Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oxford shirts?

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Correct me if I'm wrong but, Bartenders isn't this a more "General Attire" question then for the suit room?

Oxford collars existed in the 30s, weren't seen as much in the working classes I'd have to say... then again, we can't really say for sure since we weren't there. We only can go off of original photos, movies and catalogs of the period. I have said this once and I'll say it again... if one wants to dress like they did in the 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s or even 60s, find your self old family photos and study them closely. Look at how they wore their clothes, and what they wore... some things today carry over but most things don't.

I'm not a real big fan of the Oxford collars my self, the darn buttons get in the way when I want to tie a tie. lol

Hope that helps.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
2-BarbaraHutton.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Matt Deckard said:
I don't know if they can Marc. I know I used to go to the library just to draw buttons on shirt collars.

lol

Sounds to me like the OP wants to wear the Oxford shirts (either by preference or because that is what is available), but also wants a fairly acurate 30s look.... IMHO, if they were available then, and you're not interested in a typical or common 30s look (assuming that, as is said above, they weren't common on the average man), then go for it. I like them myself, though I also tend to wear a collar bar with them too (which is, I know, a bit belt and braces...).

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
So, does this mean I now have to wear my button down collar shirts with no undershirt and the top 3 buttons unbuttoned? I'm not sure I can pull this look off convincingly.

BruceTracy

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
Ta daaaa ....

annex-gable-clark-comrade-x_03.jpg
IIRC I've never seen suspenders like that before. Incidentally, is the story true that this scene, showing Gable not wearing an undershirt, caused a lot of men to stop wearing undershirts at that time?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner