me (the general store perhaps).

scotrace said:
What's the alternative? Pulling off your sunglasses and tucking them into a pocket before being handed a towel for sweat?

I Vote Snow.

The alternative is being greeted with a Mint Julep or a Mojito and offered a chair on the porch that you can sit in comfortably with a slight breeze making it all the more comfortable.
No stumbling and bumbling in snow. Falling down and breaking a leg after you slip on iced pavement. No Hypothermia, No cars sliding all over the road because they cannot get traction, No unintentional car crashes or damaged property because of it. No having to get up extra early to get out the snow blower or worse yet shovel snow off the paths, sidewalk, driveway and even unbury your car. :eek: No ruined lawns and gardens covered in snow and best of all, local government can save money without having to employ snow plows, people to drive them and chemicals that could cause cancer being used on the roads.
Vote NO on Snow! Its hazzardous to your health and well being. :D

Regards,

J

Viola

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
No ruined lawns and gardens covered in snow

Gardens covered in snow are PRETTY. Snow on the evergreens and lacing the branches beats mushy brown-ness every time. Hollies > Palm trees. Besides I don't believe you can grow apple trees and lilacs in places where it is never cold, and lilacs 'round the door in spring are just not optional.

Besides lovely overcoats, there's cardinals and chickadees jumping around red in the snow at the birdfeeder, and the smell of woodsmoke and puffing Franklin stoves and fireplaces. None of these rassafrassin' new-timey "decorative gas fireplaces!"

Also, you can't knit and bake cookies when its 70 degrees out in Janurary. Just isn't natural.

You may return to your regularly scheduled sunshine after ONE WEEK of wintery goodness. After 7 days of walking the dog in a foot of snow I should be ready for your Key West theme.lol

carebear

Sleigh rides with your sweetie, all bundled up, sipping cocoa from a thermos, hearing the bells jingle, knowing there's a crackling fire back home to curl up in a blanket and canoodle by.

The smell of woodsmoke and pine in the air, the crunch of fresh snow under foot as you hike out to cut down the Christmas tree.

Snowball fights with your friends, making snow angels. Sipping hot toddys in the ice fishing shack.....

Besides, you've never seen a striptease til you've seen one that starts out with 7 layers. :D

Wild Root

Gone Home
happyfilmluvguy said:
No palm trees! You don't want it to look like a Hollywood movie set.

HUH?!!??!!? Man, we need Palm Trees!!! Nice, tall slender ones! I mean, what are ya going to put in front of the IN-N-OUT? An Oak tree? AHAHAHAHAHA! Yes, we'll have an IN-N-OUT... they've been around since 1948 and they're too good to live without!;)

Oh, this is another thing that just makes me laugh... do we have control over the weather? Does any one have the power to grant snow to anyone? What are you guys, a pack of witch doctors? lol lol lol

Crazy people!

=WR=

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Wild Root said:
Oh, this is another thing that just makes me laugh... do we have control over the weather?
=WR=

You mean you DON'T?! This is the modern streamlined and shiny Art Deco era! Cars will fly! Robots will save women from housework! And the gosh-darn snow will be scheduled!:p lol

Viola said:
Gardens covered in snow are PRETTY. Snow on the evergreens and lacing the branches beats mushy brown-ness every time. Hollies > Palm trees. Besides I don't believe you can grow apple trees and lilacs in places where it is never cold, and lilacs 'round the door in spring are just not optional.

Besides lovely overcoats, there's cardinals and chickadees jumping around red in the snow at the birdfeeder, and the smell of woodsmoke and puffing Franklin stoves and fireplaces. None of these rassafrassin' new-timey "decorative gas fireplaces!"

Also, you can't knit and bake cookies when its 70 degrees out in Janurary. Just isn't natural.

You may return to your regularly scheduled sunshine after ONE WEEK of wintery goodness. After 7 days of walking the dog in a foot of snow I should be ready for your Key West theme.lol

Your kidding right? Do I have to go out to the backyard and take a picture of my apple trees and lilacs? It never snows here. I must be a miracle worker. lol
There are times when we use the fireplace though and yes my wife bakes cookies and knits when it is 70 degrees outside. The problem is that this year stinks. It has been inclimate for our summer. It didn't get warm enough, long enough. It is cold right now! Darned cold weather. :rage: Above it all, it could be worse----it could snow. :eek:
I have to go on vacation?! Why can't we send snowbirds on vacation to snowy areas for a week while we stay nice and waaaaarrrrrrmmmmm all year long? :p
Vote No on Snow! It decreases life expectancy and makes things brown. :D

Regards,

J

Wild Root said:
HUH?!!??!!? Man, we need Palm Trees!!! Nice, tall slender ones! I mean, what are ya going to put in front of the IN-N-OUT? An Oak tree? AHAHAHAHAHA! Yes, we'll have an IN-N-OUT... they've been around since 1948 and they're too good to live without!;)

Oh, this is another thing that just makes me laugh... do we have control over the weather? Does any one have the power to grant snow to anyone? What are you guys, a pack of witch doctors? lol lol lol

Crazy people!

=WR=

I am in for Palm Trees too. :eusa_clap Palm Trees, Palm Beach suits they make life worth living. :D
I control the weather. It never snows here. :p

Regards,

J

carebear

jamespowers said:
Vote No on Snow! It decreases life expectancy and makes things brown. :D

Regards,

J

We cold-blooded types live longer, we don't burn out so quick. And snow makes things green.

Take away the snow in the mountains and the California coastal strip would be a desert.

Maybe that's the secret. Bay Area climate (there are things resembling seasons there AND wine country) with a nearby mountain retreat, a la Tahoe or the Catskills.

How bout it Powers, the "Northern California" ticket sound good?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo