Panama Hat Thread

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Burma Shave, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Kane

Kane Familiar Face

This is an inspiring thread. With the weather taking a turn here in Southern California I’m thinking of getting a new straw hat. Other than the cheap hats I go though at the lawnmower supply store that last a couple of weeks before they fall apart, my current straw hat is a Stetson western style. The Stetson’s great but it’s a tall, wide brimmed hat. I think a nice Panama hat may be the way to go.
    It sounds like people have had good experiences with Panama Hats Direct. From their website’s sale, any opinion on these hats:

https://www.panamahatsdirect.com/shop/panama-hat/cuenca-grade-8-havana-3939.html

https://www.panamahatsdirect.com/shop/panama-hat/montecristi-super-fino-plantation-4670.html#size

Are these hats the real deal?
    Is the Montecristi that much better than the Cuenca?
    How true is the size on these?

I was thinking of getting a Stetson Milan straw Stratoliner, but this thread has me reconsidering.

DRB and deadlyhandsome like this.
  2. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

If you’re looking at a “straw” Stratoliner than I’d recommend sticking to the hemp hats. The current Milan hats are plastic and not at all to my liking (YMMV).

PHD is a legitimate source for Panama hats. I have a few and some bargains can be had. The PHD blocking isn’t my favorite, and I loathe the rubbery “genuine leather” sweatbands. If you’re like me and send them out to be reblocked and get the sweatband replaced then the value becomes questionable and you might be better off contacting a domestic hatter who knows Panama hats and getting one made for you.

If you just want a hat(s) to wear in the summer then I think the hemp hats are great. If you want a fine summer dress hat, or just something more refined, then the higher grade Panamas are the better option.

Of course this is The Fedora Lounge so I’ll say get one or more of each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tropicalbob, DRB, Tukwila and 6 others like this.
  3. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

Located in CA. https://gomezhatcompany.com/

Zombie_61, AbbaDatDeHat and ruvort like this.
  4. Kane

Kane Familiar Face

Thanks for the tips!
    Why hemp? What hemp do you like?(on top of your head that is )

5. tropicalbob

tropicalbob My Mail is Forwarded Here

DH's comments are right on the money. I've had some success with Peters Bros. in Ft. Worth. For $150.00 you can get a custom hemp in any style and with whatever specs you choose. I have three Stratoliners in three different colors and am considering one more. The website seems to be permanently under construction but you can just call them directly.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  6. Bushman

Bushman My Mail is Forwarded Here

I need to stay out of this thread. This thread is dangerous. Every time I leave it, I find myself searching for another new Panama hat.

Zombie_61, psklenar, Tukwila and 5 others like this.
  7. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

^^^yeah, like a moth to flame!
    B

DRB, Bushman, Zombie_61 and 1 other person like this.
  8. deadlyhandsome

A cheap, but very breathable, recent acquisition. It was little more than a lump of misshapen paja toquilla. I wish I had taken some “before” photos. My steamer, a spray bottle, a steam iron, and my heated aluminum “block” we’re all called into service. It’s still a sub fino but it’s now wearable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. DRB

DRB One Too Many

Your hat might be "cheap" but you make it look good. Great job on the reshaping. Breathing new life into an old hat is one of the most fascinating aspects of this hobby of ours.

One of my favorite straw hats was a cheap $25 straw from 10 years ago. It made me more happy than some more expensive hats have. To me, a hat doesn't need to be expensive, just appreciated. Here I am at Niagara Falls with my cheap hat. I wish I knew what I did with that hat. aVeronica Oct2009796 (10).JPG

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  10. Hatyulo

Hatyulo New in Town

Thank you!
    I keep reading the thread. ;)

Zombie_61 likes this.
  11. pnbarber

pnbarber New in Town

I can see why you liked the hat, it's nice looking.

One of my favorite straw hats was a cheap $25 straw from 10 years ago. It made me more happy than some more expensive hats have. To me, a hat doesn't need to be expensive, just appreciated. Here I am at Niagara Falls with my cheap hat. I wish I knew what I did with that hat. View attachment 163066 [/QUOTE]

Zombie_61 and DRB like this.
  12. gabriel100

gabriel100 New in Town

Of course a Montecristi hat is far more better than cuenca hat
    I bought a Montecristi short brim fedora from panama hat direct is a super fino (15x15wpsi)
    I am satisfied with it

Attached Files:

13. deadlyhandsome

Montecristi hats are not necessarily better than Cuenca hats. There are some pretty terrible Montecristi hats and some absolutely wonderful Cuenca hats out there.

There is also a lot of dishonesty and many hats marketed and sold as Montecristis are actually Cuencas.

14. DRB

DRB One Too Many

[/QUOTE]

Thank you Perry. I loved that ol' girl.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  15. gabriel100

gabriel100 New in Town

Montecristi hats are the elite of the straw hats
    is true that there are good cuenca hats out there
    But a well woven Montecristi is always going to be better
    Is like comparing gold and silver

16. deadlyhandsome

I own a few of both, including two purchased from PHD, but I don’t claim expertise. I will say that in my experience a $200 Montecristi isn’t any better than a $200 Cuenca. I’ll also say that for daily wear I like the less fine brisa hats.

Zombie_61 and Tukwila like this.
  17. Rmccamey

Rmccamey One Too Many

There is a Montechristi on eBay now for $24, don't miss out :)

Zombie_61 and deadlyhandsome like this.
  18. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Has anyone heard of The Gamboa Hat Co? https://www.panamahatmall.com/en/panama-hats-for-men-c-4539.html
    My new Panama, made in Ecuador, is the first one that I have tried from this company. It took a bit of getting used to, brim down all round is new to me, as is the tear drop crown. As with all new things, I'm never sure. But my missus tells me that Sean Connery wore a brim down Panama in Just Cause. And Christopher Lee & many others have made the brim down look very popular. (The jury is still out.)
    panama hat 003.JPG panama hat 004.JPG panama hat 005.JPG panama hat 006.JPG

steur, quikrick, Bamaboots and 10 others like this.
  19. buler

buler My Mail is Forwarded Here

Champ genuine panama (more in the Champ thread)

IMG_2540.jpg IMG_2541.jpg

20. buler

buler My Mail is Forwarded Here

Stetson Genuine Panama

IMG_2535.jpg IMG_2536.jpg