Panama Hat Thread

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Burma Shave, Mar 28, 2006.

1. DRB

DRB One Too Many

GHT: I am the same way with down brims. Just don't know since I am so used to fedora style. I do know that my one down brim provides better sun protection. Down brim and straw seem to go together. Listen to your missus and you can't go wrong, EVER! :)

Zombie_61, Hatyulo and psklenar like this.
  2. Hatyulo

Hatyulo New in Town

Absolutely, brim down style is the way to go with typical "adventurer" style hats.

DRB, Zombie_61 and Bushman like this.
  3. DRB

DRB One Too Many

Optimo Montecrist Open Weave .JPG This is a Panama that Optimo has for sale now. I do not own it. The brim is a bit too large for me. Here is the email Tiffany sent to me:

Good morning ladies and gentlemen,

Today I show a beautiful entry level Montecristi Open Weave Homburg in exactly your size. This is not a style we typically stock and open weave Montecristis are extremely are so this is an amazing find.

Open weaves are fantastic for letting some air through while still keeping you protected. They are perfect for golfers.

It has a 3 7/8" brim (unrolled) which makes it perfectly tailored for most builds while providing male sun protection. It also has a classic styled nicotine (darkest brown) 16L (1.5”) ribbon.

The weave of this particular hat is right at the top end of our entry level fino weaves. It can be worn practically on a day to day basis. This is a great choice for those looking to add something unique to your Montecristi collection or as an additional hat to relieve the wear of your daily user.

The cost is $995 plus shipping if necessary.

Good luck!

Hat Stye: Montecristi Open Weave Homburg
    Brim Width: 3 7/8"
    Ribbon Color: Nicotine
    Price: $995

4. Rosecitymike

Rosecitymike Familiar Face

That’s a nice one! Love my optimo panama and always look forward to emails on the rare occasion a hat in my size pops up

DRB likes this.
  5. psklenar

psklenar One of the Regulars

Just received (thank heaven's it's lunch hour!) my new Brent Black Hemingway with Storm Grey ribbon! I'm not sure what's "wrong" with the hat body that prevented him from using it for one of his regular hats ... it looks gorgeous to me! <3 And sooooooo light!! :eek:

pat----

Attached Files:

6. DRB

DRB One Too Many

Pat, congratulations on your new Montecristi. Looks like a pretty tight weave. Blocked well too. Very Nice! I look forward to seeing more pictures when you get a chance.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  7. DRB

DRB One Too Many

I'm not trying to upstage Pat's Brent Black, which is fantastic, but I thought I would add this hat to the thread. I hope to see more pictures of Pat's hat here when he gets time.
    Here are some pictures of an optimo I rescued from the E-bay. It fits well. My overall perception is that it is in good vintage shape. $75. I'm no expert, but the weave looks pretty straight. It still has that sulfur smell. Can you tell the age of a hat by the smell? Does the smell last forever? Another question I have is, can someone please venture a guess at the weave count? I don't think it is alot. 22x22? I can't seem to wrap my brain around what constitutes a full weave. I only have two working brain cells and one of them is busy watching the other one. ;)
    Your attention is now being redirected back to Pat's Outstanding hat. :) 20190418_123721a.jpg 20190418_123840.jpg 20190418_135043.jpg 20190418_123940.jpg 20190418_124136.jpg 20190418_124222.jpg
    20190418_130733.jpg

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  8. hatsRme

hatsRme I'll Lock Up

I'm sure Mr. Black will be delighted you decided to show it here.

9. tropicalbob

tropicalbob My Mail is Forwarded Here

$995.00 for their "entry-level weave?" Ever get the feeling you just walked into the wrong shop?

10. DRB

DRB One Too Many

Here is the Montecristi Special Reserve from Panama Hats Direct that I have been waiting for. The blocking and sweatband are very good. I don't like the liner so I will be removing it (easy). My head is crooked and I cannot wear hats blocked by others and expect them to have the pinch line up with my nose, so I reworked the brim. I put the brim sides up. I like it now. Ordered a few extra leather hat bands and ribbons. I'm not sure how to properly count weaves. If I counted properly, the weave is about 754. The weave is amazingly straight and the backweave is uniform. The hat was $685. Shopping online was fun and the service is among the best. 20190420_150343a.jpg 20190420_122923 a.jpg 20190420_122944.jpg 20190420_133104.jpg 20190420_133104a.jpg 20190420_150646.jpg 20190420_150659 a.jpg 20190420_163817a1.jpg Ribbons Bows and Leather Straps a.jpg Ribbons Bows and Leather Straps b.jpg

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  11. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

Way to go, Dennis! That’s a real beauty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DRB and Zombie_61 like this.
  12. DRB

DRB One Too Many

Brent, Thank you! I really like it. Just in time for Easter Service.

deadlyhandsome, Tukwila and Zombie_61 like this.
  13. DRB

DRB One Too Many

Every day, I develop a better appreciation for this hat. I took the liner out. super easy. Dennis wearing a Montecristi Special Reserve from Panama Hats Direct on April 20 2019.jpg
    Use this one.jpg

14. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

DRB, Zombie_61 and alanfgag like this.
  15. DRB

DRB One Too Many

I got two hats this week. Here's the other.
    Montecristi Fino Fino, Havana, from Panama Hats Direct. Also, a hand painted balsa box. I think I might put a different band on it. Montecristi Fino Fino, Havana (1).JPG Montecristi Fino Fino, Havana (2).JPG Montecristi Fino Fino, Havana (3).JPG Montecristi Fino Fino, Havana (4).jpg PHD Balsa Box April 25 2019 (4).jpg

steur, hatsRme, Zombie_61 and 12 others like this.
  16. My new Dobbs Key West, a planters style with a 4" brim! THAT will keep the sun off me.....and the wife!:rolleyes::) A real nice cream color.....really like the pug.
    20190501_170941.jpg
    20190501_170924.jpg

steur, hatsRme, psklenar and 9 others like this.
  17. Bill Hughes

Bill Hughes One Too Many

I’m with you - love the pug.

M Hatman likes this.
  18. DanO

DanO One of the Regulars

OK, getting ready for the summer, I was looking at a Stetson Hemp Stratoliner in Sand color @ $131 then I ran across an Akubra Balmoral Hemp for $58 USD from hats by the hundred so went that way. The plan is to replace the "leather" band with a grossgrain ribbon.

19. hatsRme

hatsRme I'll Lock Up

Zombie_61 and drmaxtejeda like this.
  20. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

It took a while, but I found it!

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Zombie_61 likes this.