Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Our own vintage town

Shimmy Sally

Wild Root said:
At the Service Station, I'd greet people and wash their windshields and check their air and oil... and also battery water levels... have a grade A mechanic who can overhaul a Sherman Tank in two shakes and make sure every one's cars are well taken care of! I think my station would be a Texaco or Gilmore Maybe flying -=A=-... any way, it would be a simple, dimly lit office with awning, two pumps, a two car garage with a lift... on the way into town.
Would you put free air in the tires? I just hate seeing Grandmas at self-serve try to fill their own tires. I'm always afraid they'll be insulted when I send my son over to ask to do it for them, but so far they are delighted. No one retired should have to bend down and get their hands dirty like that, unless they want to.
There are still some Sinclair and family-owned full-service stations in the MidWest. Oh how I miss that. Our vintage town needs polite grease monkies in zip-front coverall uniforms to look over our cars.
Who owns the dance hall and night club? We need musicians.
Oh, and the burlesque/vaudeville cabaret can go in the sunny town with no weather. We don't want that sort of thing in our neighborhood. Think of the children.

metropd

One Too Many
I be the town police patrolman. Are mandatory town police field uniform is down below, what da ya thank? Pershing service cap, shirt tie and dress jacket-Tunic with Sam Browne shoulder strap and belt on shirt and and jacket.Should we go for some knee high patrol boots for that extra golden era touch?

25602432220.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
Shimmy Sally said:
Oh, and the burlesque/vaudeville cabaret can go in the sunny town with no weather. We don't want that sort of thing in our neighborhood. Think of the children.

What about the Children in the sunny town? Nah, I'd say we could have a Vaudeville theater but, sorry, no strip-tease acts period thank you!

=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
metropd said:
I be the town police patrolman. Are mandatory town police field uniform is down below, what da ya thank? Pershing service cap, shirt tie and dress jacket-Tunic with Sam Browne shoulder strap and belt on shirt and and jacket.Should we go for some knee high patrol boots for that extra golden era touch?

25602432220.jpg

Your photo isn't working for me... can't see it!

I'd like to see something like this my self... nothing like an officer in dark blue... he'd wear Wilson Goggles too... the dark green tinted kind!

Brooker.jpg

HP%20Motorcycle.jpg

=WR=

Shimmy Sally

Wild Root said:
What about the Children in the sunny town? Nah, I'd say we could have a Vaudeville theater but, sorry, no strip-tease acts period thank you!=WR=
We aren't going to have that seedy town on the other side of the tracks where a guy just can't get a break? I hear that’s where the Sailor Jerry tattoo parlor and the cigar lounge are located. They are even rumored to have a pool hall (gasp) with craps shoots and poker and BETTING (double gasp). I'm talking about pool, that starts with P, that rhymes with T, and that stands for trouble!

Anyway, we need a drive-in theatre with snack bar and a playground for our decent town.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
No seedy part of town? How will I find the local ridgerunner, um, "grain processor"?

Blackjack Fletcher and Mississippi Sam:
"Now there ain't no doubt they were both outlaws
Turning yella corn into alchohol
But they never hurt no one
Who didn't need a-hurtin'"

If its too clean you take all the fun out.:eek: :D

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, we don't want married men to be distracted or tempted away from their families now do we?

A bar is standard, a place to shoot pool is fine... poker games can be played in the house or garage. Guys will gamble no matter what... but, we ain’t going to have a place to do it at, see!

We'll need a Penny Arcade where we can watch soundies on Pan-O-Rama machines and play pinball. Also, a indoor swimming pool complex like you saw in the 30's! Heated pools with fancy tile work! Art Deco tile work!!!

=WR=

Shimmy Sally

I'm sure there will be corn squeezins 'n ditch weed around, but I don't want it in my back yard.
What about the wives being tempted away from their husbands by all those delivery men? That reminds me, we need a cabana boy.

Story

I'll Lock Up
So where's the ivy-covered 'haunted' house that's had a FOR SALE sign out from since Moses was in diapers? The one with the rusted iron fence, that needs a coat of paint and has 83 various balls in the deep, overgrown front yard grass? The one where the wind whispers through unsecured shutters and moans in a stronger breeze?

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Story said:
So where's the ivy-covered 'haunted' house that's had a FOR SALE sign out from since Moses was in diapers? The one with the rusted iron fence, that needs a coat of paint and has 83 various balls in the deep, overgrown front yard grass? The one where the wind whispers through unsecured shutters and moans in a stronger breeze?

Gotta love the neighborhood haunted house. At least it keeps the kids off your lawn!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Oh, there's gotta be a dodgy part of town, complete with the aforementioned haunted house. Maybe it could be occupied by a pair of eccentric elderly tanglebearded brothers who peer disapprovingly out the windows of "The Old Collyer Place", and growl under their breath at all this consarned newfangled codswallop goin' on 'round town. "Back in my day," they'd cackle, "we didn't need no otty-mo-biles nor no moom-pitchers nor no talkin' machine raddio box!! Whole durnburned world's goin' straight to perdition! Bah!!!"

As far as the grain-processing operation on the outskirts of town, I think we also need to have a flinty-eyed old taxicab driver who makes mysterious trips out into the woods at night to load up his trunk with The Recipe and run it into town. After all, the speakeasy will need a supplier...

(In our own real world, by the way, that taxicab driver was one of my uncles.)

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Interestingly enough, I'm slowly managing to catch my 17-year-old brother's interest in vintage, (he even wants a hat now!) and he has nobly offered his services as a corn-farmer who CERTAINLY DOESN'T have a still out back, Mr. Revenuer.

Heck, I was just happy he doesn't wear baggy pants. :D

Wild Root

Gone Home
LizzieMaine said:
Oh, there's gotta be a dodgy part of town, complete with the aforementioned haunted house. Maybe it could be occupied by a pair of eccentric elderly tanglebearded brothers who peer disapprovingly out the windows of "The Old Collyer Place", and growl under their breath at all this consarned newfangled codswallop goin' on 'round town. "Back in my day," they'd cackle, "we didn't need no otty-mo-biles nor no moom-pitchers nor no talkin' machine raddio box!! Whole durnburned world's goin' straight to perdition! Bah!!!"

As far as the grain-processing operation on the outskirts of town, I think we also need to have a flinty-eyed old taxicab driver who makes mysterious trips out into the woods at night to load up his trunk with The Recipe and run it into town. After all, the speakeasy will need a supplier...

(In our own real world, by the way, that taxicab driver was one of my uncles.)

lol lol lol I couldn't agree more!

To get a real haunted house, we should just pack up and move into an abandoned town... restore the structures and leave one alone for that haunted number down on the corner that the kids will walk on the other side of the street for! lol

Yeah, we'd need a taxi driver... maybe a police officer that hangs out with him... kind of like Bert and Ernie from "It's A Wonderful Life"... that would be cool!

=WR=

Shimmy Sally

Story said:
With a rickety porch swing and knotty old Boo Radley tree in front!

Story

I'll Lock Up
Shimmy Sally said:
With a rickety porch swing and knotty old Boo Radley tree in front!

Bingo.

Actually, there's a prime candidate for House, Haunted, People-Eating right in my neighborhood. It's a three story sprawling Tudor (with a detached stable/garage) from the 1930s that used to be a Funeral Home, set along a 250 year old road. Even has a porch so you can pull up the hearse under proper cover.

It went out of business a few years back, then a for sale sign appeared. The tel. # had no answering machine and no one ever picked up (a buddy of mine wanted to buy it). Wasn't handled by one of the local real estate agents, but one day the sign came down. It looked - and still looks unoccupied and yet I've seen an Uncle Fester type out in front a few times.

On the plus side, it's right next to a pizza joint.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy