Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Out Your Back Door

Bugguy

Practically Family
We've kept a bluebird house in the back yard for some time but I put a new one up this year. The male that nested there was so aggressive and protective I was afraid he was going to kill himself or at least shorten his beak attacking his reflection in the windows, usually starting around sunrise every morning. Good parents though, they've nested twice this year producing two offspring the first go round and five the second time. The front of this nest opens up, making it easier to clean and take baby pics. This is a pic of the five, already grown and moved on.
View attachment 127321

I had a bluebird run to maintain when I was working with the DNR in Wisconsin during my younger days. About 15 boxes that were great to watch, assuming of course that the tree swallows didn't get there first.

3fingers

One Too Many
20180826_101740.jpg
Our backyard this morning. Laundry on the line and weedeating about done.

Eyeofsauron

One of the Regulars
That's my backyard which I managed to completely kill last year. Found out that the longer the hose the less pressure, so the weed killer mix could be wrong, and it was. Waited to the fall, slit seeded and here we are. Also a giant Willow came down to the left and had to again reseed a bit. Nice to sit on our side porch and hear the Brook.
1017014c83086038176d6a2091a0bf10.jpg
1d0f71f8caa7ca8cdcad330b3bc7560d.jpg
f48a3b3383e1ea2e5b53577a2b48f455.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Sunrise Balloons
JG.jpg

Got up early to take in the view from the backyard pool overlooking the wine country in
Temecula, California.

You couldn't pay me enough money to get on one of those hot air

balloons.
After this picture was taken I almost fell into the pool.
So I went back to bed.

I could spend the rest of my life living here.
No mosquitoes and the nights are cool in the summertime.

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
Those hot air balloons are picturesque, but try looking at them from the back of a horse. The sudden appearance of one, accompanied by that horrid hissing sound they make, is enough to send even a calm Thoroughbred over the edge.

I have had horses rear, buck, spin and try to run away when one of these apparitions appears overhead. So far I have been able to maintain my seat, but one day one will catch me unawares, and I will hit the ground.

You couldn't pay me enough money to get on one of those hot air
balloons.

For about 15 odd years or so I had to work security, traffic control and jobs related to rescuing some of those nit-wits during a weekend long balloon festival held annually in one of the municipal parks. Don't care to ever see another one.

3fingers

One Too Many
I've flown several times. I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't pay to do it and really don't care if I don't do it again.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Lots of rain, Brook is running fast. Love the sound.
7569e9de42885695f7fb654fce70772a.jpg
What a lovely scene, you are right, the sound of fast running water over the rocks and stones of the riverbed, is truly musical. There are two main rivers where I live, they converge near the sea, about ten miles away. These rivers have quite a number of tributaries; streams and brooks, a perfect breeding ground for amphibians. Here's a road sign you won't see in many places, the sign is covered for most of the year but when the frogs are breeding they are out in force. (the frogs, not the signs) Likewise, when the tadpoles leave the stream as frogs, they are out in great numbers:
frog-warning.jpg

William G.

One of the Regulars
This is it, not much to see but we're working on beautifying a little once spring gets here. Val picked up some clear Christmas lights on clearance and we're going to string them around the patio when the weather gets better.

We're planning to plant a row of evergreens beside the red building for some privacy. The dogwood tree farthest back in the yard is dead and needs to come down, we may plant another evergreen there. We also have a love seat from Rural King that mom got in a set when she bought her porch chairs, she didn't want the love seat so it's going out here as well, and we have a propane fire pit that needs to go out here — we may create a second patio for the love seat and fire pit, and we might even put a pagoda out here. Who knows. Hopefully it won't look this barren a year from now.

es9XY2x.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk