Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Out on DVD Already?

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just saw Legend is out on DVD. Is it me or are these movies hitting disc faster than ever? It really does become a question of "what's the point?" of going to the cinema if they flicks are out 3 months later. And with all the big HD screens people have there is little lost to the theater experience.

rebelgtp

One of the Regulars
Well I think part of the reason is because good quality rips of the movies are hitting the net as soon as the movies are on the screen, so they try and get them to disk faster so they can still make money before people get fed up and just download it. For my I only go see certain movies in the movie theater because one I don't live near one at all and two it just costs to much. I for one am glad things hit disk faster these days I'm tired of having to wait almost a year to get a movie I liked.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
they've definitely cut down on theatre time...compare titanic to--well you can't really compare titanic to anything...sucker was in theatres for like 11 months...but compare any other film from the late 90s to films now and they dont stay in theatres for nearly as long, no matter if they are huge box office hit or not...like american gangster was huge but only spent a few months in theatres...im sure rebel is on track with the dvd sales...

rebelgtp

One of the Regulars
Sam very true about them not spending as much time in the theater anymore also. I just wish we had a good movie theater out here, last time I went to the one in LaGrande I was not impressed.

As for the whole downloads thing, about a week or so after I am Legend was released in the theater there were PERFECT dvd screener rips available on the net for download. I know quite a few people that never saw the movie in the theater cause they just watched it at home.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Theatrical exhibition is a loss leader for most films these days -- the real money is made in home video, so it's natural they want to rush the DVDs out as quick as they can.

The exhibition business has itself to thank for a lot of this -- the whole sterile mutliplex experience has really soured people on moviegoing. A whole generation has grown up never knowing what it's like to see a film properly presented in a proper theatre environment -- and it's very very sad. They have no idea what theyre missing -- something that could never be duplicated by any home video experience.

As far as downloads are concerned, well, I'd be more than happy to collect the $500 reward the MPAA offers for conviction of film pirates.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
rebelgtp said:
Sam very true about them not spending as much time in the theater anymore also. I just wish we had a good movie theater out here, last time I went to the one in LaGrande I was not impressed.

i dont like the Granada because they pick and choose what they want...sucks...im going to call and see if they are going to be playing 'Meet The Browns' but i highly doubt it because there is a very small Tyler Perry fan base up here...

good point lizzie...with ticket prices the way they are people are just waiting to pay $4.50 instead of $10...more like $20+ b/c of concessions...

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
I read not too long ago that the studios are moving towards a simultaneous release at theaters and on dvd. I know they tested it with a few movies already. The idea is that they can just do all the pr and marketing once to save money. Studies show that it doesn't really effect the box office results because there are people that just like to go to the movies and not own them (me), and those who wait to the dvd to come out, and even a smaller percentage that do both.

ShortClara

One Too Many
J. M. Stovall said:
I read not too long ago that the studios are moving towards a simultaneous release at theaters and on dvd. I know they tested it with a few movies already. The idea is that they can just do all the pr and marketing once to save money. Studies show that it doesn't really effect the box office results because there are people that just like to go to the movies and not own them (me), and those who wait to the dvd to come out, and even a smaller percentage that do both.
Yes, it's also to help combat all the movie piracy out there.

Even though we have the 65" HD home theatre experience with surround, etc etc etc (yes, married to a tech geek), I will still always go to the movie for the experience. We have a high end theatre close to us, and there's nothing like seeing it 10 feet high - with popcorn!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Some theaters serve dinner while you watch the film. That's the way to go for me; multi-tasking in the multiplex. ;) There really isn't a compelling reason to go to the theater anymore.

I believe the trend is for home theaters and that movie theaters will eventually become something similar to stage presentations and there will be only a few screens per town, which could be very good for the independent movie house.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
J. M. Stovall said:

Yeah, I heard about that too. Also, why do you think the new Blue Ray (which appears to have no competition any longer) is being pushed so heavily?
Anti Piracy features on the new disk will outshine mainstream Digital Video Disks Im sure!

LD

Josephine

One Too Many
Hemingway Jones said:
Some theaters serve dinner while you watch the film.

I love the Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse here. Nachos, beer, and beefcake! ;) The Husband doesn't like it though, so I don't go as often as I'd like.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Hemingway Jones said:
Some theaters serve dinner while you watch the film. That's the way to go for me; multi-tasking in the multiplex. ;) There really isn't a compelling reason to go to the theater anymore.

That's where the exhibitor has to take the initiative and *create* a reason. What we do where I work is really emphasize the idea of the theatre experience above and beyond the movie we're showing -- trying to create a very classy sort of experience, along with the sort of presentational showmanship that was found in *all* theatres back in the Era. None of this herding people into a big empty hall, showing them some indifferent picture and then herding them back out -- we make sure every patron is welcomed personally, helped to find a seat, and thanked for coming as they leave after the show. We also have a beer and wine bar in the balcony, for those who might like an adult beverage with their show. Basically, we try to offer a very civilized way to see a film, and one well worth eight bucks.

And *that* is what exhibitors need to get back to doing, if they hope to survive.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
LizzieMaine said:
That's where the exhibitor has to take the initiative and *create* a reason. What we do where I work is really emphasize the idea of the theatre experience above and beyond the movie we're showing -- trying to create a very classy sort of experience, along with the sort of presentational showmanship that was found in *all* theatres back in the Era. None of this herding people into a big empty hall, showing them some indifferent picture and then herding them back out -- we make sure every patron is welcomed personally, helped to find a seat, and thanked for coming as they leave after the show. We also have a beer and wine bar in the balcony, for those who might like an adult beverage with their show. Basically, we try to offer a very civilized way to see a film, and one well worth eight bucks.

And *that* is what exhibitors need to get back to doing, if they hope to survive.
Agreed! I think in ten years or less it may be theaters like yours that outlast the conglomerates.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
LizzieMaine said:

Sigh! That sounds great Lizzie--especially for $8! I went to a movie earlier this week and even though it was an "independent" theater the experience and level of service felt like a multiplex. I'm going to have to make a road trip to your movie house one of these days.

Jovan

Suspended
LizzieMaine said:

I wasn't aware that was the way things were done back then, but it sounds wonderful.

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
Let's hope so!!

Hemingway Jones said:
Agreed! I think in ten years or less it may be theaters like yours that outlast the conglomerates.

Oh, as a film lover, I could not agree more. I think the "home HD experience" is great. But I want the big-screen. I want to be around people (now if we could just figure out a way to get adults to not use it for baby-sitting!). I love having kids around at kids flicks (did I say that I go to kids flicks??? :eek: ). I think it is a lovely and endangered way to have a good time- it is wholesome, brings families together and leads into an adult activity that is the same (I know. There are highly notable exceptions). The small but high quality, more comfortable and family oriented theaters are WAY better than most (though I have to admit some of the conglomerates are doing a better job lately- maybe that depends on the locale). But the "cookie cutter" conglomerates are not going to last past HD, imho. If comfy seating and such is the answer then I'll just invite the neighbors over- we have a great set-up (sound is better than all but the best theaters, we can pause and make pop-corn, whatever). I do agree that the *to DVD* timeframe has gotten a bit nuts and is probably doing more harm to the theaters than good. But don't forget the long delays are of no real interest to the producers if they can *cut and run* with the profits for DVD.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We see a lot of hype about the digital/tech revolution in theatres, but the real reality is that it's going to be a long time before it dominates -- simply because of the cost involved. What's going to happen will paralell what happened when talkies came in -- eventually, the studios themselves will have to come up with a way to financially subsidize the conversion to digital delivery, and they'll only do that for houses that meet certain minimal standards. The marginal operations will then be either forced out of business or absorbed into larger chains that will be even more impersonal than before.

The indie theatres that survive will be either the ones that have deep pockets behind them or the ones that figure out how to do more than just show films -- for our part, we've come to put more and more emphasis on live concerts and community-type events as adjuncts to the film programming. Our biggest hit this year has been the Metropolitan Opera HD simulcasts -- every show has sold out, and people are lining up outside on the day of each show in the desperate hope that someone will sell them an extra ticket. In a town of 8000 people, mind you.

There'll always be a place for theatres. But the people that run them will have to learn to think like real theatre people and not like corporate bean-counters.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I hear that a small amount of the movie theatre's ticket price actually goes to the theatre, they make most of the money at concessions. The tricky thing is, after I've paid to get my family into the cinema the last thing I want to do is pay $4 for a popcorn.
I used to go the movies all the time but as prices got higher and release dates on video became shorter I found the only improvements were the seating got better. I could go on but what's the point.
I do feel bad for cinema owners and I am against piracy. i do think some of the blame goes to Hollywood.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80