Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Overcoat Question

JohnnyDollar

Familiar Face
Howdy loungers,

I have an older Christian Dior dark gray, double breasted overcoat that is the length I really like (comes down to slightly lower than mid calf). Anyway, I intend to start wearing it this winter more often (only wore it once last winter) and am wondering about water repellancy. Should I scotchguard it? Living in North Central Vermont, we do get a fair amount of snow, some of which is almost slushy.

Any thoughts?

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
If it's a thick wool it will have some water repellency, though it will by no means be waterproof. I'm not sure about scotchguard - perhaps someone else can advise you on that. I often wear an Austrian loden (thick felted wool) overcoat in winter and it's very good at keeping me dry but even that will soak through eventually if I'm in the rain for several hours.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
The whole point to wool as winter wear (says the Sarge who never really experiences winter except by accident!) is that it is hollow and remains warm even when soaked clear through. This is not necessarily good news, of course. Who wants an overcoat that allows your business suit to get soaked? However, it is something to take into consideration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot