Out Your Back Door

Discussion in 'Your Vintage Home' started by BobHufford, Jul 17, 2016.

1. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Daddy needs a new fur coat??
    B

Zombie_61 and BobHufford like this.
  2. Woodtroll

Woodtroll Practically Family

That's pretty neat, as long as they don't start tearing up stuff. I think raccoons may be the most destructive animal for their size, but bears are, well, as strong as bears and can sure tear up things!

3. Just now coming back to this. Was there any hardwoods worth taking to a saw mill, Bob?

BobHufford likes this.
  4. At least 150 oak and hickory trees down. We were supposed to have a logger in this week to get the trees out of the “yard”, but it has been too wet. Access to many of the hardwoods are through National Forest land and there are all sorts of hoops to jump through there as many of those trees are down and there has to be a bidding process for salvaging them before the logger can reach those down on us.

825401BE-E7DB-486E-937E-03655261BEB5.jpeg

5. Didn't think about access thru the Mark Twain. Hope some good can come from all of it.

Bamaboots, Zombie_61 and BobHufford like this.
  6. Bugguy

Bugguy A-List Customer

I had some scrap from a fence I tore down, aged cedar. I used some to make a couple of blue bird boxes and got them up about two weeks ago. SUCCESS!! I attracted a pair... this is from this morning.

Bluebirdtele-5.jpeg

Mom on the fly...

Bluebirdtele-6.jpeg

7. Woodtroll

Good job and nice photos! Bluebirds make great neighbors.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  8. The yard is a bit of a mess right now ... but getting better.

8BEE04C8-48E1-4DD3-89C4-F7522484C5DF.jpeg

Bamaboots, Fading Fast and Zombie_61 like this.
  9. This fellow stopped by to share his condolences on the loss of the trees. And to aggravate the dogs...

Owl_1.jpg

Owl_2.jpg

10. Woodtroll

I know some cultures consider a visit from an owl a bad omen, but I think they are really amazing birds. I especially appreciate the great horned owls - lay their eggs in the snowy weather, and still tend them well enough to turn them into young owls. Their calls seem to be common here on cold, dead-calm mornings.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    Zombie_61, BobHufford and Bamaboots like this.
  11. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

Well, if they'd move that ugly ass truck out of the way... :D

BobHufford likes this.
  12. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

Heavy rains and straight line winds rolled through about an hour after the crew finished erecting the new fence. It was close.
    6A89DFDA-4491-4A90-BE44-6416B8027E6A.jpeg

MisterCairo, Zombie_61 and BobHufford like this.
  13. ^^^^ Dang Greg. Glad it didn't go towards the house either.

We have most of the trees out of the yard. Just have to clean up the smaller pieces and tops of the large oak, hickory and walnut that I didn't want added to brush piles. And then get the holes filled, the drag lines flattened and the road gravel back where it belongs. I've pretty much written off this summer for any other projects I had planned.

Back_Yard.JPG

Bamaboots and Zombie_61 like this.
  14. I miss those pines ...

yard_2019.jpeg

yard_2020.jpg

Woodtroll likes this.
  15. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

Paisley, MisterCairo and BobHufford like this.
  16. Woodtroll

We've recently had to cut some mature trees that had gotten big enough to threaten the house; most were saplings or wrist-sized when we got married and moved in here. We also recently lost a couple of big white oaks to age/disease that were large trees when my granddad was a young boy playing under them. I was really sad to see them all go, so I know how you feel and sympathize with you.

17. Bugguy

Bugguy A-List Customer

Is this what a bluebird fledgling looks like? The head is sort of blue.

birdhouses-1.jpg

Bamaboots, Woodtroll, Bushman and 2 others like this.
  18. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

File ours under "work in progress".

We built between 2018 and early 2019 on a family 100 acre farm in Perth East, Ontario, near the hamlet of Amulree.

The old farm house was demolished and the rubble burned on site. After moving in April 6th 2019, we have slowly been working on interior and exterior projects.

Both views are from our dining area, part of an open concept main floor (we built a bungalow). First is facing east, and you can see the effects of a dry spell on the grass, seeded last autumn.

The second is the back, facing due north. Projects seen include a garden area excavated and placed with armour stone, with a dry "creek bed" feature to allow for drainage. At the end on the right is a French drain, where the rocks are about four foot deep with an attached draining pipe.

Armour stone retaining walls and steps help with the slope, which is tough to mow using a tractor, and was necessary to allow us the great feature of a basement walk out.

Back 1.jpg

Back 2.jpg

BobHufford and Zombie_61 like this.