Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Packable Panama

byronic

One of the Regulars
Summer is on its way (or so the weathermen keep telling us), so I'm mulling over buying my first ever Panama, but could use a few pointers: I travel a lot, so would prefer something that is packable/crushable/rollable.
Also I would prefer something 'Fair Trade', or whatever the phrase is, that is a hat that is made by workers who have been fairly renumerated for their efforts. And of course, it must be in a Fedora style.
All advice welcome.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
byronic said:
Summer is on its way (or so the weathermen keep telling us), so I'm mulling over buying my first ever Panama, but could use a few pointers: I travel a lot, so would prefer something that is packable/crushable/rollable.
Also I would prefer something 'Fair Trade', or whatever the phrase is, that is a hat that is made by workers who have been fairly renumerated for their efforts. And of course, it must be in a Fedora style.
All advice welcome.

One from Hammacher Schlemmer.

One from Travelsmith.

And a few from old Blighty

Chainsaw

Suspended
Quike question RBlain, are all Panamas rollable? And if not how can one tell? thank you for your time.

byronic

One of the Regulars
Thanks RBlain. I am spoilt for choice now, but the Hammacher & Schlemmer is my favourite for the time being.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Chainsaw said:
Quike question RBlain, are all Panamas rollable? And if not how can one tell? thank you for your time.

I know you asked Blaine, but... no, they are not. Always be sure they are described as rollable or packable.

Chainsaw

Suspended
Thanks Bogart, I'm still confused about the Panama's. Funny thing, my buddy from Ecuador hasn't even heard of the hat before. Just to add to the confusion.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Even if they are described as rollable, you WILL reduce their service life by rolling them. Fibers can only stand being flexed so many times - and rolling is hard on them. The more you roll them, the sooner they will crack.

Personally, I have three Panamas from PanamaBob and am quite happy with them.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here

byronic

One of the Regulars
Pilgrim said:
Even if they are described as rollable, you WILL reduce their service life by rolling them. Fibers can only stand being flexed so many times - and rolling is hard on them. The more you roll them, the sooner they will crack.

Personally, I have three Panamas from PanamaBob and am quite happy with them.
PanamaBob's hats are ethically produced are they not? But are any of them Rollable? I do not know his details/website, etc. Just that i seem to remember reading that about his hats here a long time ago.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Chainsaw said:
are all Panamas rollable? And if not how can one tell?
I've never seen a rollable with a leather sweatband; they've all had one made of cloth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy