Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I know you’ve had Mike at NW block Panama hats for you, but have you ever bought a hat body from him? If someone, let’s call him Sam, wanted a nicely shaped medium or slightly higher grade Panama hat where should I...I mean Sam go? Not all of us have access to spectacular hat bodies bought at the source or the discretionary income to call Brent Black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Check with Mike (and Art at VS) to see if they have any grade 10-12 grade Cuenca hats/hat bodies on hand.

You recently got a nice basic Cuenca hat. A true grade 10 or 12 hat would be more of a dress hat to wear out on the town or to a garden party, friendly BBQ, etc., when it's not super hot out.

Remember, a tightly woven hat does not breath as well as a looser weave.... or, my favorite, the ventilated or semi-calado weave hat.

I prefer a wider brim, but grabbed this relatively inexpensive semi-calado when I saw it on a back room shelf at Ortega during our last trip to Ecuador in Dec 2018/Jan 2019. It's about a grade 3 or 4 at best and was relatively cheap, but a breeze blows through it like A/C on your head on hot days. The brim is not finished with a weave, either, as this one has a real basic underwelt to finish off the brim. The hat wasn't finished with a crown ribbon either, so we quickly picked out a navy pug to throw on it. I think it was around $45. Take note, however, the only safe way to ship is through DHL and that runs $40 for one hat....

Seriously, check with Art and Mike to see what they have. I know they can order stuff, too... my goal has been to find weavers I can order from in Cuenca but I have not been as successful as we want. Last I spoke with Mike, he has a place to order from and - I think - both Art and Mike have put in orders together.

i-bQLrSp3-L.jpg

i-kXM34TP-XL.jpg

i-n5nHPr7-L.jpg

Bill Hughes

I meant to include Tom Gomez in my last post. Do check with him as well!
So glad you mentioned him as well. I’ve been watching him for a while and have been on the fence. With Art retiring I’ve been checking out new sources for next year and beyond. Vic aka @Gunloader55 recently commissioned a nice Panama from Tom Gomez. It looks very promising.

Tukwila

So glad you mentioned him as well. I’ve been watching him for a while and have been on the fence. With Art retiring I’ve been checking out new sources for next year and beyond. Vic aka @Gunloader55 recently commissioned a nice Panama from Tom Gomez. It looks very promising.
Tom may also have access to Brent Black hat bodies.... doesn't hurt to ask.

Reactions: DRB

jonbuilder

After 3 weeks of exchanging emails with Andrea of Modesto Hats I purchased a 35 -36 weave bad body finished to an 11 cm crown and 7 cm brim Andrea uses the term ironed to 23 inches circumference. Once I receive the hat it goes to Art for a teardrop block sweat and ribbon. There is no discount when ordering a hat unblocked and without sweat and ribbon. I was told these services are provided free when buying a hat. Pictures the prior to ironing and finishing the brim. Andrea was precise with all communications. I am the one who got sloppy and extended the process. I told about 3 to 5 days to finish the hat and 3 days delivery through DHL. The hat was $800 plus $40 shipping. I fell a deal; will know best when I receive the hat. I promised Andrea I will do full a review of Modesto Hats. Maybe Art will chime in? View attachment 147019 View attachment 147020 View attachment 147021 View attachment 147022

I recently received two Montecristi hats from Brent Black. One being a hat body I purchased from Modesto Hats in Ecuador.

Brent does not generally block other vendors hat bodies if I purchased a hat body from him He suggested a body that been in his inventory of ten years block by “the second best weaver at the time” The weaver is no longer producing hats of the same quality. So I agree to purchase a finish hat from his hat body at a discount. The body has a color irregularity call it a flaw or character. Brent called the spot a flaw I see it as character. Bottom line he sold me the hat that otherwise would have been north of $5,000 for $1,750

Here the ten year old body I purchased from Brent finished

IMG_0233.JPG
IMG_0234.JPG
IMG_0235.JPG
IMG_0236.JPG
IMG_0237.JPG
IMG_0238.JPG

Now the Modesto Hat finished total cost including blocking and shipping $1,150

IMG_0239.JPG
IMG_0240.JPG
IMG_0242.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0243.JPG
    IMG_0243.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 333

johnnycanuck

I recently received two Montecristi hats from Brent Black. One being a hat body I purchased from Modesto Hats in Ecuador.

Brent does not generally block other vendors hat bodies if I purchased a hat body from him He suggested a body that been in his inventory of ten years block by “the second best weaver at the time” The weaver is no longer producing hats of the same quality. So I agree to purchase a finish hat from his hat body at a discount. The body has a color irregularity call it a flaw or character. Brent called the spot a flaw I see it as character. Bottom line he sold me the hat that otherwise would have been north of $5,000 for $1,750

Here the ten year old body I purchased from Brent finished

View attachment 159740 View attachment 159749 View attachment 159750 View attachment 159755 View attachment 159752 View attachment 159753

Now the Modesto Hat finished total cost including blocking and shipping $1,150

View attachment 159756 View attachment 159757 View attachment 159758
Great looking hats. Quick question for you. The pin, is it gold? Metal? Plastic?
Johnny
Wear your hats in good health.

Tukwila

I found this Goodfellow & Co panama hat at Target. Despite being from China, it has a good sturdiness to it that I found acceptable. I was surprised to actually find a decent quality panama hat in a store like Target:
OTETOce.jpg
Can you take a picture of the inside, including the tags? The weave is noticeably different from any hand woven Panama hat I've seen. Could be stiff from shellac or similar.

The Jackal

One of the Regulars
Can you take a picture of the inside, including the tags? The weave is noticeably different from any hand woven Panama hat I've seen. Could be stiff from shellac or similar.
The ones I've seen from target say 100% paper. That's all I recall of them

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ