1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

Out Your Back Door

Discussion in 'Your Vintage Home' started by BobHufford, Jul 17, 2016.

1. 3fingers

3fingers One Too Many

It's a long term process. When we bought our current home it had been owned by the same family for 60 years. The old folks hadn't been able to keep up with it for some time. I told my wife that it would take us 5-10 years to get it reasonably close to where we wanted it to be. I don't think that she believed me. Obviously the first couple of years made a huge difference in appearance just by cleaning up the yard, etc. It has been 7 years. We might be close in 2 more years.

2. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

I rather like the "barren" look. In our little corner of southern California half an acre is considered to be a fairly sizable lot for a residential property so, by comparison, most lots look even smaller because the owners tend to almost fill them with any variety of plant life which takes up whatever open space they would have otherwise. Don't misunderstand me--I like plants and trees, and around here they stay green nearly year-round. But some people get carried away with planting things here and there, and soon their small yards just look cluttered. I don't like clutter, so "barren" gets my approval.

William G. likes this.
  3. William G.

William G. One of the Regulars

I see what you mean. Val and I started planting flowers last year before the humidity got so awful, we sewed grass seeds, we bought wood to build a swing — and only a few of the flowers survived, most of the grass didn’t take, the swing still hasn’t been hung. It’s a slow and steady process for sure, and it’s been a learning process for us.

That’s valid. And the view is much prettier when there are leaves in the trees.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  4. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Come and tell that to my missus, her creative streak in dressmaking extends to the garden.
    Magnificent-Garden.jpg

5. 2jakes

2jakes I'll Lock Up

I like the "clutter" look. My grndma had peach, orange,lime,trees and one pomengrade tree in the back and banana
    plants all over....& I was Tarzan! :p

William G., BobHufford and Zombie_61 like this.
  6. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

When I was growing up we had nine avocado trees, an orange tree, a peach tree, a nectarine tree, a fig tree, a rose bush garden, three small lemon trees, two smallish strawberry patches (approximately 6' in diameter), two banana plants and a variety of "tropical" plants in the three-foot space along the front of the house, and, creating a border of sorts between the street and the yard, a patch of ivy five feet wide and 140 feet long, bisected by our double-wide driveway that can accommodate four cars easily. All on approximately half an acre of land. And that's not counting the space occupied by the house or the 8' x 8' chicken coop in the back yard.

So, yeah, as a kid playing Lord of the Jungle it was great. Trees to climb, fresh fruit to eat, fresh eggs, and so on. But as an adult it all becomes "maintenance" and it's a real time burglar.

7. Bushman

Bushman Call Me a Cab

[​IMG]

8. This fellow has been here all day and I don't like the way he's keeps looking at our Toy Poodle puppy.

Owl.JPG

9. Woodtroll

Woodtroll Practically Family

Those barred owls are big boys; I imagine they have big appetites too. Best keep a wary eye on him!

Zombie_61 and BobHufford like this.
  10. 3fingers

3fingers One Too Many

We have a big one that hangs around here from time to time. When he's around we watch our mini Doxie closely. I wish I could convince him to hang out somewhere else.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  11. It’s still hangin’ around...

[​IMG]

12. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

Looked out our back window yesterday and saw this (note, that building is about 15 stories high):
    IMG_5606.JPG

I also have a really cool video of the crane lifting (what we think is) part of a massive air-conditioning unit to the roof, but when I tried to load it here, Fedora kept giving me an error message since I only have the video on my laptop and not on a host site. It's a shame, cause it's really neat to see it in action.

Zombie_61, BobHufford and Bamaboots like this.
  13. The sun coming up over the hilltop in the fog put a magical light on our little valley this morning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Zombie_61, Bushman, Woodtroll and 3 others like this.
  14. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Bob i really enjoy these posts of yours. You’re little part of the world, as they say, gives me a yearning to get out and do, before they do me. Your game camera makes me want to hunt, your little stream makes me want to fly fish. There’s serenity in your posts that make me feel younger than i am.
    Thank you for sharing my friend. Keep it up.
    Bowen

15. Thanks (@AbbaDatDeHat ) Bowen! You're welcome here any time.

AbbaDatDeHat, Zombie_61 and 2jakes like this.
  16. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

"Serenity". Perfect description.

AbbaDatDeHat and BobHufford like this.
  17. Backyard Snow Drift Crab & Weeping Japanese Maple.....
    [​IMG] 206833_1770720681108_2101890_n.jpg

18. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

⇧ Those are some beautiful trees.

19. Things are starting to look a bit different...

[​IMG]

Tractor_View.jpg

[​IMG]

20. Desert dog

Desert dog Call Me a Cab

I love that Ford tractor! Are you operating the excavator? The thumb sure is handy when picking up debris.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Zombie_61 likes this.