Panama Hat Thread

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Burma Shave, Mar 28, 2006.

1. UnclePete

UnclePete New in Town

Anyone out there with a Stetson Whippet Hemp ?

Rmccamey likes this.
  2. DRB

DRB One Too Many

A Montecristi Special Reserve is born. Woven from scratch. It took 12 days from start to hat body camera shot. It's possible the weaver may have been mostly done with the hat when the order was placed. It still needs to be finished with hatband, sweatband, liner, pinch protector. Probably another 12-15 days for shipping after that. This company is moving pretty quickly.
    Optimo Classic Fedora I bought this with black ribbon b.jpg

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  3. Tukwila

Tukwila Call Me a Cab

Is this through Modesto?

4. psklenar

psklenar One of the Regulars

DRB and Tukwila like this.
  5. DRB

DRB One Too Many

Tukwila: Ordered it from Panama Hats Direct.

Pat: It is their classic Fedora. I saw your hat pictures earlier, but I couldn't remember where. Thanks for the link. When do you expect it to arrive? Can't wait to see it!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    Tukwila likes this.
  6. psklenar

DRB, They say it should be at the US distribution point within 12-15 days from the date of shipping from Ecuador, so if they mean "calendar days", it should be in the US tomorrow. If "work days", that would be Friday or next Monday. At that point I should receive a tracking number as it enters the USA shipping networks.

I like the look of your Fedora ... if I ever do a higher end hat from them, I'm pretty sure that's the route I'll go. :)

pat----

Tukwila and DRB like this.
  7. DRB

DRB One Too Many

Thank you Sir. Looks good so far. We'll see.

8. DRB

DRB One Too Many

Got an email and picture saying the sweatband was just installed.
    tempsnip.jpg

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  9. DanO

DanO One of the Regulars

Just got an email this morning from PHD
    Spring [​IMG] Panama hat Offer [​IMG] 20% OFF!

Tukwila, Zombie_61, DRB and 2 others like this.
  10. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

Gracias, Douglas. I didn't know that.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Tukwila and Zombie_61 like this.
  11. psklenar

Yep. Just note that that's for "Inventory" hats ... ones that are already mostly finished like the one I ordered a couple weeks ago and not for the total custom jobs like the one DRB is having made. :)

pat----

Tukwila, Zombie_61 and DRB like this.
  12. DRB

DRB One Too Many

Pat, that's right. It's for the hats that are already woven and in stock. Here is a different hat from them that I ordered last week that was in stock, not custom made. Wish I had waited a week for the sale.
    In-stock (at the time) Montecristi Fino Fino:
    They recently got finished installing the black 1/2 inch leather band. For reference, they sell this for $325 plus $65 shipping from Ecuador. I have not received the hat yet. Actual pictures of the hat.
    Montecristi Fino Fino, Havana, $325, Panama Hats Direct, before sweatband installation (1).JPG Montecristi Fino Fino, Havana, $325, Panama Hats Direct, before sweatband installation (2).JPG Montecristi Fino Fino, Havana, $325, Panama Hats Direct, before sweatband installation.JPG Capture 2.JPG

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  13. Tukwila

Tukwila Call Me a Cab

Is $65 what everyone is being charged for shipping from Ecuador? Last time i ordered one, it was $40 through DHL.

deadlyhandsome and Zombie_61 like this.
  14. psklenar

Mine was/is $29.87 for "standard" shipping. That's where they wait and ship a bunch at once to FL and then once there they are repackaged individually and shipped. That's when I'm to receive a tracking number.

pat----

deadlyhandsome, DRB and Tukwila like this.
  15. DRB

DRB One Too Many

From Ecuador. That was for 5-10 day option for the first, more expensive custom, hat. The second, cheaper Fino Fino, hat is being shipped for $46, but that includes the weight of a balsa box that I also purchased. The second hat I am shipping slower at 10-15 days. Hope this helps. Regarding parcels, being retired from the Army as well as the Post Office I know that size matters (and weight).

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    deadlyhandsome and Tukwila like this.
  16. DRB

DRB One Too Many

Tukwila: Beautiful hat! You got a great deal on a remarkable piece of art. Stay cool! I always enjoy reading your posts. I learn something all the time....Dennis

Tukwila, Zombie_61 and deadlyhandsome like this.
  17. DRB

DRB One Too Many

I don't remember who posted this about 10 years ago. I thought it was worthy of a second look. Window shopping.
    Washington, DC, circa 1919, Hat display, Saks and Co Panama hats, and how they're made, National Photo Company Collection glass negative. Washington, DC, circa 1919,Saks and Co Panama hats.jpg

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  18. Rosecitymike

Rosecitymike One of the Regulars

Very much looking forward to a review of this one.

DRB and Zombie_61 like this.
  19. alanfgag

alanfgag

Haha Dennis... thanks for catching it. This was the first Montecristi hat I purchased. I missed out on the other that ended just before this one. Both sold for less than $50 if memory serves me.

I have purchased perhaps a dozen optimo blocked panamas since. I have a hard time passing on them. Some were cleaner and some finer. I do wear them all over the course of the summer - this one too.

20. DRB

DRB One Too Many

Not sure what happened to my post, but here it is again. Alan posted this hat 10 years ago and I am just getting around to appreciating it. Beautiful hat Alan!