Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

SHatfield

New in Town
After communicating with Brent Black I have decided to look elsewhere. I've ordered a super fino Havana from Panama Hats Direct site. Initially I ordered the wrong style, but called 800# this morning and spoke to a kind gentleman who fixed it. Now the waiting game begins. Can't wait.

AndyR

One of the Regulars
They sent me a picture of the hat they pulled for me. They still have to sew in the sweatband and put on the ribbon, but that was pretty cool. I can't wait.

That's always good. I was able to pic which one I wanted from a picture too, so at least you kind of know what you are getting.

AndyR

One of the Regulars
How long from when you ordered did it take to Get?

I really can't remember now. Unfortunately, there was some shipping back and forth, so it might have been a couple of months.

The first hat was the wrong size, which was totally my fault. I never knew a measuring tape could be faulty.

Walter Neff1940

One of the Regulars
Has anyone ever ordered a "Hemingway" hat from Brent Black? They're less expensive, less handwork, possible slightly off or blemished according to his site. His site basically says, don't ask for pics of them. I'm intrigued by his site, but I can't really enter the arena with a $500 hat right now, but it seems he's one of the better sellers. I can pull off the $350 for the Hemingway but would like to see one if anybody has pics. Thanks

Steve
If he won't provide pics of a hat regardless of the cost, I believe I would just look elsewhere. No one is that established or important to just hand over money based on the person.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
If he won't provide pics of a hat regardless of the cost, I believe I would just look elsewhere. No one is that established or important to just hand over money based on the person.
I just ordered a Panama from Optimo. It should arrive in a month. I was offered one for $695, I believe, when I visited their store in March. It was nice, but I decided to wait until I learned a little about Panamas and had a chance to compare theirs with those of a dealer in Mexico City, where I live. Optimo's are superior by far in the evenness of the weave and the beauty of the straw, even if they are more expensive. The difference was obvious, even to my unpracticed eyes.

Tiffani recently emailed me pictures of several Panamas in different price ranges, and I made my choice and ordered from them...

Optimo is certainly trustworthy, and it seems to me that if I am not knowledgeable on the subject of Panamas, but know of a place where I am guaranteed quality and receive courteous, cordial, helpful, punctual, and professional service, my choice is clear.

I have ordered and received six felt hats from them in the last five weeks. They are all beautiful, amazing even, and they all arrived before the date they were promised.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

I just ordered a Panama from Optimo. It should arrive in a month. I was offered one for $695, I believe, when I visited their store in March. It was nice, but I decided to wait until I learned a little about Panamas and had a chance to compare theirs with those of a dealer in Mexico City, where I live. Optimo's are superior by far in the evenness of the weave and the beauty of the straw, even if they are more expensive. The difference was obvious, even to my unpracticed eyes.

Tiffani recently emailed me pictures of several Panamas in different price ranges, and I made my choice and ordered from them...

Optimo is certainly trustworthy, and it seems to me that if I am not knowledgeable on the subject of Panamas, but know of a place where I am guaranteed quality and receive courteous, cordial, helpful, punctual, and professional service, my choice is clear.

I have ordered and received six felt hats from them in the last five weeks. They are all beautiful, amazing even, and they all arrived before the date they were promised.

Six Optimos in five weeks? You wouldn’t be looking to adopt a very nice 50 year old hat aficionado would you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After the nice comments my Ecuadorian Supernatural got in the whaywt-thread I realised I haven't posted it here (nor in the new hats thread). Shame on me. Without further ado: Ecudorian Supernatural panama in size 56. Bound brim at 8cm and crown 12 cm at the pinch. When I first laid eyes on it it wasn't in this good a shape and the two Mikes (Redfokker and Miller) brought it back to life (as far as it would go) and provided the lovely pug that adorns it. It has a nice fine and even weave (which attracted me to it in the first place), but somewhere along the line someone decided it needed a good dose of shellac and paint, which resulted in its current look and stiffness. That's something you can't see looking at auction pictures. The inside still has the natural colour, while the outside is more or less painted white. It's still a very nice hat; it looks good and fits me very well. But it could have been awesome, had it been flexible as I think panamas are supposed to be.

panama legit_1.jpg
panama legit_2.jpg
panama legit_3.jpg
panama legit_4.jpg
panama legit_5.jpg
panama legit_6.jpg
panama legit_7.jpg
panama legit_8.jpg

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Six Optimos in five weeks? You wouldn’t be looking to adopt a very nice 50 year old hat aficionado would you?

The unexpected death of a golfing buddy in December has made me stop wanting to be the richest man in the graveyard.
I had denied myself luxuries my whole life. No more.

AndyR

One of the Regulars
Uh oh. I used my wife's sewing tahpe, I hope I got it close....

That's how you do it. I'm sure it will work fine. The one I used was a cheap piece of garbage.

About a year later, I had downloaded and printed a sizing guide that you tape around your head and it gives you the measurement.

I kept comparing that with the measuring tape and I couldn't figure out why there was a discrepancy.

My last resort was to check the measuring tape against a good ruler and I was shocked to see how far off it was.

Suddenly, it made sense. I think the original hat I got from my first measurement would have been too big for Andre the Giant.

The unexpected death of a golfing buddy in December has made me stop wanting to be the richest man in the graveyard.

I’m sorry for your loss. Not knowing how much the me we have with friends and family weighs heavy on most of us.

AndyR

One of the Regulars

Sorry to hear. Yes, loss such as this will certainly change your perspective.

Nice haul on the Optimos. Congrats! I live just outside of Chicago and I don't even dare drive over to their shop. :)

After the nice comments my Ecuadorian Supernatural got in the whaywt-thread I realised I haven't posted it here (nor in the new hats thread). Shame on me. Without further ado: Ecudorian Supernatural panama in size 56. Bound brim at 8cm and crown 12 cm at the pinch. When I first laid eyes on it it wasn't in this good a shape and the two Mikes (Redfokker and Miller) brought it back to life (as far as it would go) and provided the lovely pug that adorns it. It has a nice fine and even weave (which attracted me to it in the first place), but somewhere along the line someone decided it needed a good dose of shellac and paint, which resulted in its current look and stiffness. That's something you can't see looking at auction pictures. The inside still has the natural colour, while the outside is more or less painted white. It's still a very nice hat; it looks good and fits me very well. But it could have been awesome, had it been flexible as I think panamas are supposed to be.

View attachment 117638 View attachment 117639 View attachment 117640 View attachment 117641 View attachment 117642 View attachment 117643 View attachment 117644 View attachment 117645
Good to see this one again. It was an odd bird for sure. Makes one wonder "what in the hell was he thinking?" Hat has stories, I'm sure.

AndyR

One of the Regulars
somewhere along the line someone decided it needed a good dose of shellac and paint, which resulted in its current look and stiffness. That's something you can't see looking at auction pictures. The inside still has the natural colour, while the outside is more or less painted white.

Paint? Seriously? I would never have guessed from these pictures. Good looking hat! Nice pug.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff