Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
I'm aware, but sometimes they also say the type, i.e., toyo, shantung, etc.
I'm afraid not. Just says 100% paper, and that the label is made from recycled plastic. Reverse side says the same in Spanish, and includes a UPC number:
79c25i9.jpg

gabriel100

New in Town
I found this Goodfellow & Co panama hat at Target. Despite being from China, it has a good sturdiness to it that I found acceptable. I was surprised to actually find a decent quality panama hat in a store like Target:
OTETOce.jpg
That not a panana hat (100%toquilla)
The weave is very diferent
It might be shantung or toyo that are in esence another type of paper
Remember nothing good comes from china in terms of quality

psklenar

One of the Regulars
I'm taking a chance on a Panama Hats Direct hat. It's a Montecristi, sub fino, semi calado, Havana style, pre-made, on sale hat ($97 USD plus S&H). I figured it's a fairly inexpensive way to see how their sizing compares to other hat makers (I seem to wear a 59 in Stetson and 58 in Mayser) in case I ever want to take a chance on one of their more finely woven hats. They report it left the shop yesterday and should be in the US in 10-12 days after which I'll get a tracking number.

<fingers crossed>
pat----

Attachments

• SM_22853-12-69980.jpg
    SM_22853-12-69980.jpg
    448.8 KB · Views: 271
  • SM_22853-15-70079.jpg
    SM_22853-15-70079.jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 267
  • SM_22853-17-90781.jpg
    SM_22853-17-90781.jpg
    437.5 KB · Views: 265

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Great hat. I'll be interested in your size comparisons as I am about ready to pull the trigger on a PHD hat.

I'm taking a chance on a Panama Hats Direct hat. It's a Montecristi, sub fino, semi calado, Havana style, pre-made, on sale hat ($97 USD plus S&H). I figured it's a fairly inexpensive way to see how their sizing compares to other hat makers (I seem to wear a 59 in Stetson and 58 in Mayser) in case I ever want to take a chance on one of their more finely woven hats. They report it left the shop yesterday and should be in the US in 10-12 days after which I'll get a tracking number.

<fingers crossed>
pat----

That is a great looking panama you got there, Jack. Good catch.
Thanks Stefan. We get a lot of humidity here in the summer so I hope it doesn't go wonky being so lightweight & all. I'll try hard to take good care of it.

Jack, it's hard to tell by the picture but, is the brim curled or flat?
It has a slight bit of cup in the flange like an OR. Not rolled up in the back or sides. I think of it has a timeless Panama style & not a fedora style. Thanks for the compliment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto