Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The irrationality of looking out the door for your package

pawineguy

One Too Many
My postwoman will always ring the doorbell if she's dropping a package out front, and she won't be here for another few hours at least. The UPS truck is loud so I always hear when they are in front of my house. Why must I then keep looking out the side lights each time I pass the front door??

@Fanch, any medical advice?

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Yep, in addition to setting up a mobile tent behind your mailbox, I also recommend careful titration of a benzodiazepine. :D lol

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
All kidding aside, anticipation of a shipment alerted to us that is "Out for Delivery" creates a great deal of anxiety - can't even take a bathroom break for fear of missing out. On one occasion when I was expecting an IWC Mark XVII, my friendly UPS guy rang the doorbell once and ran back to his truck and left with my watch before I could open the door. I chased him down the block waving my arms but to no avail. Then I jumped in car and spent the next 45 minutes tring to find him. Just as I was about to give up, I spotted him in his truck and collected my package.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Why sit inside? I recommend a nice coffee or a beer on the stoop. Enjoy the anticipation! :)

The anticipation is never enjoyable, not until the package is opened and the goods are found to be exactly what you wanted.

My postwoman will always ring the doorbell if she's dropping a package out front, and she won't be here for another few hours at least. The UPS truck is loud so I always hear when they are in front of my house. Why must I then keep looking out the side lights each time I pass the front door??

@Fanch, any medical advice?

I am doing that right this moment. But, I fear that it is too late...

pawineguy

One Too Many
All kidding aside, anticipation of a shipment alerted to us that is "Out for Delivery" creates a great deal of anxiety - can't even take a bathroom break for fear of missing out. On one occasion when I was expecting an IWC Mark XVII, my friendly UPS guy rang the doorbell once and ran back to his truck and left with my watch before I could open the door. I chased him down the block waving my arms but to no avail. Then I jumped in car and spent the next 45 minutes tring to find him. Just as I was about to give up, I spotted him in his truck and collected my package.

Haha, I have a neighbor who also works from home, and his office is in the front of his house facing the street. I alert him if I'm expecting something and he's my spotter. If I miss it he will hold the UPS or USPS person at his house until I walk down to collect my package. Yeah, we're all nuts.

Mark

Practically Family
My anxiety derives from me trying to intercept the delivery man before the wife does and demands to see the invoice! She believes all my jackets were purchased used or in a sale at half the price they actually were.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I hate waiting for a delivery. As Calvin and Hobbes teaches: "The longer you wait for the mail, the less there is in it." It seems the less I expect it, the more I get!

pawineguy

One Too Many
Finally!

IMG_5171.JPG

Last edited:

Jägernaut

Practically Family
Even worse is being stuck at work while your wife first sends a pic of the package then a pick of her wearing the jacket. My Belstaff Cougar just arrived.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner