Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

Jerry Probst

One of the Regulars
For a first attempt, the results look really good. Smooth that block down and it will look even better. I would start out with 100 grit and move up to 220 ... maybe even 400 to get it ultra smooth. Good Saturday afternoon project. :)

For a first attempt, the results look really good. Smooth that block down and it will look even better. I would start out with 100 grit and move up to 220 ... maybe even 400 to get it ultra smooth. Good Saturday afternoon project. :)

I like the sounds of a good Saturday afternoon project. It probably would have worked better if I had used a smaller block as I really could not get this body all the way down on it. Beggars/choosers and all that...

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In just under 3 months I have picked up my third Brent Black. (A hat trick). I offered $150 which was accepted. The only thing I dislike about this hat is the sweatband is not leather. It has the black cotton twill that Brent Black offers. I do like that it has a brown crown ribbon vs the standard black.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRENT-BLACK-Montecristi-Classic-Fedora-Panama-Hat-Brown-Ribbon-7-5-EXCELLENT/362295478753?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

View attachment 114691 View attachment 114692 View attachment 114693 View attachment 114694 View attachment 114695 View attachment 114696
It arrived today. My third Brent Black.
IMG_4198.jpg
IMG_4199.jpg
IMG_4202.jpg
IMG_4203.jpg
IMG_4204.jpg
IMG_4195.jpg
IMG_4209.jpg

Two have 2 3/4" brims the other is 2 1/2". Two have black ribbons and the other brown. I am thinking I'm going to send the two with black ribbons to Art Fawcett. They both need cleaning and while there I will get the ribbons replaced. I want something with color. Maybe one blue and the other green?

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 115777
Two have 2 3/4" brims the other is 2 1/2". Two have black ribbons and the other brown. I am thinking I'm going to send the two with black ribbons to Art Fawcett. They both need cleaning and while there I will get the ribbons replaced. I want something with color. Maybe one blue and the other green?

Bill those are some serious panama hats. Congrats. I like the idea of spreading the color wealth. A sage green and a blue with an Art color splash would make those hats sparkle.

Wear them with pride. Best, Eric -

RJR

View attachment 115771 View attachment 115772 View attachment 115773 View attachment 115774 View attachment 115775 View attachment 115776 View attachment 115777
Great collection,congrats.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Anyone else itching to break out the summer hats. Just noticed Panamahatsdirect has a beginning of the season sale going on right now, if anyone is interested. I need to get mine out of storage and steamed up to get the moisture back into them. Alberta is wonderful in so many whys but it is dry as hell. I will post pictures when they are good to go.
Johnny

Jerry Probst

One of the Regulars
Anyone else itching to break out the summer hats. Just noticed Panamahatsdirect has a beginning of the season sale going on right now, if anyone is interested. I need to get mine out of storage and steamed up to get the moisture back into them. Alberta is wonderful in so many whys but it is dry as hell. I will post pictures when they are good to go.
Johnny

I’ve been wearing mine for several weeks already ... but I live in Texas ;)

View attachment 115771 View attachment 115772 View attachment 115773 View attachment 115774 View attachment 115775 View attachment 115776 View attachment 115777

I love diversity so I’m all for the different ribbon colors. I also like pugs for the same reason only they’re cheaper and quickly changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny

We already hit 90 degrees Fahrenheit, so yeah, the straw hats have started making appearances. I also took advantage of the Panama Hats Direct sale a couple of weeks ago.

SHatfield

New in Town
Has anyone ever ordered a "Hemingway" hat from Brent Black? They're less expensive, less handwork, possible slightly off or blemished according to his site. His site basically says, don't ask for pics of them. I'm intrigued by his site, but I can't really enter the arena with a $500 hat right now, but it seems he's one of the better sellers. I can pull off the $350 for the Hemingway but would like to see one if anybody has pics. Thanks

Steve

AndyR

One of the Regulars
Can't help you with pics or experience, but I clicked on the enlargements of The Hemingway on his site and they do show some irregularities. Wouldn't those be considered a good representation of what you might get? Wondering a little myself.

I guess if you were going to take a chance on a hat with some issues, maybe you could look at a cheaper (say, $200) 'regular' hat at a place like Panama Hats Direct, which is having a sale 'I think'.

Unless you are set on a BB hat, which I fully understand. I'd be kicking around those two options.

AndyR

One of the Regulars
I can't argue with you there Steve. I'd love a BB straw too. I also could not spring for a $500 hat at this time.

Well, not even a $350 hat, considering I've got my eye on a nice low D pennywhistle for over $200.

Funny that they're called pennywhistles. That's a lot of pennies :)

AndyR

One of the Regulars
Oh no, I sense a thread hijack. LOL! I promise I won't...except for this (HA!), Those Fred Rose whistles are gorgeous. Good for you.

I was considering a Chieftain or MK, but I'm still trying to figure out what's right for me.

I'm going to be sitting in the yard this summer with my Panama hat on, playing my low d whistle for sure. See how I slipped something about hats in there? :)

Oh no, I sense a thread hijack. LOL! I promise I won't...except for this (HA!), Those Fred Rose whistles are gorgeous. Good for you.

I was considering a Chieftain or MK, but I'm still trying to figure out what's right for me.

I'm going to be sitting in the yard this summer with my Panama hat on, playing my low d whistle for sure. See how I slipped something about hats in there? :)

And here I was thinking that a Pennywhistle was some sort of Panama hat. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters