Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Our own vintage town

johnnydnh

Familiar Face
I myself, wouldn't care what the weather was like, providing the town was everything else that I hoped it would be.

Having lived on both coasts for a substantial period of time, (the first 30 years in the Bay Area, the last 14 in New England) I can say that (for me, at least) the weather factor is way over-rated (unless you are planning on living outside in a tent). In general, I find that Californians seem to have the least adaptability when it comes to weather. If I had a nickel for every time that I had to explain to a golden-stater that I do not have to shovel snow 24/7 from October to May..... Do they teach that in the schools out there? I don't think so because I went to school there myself, but maybe I wasn't paying attention that day? The truth is, even here in the northeast, snow needs to be actually shovelled only a handful of times per winter--which really doesn't start until early to mid-December anyway.

Nor would the name of the town matter that much either.

johnnydnh

Familiar Face
Cell phones

Set to vibrate and hidden at all times. First violation: public ducking. Second violation: permanent banishment to Bogeyland!

An example:
MARCH_OF_WOODEN_SOLDIERS_81056-0.jpg

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
jamespowers said:
Wimps eh? :rolleyes: Looks like someone is going to be shoveling snow themselves since they like it so much. Which brings up Sacramento!? That is one of the hottest places in California. For someone who talks the talk there sure isn't any walk behind it. :p I suggest North Dakota for a nice snowy climate. :eusa_doh:
We can have two towns easily. There will be Willoughby with nice weather all the time and then there will be Potterville where it snows all year and is dreary day in and day out. :eek:
Vote No on Snow. You just know sun is better.

Regards to all,

J

No, since those of us who want a little bit of snow liked Willoughby first, we get the name. What does my living in Sac have to do with anything except prove that although I live in CA I am willing to adapt to snow. And if you read the thread no one said it will snow a lot, just at Christmas. You guys that want year round sun can have one of WR's names, like Park Passing or Golden Falls, but we get Willoughby.

Shimmy Sally

Maybe it can just snow in certain parts of town. I like the two towns idea. I want an occasional summer night thunderstorm followed by a morning fog. Hey, I like my weather and seasonal changes.

Just think of all the street & business names we can come up with.

Do we have a garbage collector yet?

DancingSweetie said:
No, since those of us who want a little bit of snow liked Willoughby first, we get the name. What does my living in Sac have to do with anything except prove that although I live in CA I am willing to adapt to snow. And if you read the thread no one said it will snow a lot, just at Christmas. You guys that want year round sun can have one of WR's names, like Park Passing or Golden Falls, but we get Willoughby.

Acually I brought up Willoughby a month ago in a different thread. So really it is me who brought the name here in the first place if you want to be technical. :p So you get Pottersville---the snow capital of the world where everyday it snows not a lot. :D

Regards,

J

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
jamespowers said:
Acually I brought up Willoughby a month ago in a different thread. So really it is me who brought the name here in the first place if you want to be technical. :p So you get Pottersville---the snow capital of the world where everyday it snows not a lot. :D

Regards,

J
Tony came up with it in this thread and he agrees to snow, as long as Lizzie makes pies for the snow shovelers.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Two towns does mean lots of vintage travel by Golden Age means, and maybe a classic hotel, so that's a bonus.

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
Shimmy Sally said:
Maybe it can just snow in certain parts of town. I like the two towns idea. I want an occasional summer night thunderstorm followed by a morning fog. Hey, I like my weather and seasonal changes.

Just think of all the street & business names we can come up with.

Do we have a garbage collector yet?

I don't think anyone has taken that position yet. Do you have a job you would like to claim?

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Viola said:
Two towns does mean lots of vintage travel by Golden Age means, and maybe a classic hotel, so that's a bonus.

A train ride, with trunks. And not a "classic hotel".... a "Holiday Inn". :D

Viola

Call Me a Cab
As long as its not a "Bates Motel" I'm quite open on the specifics. If so, I'm getting an original Airstream posthaste! :eek:

Wild Root

Gone Home
I say a town that has weather is good because mother nature is the one who could controll it and we have very little to do with it. I say snow in the winter is ok as long as the roads are kept clean... at the gas station we'd need a special car wash that cleans the underside of the cars and treats it with a protective coating from salt and water... keep it from rusting out our cars!

And for those who are "Bah Humbug" about weather... well, take it up with Ol' Ma Nature! lol

=WR=

Daisy Buchanan

We can't forget an ice cream shoppe, or a soda fountain shoppe. I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned one yet. I know I said that I would be more than happy to run the candy store/bakery, but it would be great to have an ice cream shoppe inside the candy store. A real old fashioned one with old style freezer and soda fountains. We'd only have 2 or 3 flavors of ice cream. None of that fancy modern stuff. And a few assorted toppings. Of course the candy portion would have penny candy that could be blended into the ice cream. But our specialty would be banana splits and cherry lime rickey's. We'd have a bar with tall stools and those old metal tables with matching metal seats with red leather cushions. I have such a great picture of this place in my head. I hope you will all take your kids there on hot summer days/nights after school or little league games.

Daisy Buchanan

Wild Root said:
I say a town that has weather is good because mother nature is the one who could controll it and we have very little to do with it. I say snow in the winter is ok as long as the roads are kept clean... at the gas station we'd need a special car wash that cleans the underside of the cars and treats it with a protective coating from salt and water... keep it from rusting out our cars!

And for those who are "Bah Humbug" about weather... well, take it up with Ol' Ma Nature! lol

=WR=
I love having a change of seasons. It makes me appreciate the warmer weather so much more.
As for snow, I do love it. I just hate the aftermath of it. The slush and mud! I hope, in our town, that if it snows it will be the beautiful white fluffy stuff. It will pile up everywhere, but the streets, parking lots, gas stations would all be clear. On a sad note, this does mean the kids in school would never have a snow day, for all the buses would still be able to run. Poor kids, lucky parents lol

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
Daisy Buchanan said:
We can't forget an ice cream shoppe, or a soda fountain shoppe. I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned one yet. I know I said that I would be more than happy to run the candy store/bakery, but it would be great to have an ice cream shoppe inside the candy store. A real old fashioned one with old style freezer and soda fountains. We'd only have 2 or 3 flavors of ice cream. None of that fancy modern stuff. And a few assorted toppings. Of course the candy portion would have penny candy that could be blended into the ice cream. But our specialty would be banana splits and cherry lime rickey's. We'd have a bar with tall stools and those old metal tables with matching metal seats with red leather cushions. I have such a great picture of this place in my head. I hope you will all take your kids there on hot summer days/nights after school or little league games.
I thought someone mentioned a soda fountain inside the pharmacy, but you can never have too much ice cream! We would definitely frequent the ice cream shops, and I know I would be at the candy store all the time too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn