Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

Air Wing Marine

One of the Regulars
Hi Tukwila:

Maybe you can offer a suggestion for a vendor. I want a hat that is cool, breathable and soft for daily wear so I dont want to spend a lot of money. I prefer a 5 cm to 6 cm brim. I'm thinking of maybe a Cuenca in natural. Quality of blocking is important to me. Did I mention I didn't want to spend a lot of money?

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
To get everything you want is not cheap.

I would call Art at VS or Mike Miller at NW Hats to get a semi-calado with the blocking you want, and a leather sweat. Otherwise, a basic Cuenca from most of the listed vendors without the blocking and a cotton sweatband...

Panama Hats Direct
Gambino
Ecua Andino
Homero Ortega

Diana at Ortega and Ana Arias at Ecua Andino know me.

Tukwila

IIRC, baku, buntal and parabuntal straw are terms used interchangeably. Not sure if the use holds true to the actual straw or not, but my parabuntal straw hats are the lightest of any of my hats, felt or straw, and that includes high end Montecristi paja toquilla straw used for Panama hats.

The only thing I like better about paja toquilla is the semi-calado or ventilated patterns you can get in that style.

Look around for a vintage buntal or parabuntal by Borsalino, Stetson, Tesi and others. You can get some pretty good bargains sometimes.

Bill Hughes

Elias Israel was selling straw hats in NYC in 1902, perhaps earlier. He registered the trademark "Supernatural" in 1921. The Ecuadorian Panama Hat Company was a steady source for some of the nicest Montecristi, milan and leghorn woven straw hats during the first half of the 20th century. This example is no exception - a quality weave of approximately 700 wpi in the optimo or classic form, 5" crown, 2 3/4" brim. Mint condition. It is too large for me at 7 1/2 so I have listed it for sale in the classifieds.

monte1.jpg

monte2.jpg

monte3.jpg

monte4.jpg
Because of this post I snapped up this 1950s (I think) Ecuadorian Supernatural Milan I ran across. I am in que for a Milan from Art Fawcett. It will be interesting to compare vintage and new Milan.

IMG_5790.jpg
IMG_5791.jpg
IMG_5792.jpg
IMG_5793.jpg
IMG_5797.jpg
IMG_5796.jpg
IMG_5789.jpg
IMG_5794.jpg

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
Arrived today. It’s a frigid 63 degrees here in California so it’s time to start thinking about straw. :)
This will need some steam and some shaping, but it meets all my criteria for a Panama hat:
Open weave so it breathes well
Leather sweatband
Cheap so it won’t ruin my day when I loose or damage it.

cec27e73986ddf2c6a7d68c20556c1e1.jpg

3872772fac5d7c8e5f83a2cdaedb34d1.jpg

993f1c5296446682da1f330ae7674afd.jpg

9e4db039dd6474194dfb9dd72b75e7d3.jpg

de56887bd8eca401adc9c6a83548a7d3.jpg

0bea8d7cdaf2f0723e8d828744742f42.jpg

4f99eee016e938d2fbf146369e35c371.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I would actually like to recant my 'like' because you said it's 63 degrees. Jealousy at it's finest.

Another new hat added to the collection. The was on the bay several times but didn't sell, probably because it didn't look its best. Like this.
pan3-jpg.154765

Finally for the price I thought why not? A somewhat scruffy but very nice vintage panama shows up.
Huber's Men's shop from Bellefontaine. That's all I can tell you about it really. No labels or anything in the hat. Feels like a size 7. Have to confess I mistreated this hat right off the bat: trying to iron a patch to a weak spot in the straw I came too close to the sweat. It didn't like that and shriveled up on me (damn!). Still best $6 I spent in a long long time.
huber-panama_01-jpg.154766
huber-panama_02-jpg.154767
huber-panama_04-jpg.154768
huber-panama_05-jpg.154769
huber-panama_06-jpg.154770
huber-panama_07-jpg.154771
huber-panama_08-jpg.154772
huber-panama_09-jpg.154773
huber-panama_11-jpg.154774

Bill Hughes

Because of this post I snapped up this 1950s (I think) Ecuadorian Supernatural Milan I ran across. I am in que for a Milan from Art Fawcett. It will be interesting to compare vintage and new Milan.

View attachment 153860 View attachment 153861 View attachment 153862 View attachment 153863 View attachment 153864 View attachment 153865 View attachment 153866 View attachment 153867

This arrived last week. I just am now getting around to opening it and taking a few pictures. The sweatband will have to be re-sewn and there is white mark (looks like a pencil mark) on the underside of the brim. Also the crown badge is starting to come loose so I'll need to take care of that. But all-in-all a really nice hat. This is my second Supernatural but first vintage Milan.

IMG_5878.jpg IMG_5880.jpg IMG_5881.jpg IMG_5883.jpg IMG_5885.jpg IMG_5888.jpg IMG_5889.jpg IMG_5890.jpg IMG_5891.jpg IMG_5893.jpg

gabriel100

New in Town
Does anyone know what happened with modesto hats ??
It was a very good store of Montecristi hats but now i can’t find their website
They even remove their Facebook acount

Shanghailander

One of the Regulars
That's funny, I'm not related to that company at all. I just wanted to hear some opinions but as I see no one has any.

This is in relation to a new member inquiring about Panamahatcollections, an internet seller of Panama hats. He was accused of being a shill.

Here is my recent experience with this company:

(By the way, the original poster is NOT a shill - his English is too good)

Saw a "Havana" fino hat I liked. $129.00 delivered.

Havana Panama hat.jpg

There were two "Havanas" listed, both Finos. I asked what the difference was. They appeared slightly different in the photos.

Was told they were the same. But now the price was $157.00

I emailed back to clarify, since the price was still different, and was told the price was now $169.00

This has left a bad taste in my mouth and I've decided to shop elsewhere.

Another Fedora Lounger said:

"The variables, styling, sizing, shape, sweats, etc. from offshore companies have left me burned too often. I’d rather pay more for a hat made my a maker of known reputation and know I’m getting a quality hat."

Good advice.

Tukwila

I would not buy from a company that changes prices with every correspondence.

I have purchased from Ecua Andina and Homero Ortega, but only while in Ecuador and in their respective shops.

Many of the ebay companies I have looked at try to sell Cuenca made hats for too much money by incorrectly labeling them as high weave count Montecristi hats... or selling sub-fino hats as fino or fino fino.

I would not buy from a company that changes prices with every correspondence.

I have purchased from Ecua Andina and Homero Ortega, but only while in Ecuador and in their respective shops.

Many of the ebay companies I have looked at try to sell Cuenca made hats for too much money by incorrectly labeling them as high weave count Montecristi hats... or selling sub-fino hats as fino or fino fino.

I know you’ve had Mike at NW block Panama hats for you, but have you ever bought a hat body from him? If someone, let’s call him Sam, wanted a nicely shaped medium or slightly higher grade Panama hat where should I...I mean Sam go? Not all of us have access to spectacular hat bodies bought at the source or the discretionary income to call Brent Black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ