Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Our own vintage town

ledsled

One of the Regulars
Bar Harbor, Maine soda fountain

If you ever go to Bar Harbor, there is a Rexall Drug store with a soda fountain. The displays in the store are wood. I had a ham salad sandwich sitting on the round stool at the counter. Oh, what a time warp that was! I thought Beaver and Wally were going to ride up on their bikes and order a cherry Coke.

ledsled

One of the Regulars
Peyton Place

While my mind is up in Maine, one of the most retro movies that I like to watch (maybe even more than Christmas story) is Peyton Place, AKA Camden, Maine. The black & white cinematography, the story line, the lover's bike rides to the lake, etc. One of my mother's best friends lived in Camden, and so we had several extended visits there throughout my childhood. Her friend's husband was a sea captain. I thought it was cool because he smoked a pipe and wore a captain's hat. I have not seen Peyton Place since being interested in hats, so I must view it again.

I have avoided Camden during my adulthood, since it's become such a popular tourist spot. I hope that it still is able to maintain that small town feeling during the off season.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jamespowers said:
Trees are good as long as they produce edible fruit. No need to waste space.

Regards,

J
And with edible fruit trees come new kinds of bugs, fruit bats, and everyone's favorite neighbor - rats. Mice. Raccoons. And back in the "Beverly Hillbillies" vein - possums. Free vittels! Yee-haw!

Someone's going to have to have the farm & orchard a short distance outside town to supply fresh fruits & veggies & eggs & milk & all that stuff. Take the kids out on the weekends to see chickens & pigs & cows & all that good stuff. But I'd suggest a limit on fruit & nut trees in town rather than a mandate all trees are fruit- or nut-bearing, and for God sake, no jacarandas! Pretty purple-flowered trees that drip sap that wrecks paint on cars, and I'd bet it's not good for hats, either. Everyone loves them...until they have to deal with them. Almost any other kind of tree - thumbs up! They clean the air, provide shade & natural air conditioning. And touching on what Lizzie mentioned with snow - shoveling snow & raking leaves gives the kids something to do to keep them out of trouble and supplement their allowance for things like movies & soda fountain visits.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Mike, I already called the farm with the vintage tractor, plants and critters. With the chickens in the front yard.

I'll HAVE to live outside town if there are to be no fruit trees within in it. Citrus land or temperate, I must have my own jelly. And I'll win at the Willoughby/Pottersville Fair, by gum!:D

Besides, good things can happen when you're shootin' at some food, you know.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
ledsled said:
I have avoided Camden during my adulthood, since it's become such a popular tourist spot. I hope that it still is able to maintain that small town feeling during the off season.

I lived and worked in downtown Camden for nine years in the 1980s-90s -- until the apartment house I lived in got torn down to build a chain drugstore. The town was well on its way by then, unfortunately, to becoming a phony pasteurized-process theme park of a tourist town. I knew the jig was up when I looked out my office window early one morning to see a man pushing an electric floor buffer up and down the sidewalk. It's impossible for a town to get more self-important and full of its own cuteness than that.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Viola said:
Mike, I already called the farm with the vintage tractor, plants and critters. With the chickens in the front yard.

I'll HAVE to live outside town if there are to be no fruit trees within in it. Citrus land or temperate, I must have my own jelly. And I'll win at the Willoughby/Pottersville Fair, by gum!:D

Besides, good things can happen when you're shootin' at some food, you know.

Dear G-d Viola. If I can shoot off the back porch in my robe we'll be the first couple at the courthouse..... :D

Viola

Call Me a Cab
carebear said:
Dear G-d Viola. If I can shoot off the back porch in my robe we'll be the first couple at the courthouse..... :D

That's the other reason to move out to the country. For some reason I don't think all the townfolk would appreciate the noise OR the view! :eek: ;)

Viola

Mike in Seattle said:
And with edible fruit trees come new kinds of bugs, fruit bats, and everyone's favorite neighbor - rats. Mice. Raccoons. And back in the "Beverly Hillbillies" vein - possums. Free vittels! Yee-haw!

Someone's going to have to have the farm & orchard a short distance outside town to supply fresh fruits & veggies & eggs & milk & all that stuff. Take the kids out on the weekends to see chickens & pigs & cows & all that good stuff. But I'd suggest a limit on fruit & nut trees in town rather than a mandate all trees are fruit- or nut-bearing, and for God sake, no jacarandas! Pretty purple-flowered trees that drip sap that wrecks paint on cars, and I'd bet it's not good for hats, either. Everyone loves them...until they have to deal with them. Almost any other kind of tree - thumbs up! They clean the air, provide shade & natural air conditioning. And touching on what Lizzie mentioned with snow - shoveling snow & raking leaves gives the kids something to do to keep them out of trouble and supplement their allowance for things like movies & soda fountain visits.

You are kidding right? All the kids and people will get to the fruit before the animals do. What have bats and racoons ever done to you? :p
Beside that, you mentioned free vittels. Nothing wrong with that.
I can see we already have our Ma and Pa Kettle couple developing here as well. :p Its a nice robe!? lol lol lol lol

Regards,

J

Viola

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
I can see we already have our Ma and Pa Kettle couple developing here as well. :p Its a nice robe!? lol lol lol lol

Regards,

J

redneck_house_alarm.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
Daisy Buchanan said:
We can't forget an ice cream shoppe, or a soda fountain shoppe. I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned one yet. I know I said that I would be more than happy to run the candy store/bakery, but it would be great to have an ice cream shoppe inside the candy store. A real old fashioned one with old style freezer and soda fountains. We'd only have 2 or 3 flavors of ice cream. None of that fancy modern stuff. And a few assorted toppings. Of course the candy portion would have penny candy that could be blended into the ice cream. But our specialty would be banana splits and cherry lime rickey's. We'd have a bar with tall stools and those old metal tables with matching metal seats with red leather cushions. I have such a great picture of this place in my head. I hope you will all take your kids there on hot summer days/nights after school or little league games.

Daisy, dear, I mentioned it... if I'm not elected Mayor, I'll be running the Service Station and the Soda Fountain. I've always loved the idea of being a salty soda jerk who takes no guff but, one who's also polite and gives little ones free ice cream now and again I'd also, poses skills of tossing scoops of ice cream into cups over my head, sliding malts and other treats down the marble top counter! (See Buster Keaton in "Collage") And, it would have to be a dark and light green marble top! Yes sir, give me a white uniform with red or green piping and a nice OS cap tilted to a jaunty angle... ah yes, serving up sweets and mixing sodas the old fashioned way would be my favorite past time!

At the Service Station, I'd greet people and wash their windshields and check their air and oil... and also battery water levels... have a grade A mechanic who can overhaul a Sherman Tank in two shakes and make sure every one's cars are well taken care of! I think my station would be a Texaco or Gilmore Maybe flying -=A=-... any way, it would be a simple, dimly lit office with awning, two pumps, a two car garage with a lift... on the way into town.

=WR=

OOOOH, Just wanted to ad this real quick... I'd have an orange orchard and packing house... Live in a nice farm home surrounded by acres of Orange and Lemon trees complete with smudge pots and all! Separated properly so no cross pollination would occur! I'd also pack all the goods in old wood crates with these kinds of labels...

Cfoothills.jpg

Csunnycove.jpg

Csilvermoon.jpg

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Wild Root, those are great labels! I love them.

Well, with you being sunny citrus Willoughby, one-week-of-snow Pottersville must have:

9b_2.JPG

And here's just a pic I like:
ItmImg%5C4PRIDE-OF-THE-F.gif

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ah, those are nice as well! Nothing like the art and composition of old crate labels... makes me just want to jump in and live there!

Yes JP, you could trust me not to put 40 weight on your Sundays and soda water in your radiator! Or Lime Ricky in your gas tank lol

I could see it... living on a large plot of land with scores of orange trees... smelling the sweet blossoms and enjoying fresh orange juice! Also, making orange and lemon extract for syrup flavors for the fountain! I'd get licensing to carry Orange Crush at the Fountain... ahhhhhhh, nothing like it!

Man, I want this so bad it hurts!

=WR=

Wild Root said:
Yes JP, you could trust me not to put 40 weight on your Sundays and soda water in your radiator! Or Lime Ricky in your gas tank lol

Ok, just because it is you and no one else. :D

Wild Root said:
I could see it... living on a large plot of land with scores of orange trees... smelling the sweet blossoms and enjoying fresh orange juice! Also, making orange and lemon extract for syrup flavors for the fountain! I'd get licensing to carry Orange Crush at the Fountain... ahhhhhhh, nothing like it!
Man, I want this so bad it hurts!

Take a Tylenol. That should fix it.:p I don't think you are alone though. :D

Regards,

J

Viola

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
Ok, just because it is you and no one else. :D

Take a Tylenol. That should fix it.:p I don't think you are alone though. :D

Regards,

J

Tylenol? I want something with rum! :beer: