Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

Kubatu

A-List Customer
Can you provide photos?

Here you go:

O14NaOH.jpg

VwLHMEc.jpg

vJ4Uiy8.jpg

zHefRw8.jpg

j4BX2nP.jpg

Things to note: The tag states it is made out of toquilla straw, as well as being made in Equador. The hat size is only "XL". The seller provided measurements which seem to match up with what I could wear, but I'm not sure if it's a mark against a hat brand if they don't provide numerical sizing.

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Could anyone tell me what to expect quality-wise from a K. Dorfzaun hat? I found one NWT on a reselling site for $30, and that seems like an affordable price. It is made in Ecuador, but I assume it isn't the finest material around. I would like to try out a panama hat, but I'm a full time student with limited means, and many of the options are a bit too much for my first hat. Thank you!
Plus shipping?

Here you go:

O14NaOH.jpg

VwLHMEc.jpg

vJ4Uiy8.jpg

zHefRw8.jpg

j4BX2nP.jpg

Things to note: The tag states it is made out of toquilla straw, as well as being made in Equador. The hat size is only "XL". The seller provided measurements which seem to match up with what I could wear, but I'm not sure if it's a mark against a hat brand if they don't provide numerical sizing.

$30 sounds like a good price to me, as long as shipping isn’t much. It isn’t a fine weave, and it wouldn’t make a good dress hat, but it will give you a lot of protection from the sun...that’s a whole lot of brim! Maybe @Tukwila can share his insights.

Tukwila

$30 sounds like a good price to me, as long as shipping isn’t much. It isn’t a fine weave, and it wouldn’t make a good dress hat, but it will give you a lot of protection from the sun...that’s a whole lot of brim! Maybe @Tukwila can share his insights.
I was thinking the same. The hat is worth $30... but I wouldn't pay too much shipping on top of the $30.

@deadlyhandsome

Thank you both for the responses! Shipping is included with the price, and the seller has the option to make offers open, so I might look into that as well.

You’re not going to go wrong at that price as long as you like the style and proportions. These lower grade Panama hats are nice in that they breath well and are reasonably cool wearing, you also don’t feel bad putting them through the ringer. As to the sizing, the use of small, medium, large, etc. rather than actual hat sizes is not always an indictment against the hat. There usage does often correlate with lower quality hats, but for this style/weave and at that price it wouldn’t concern me at all.

I do not believe I posted this here:eek: a Panama Fedora.....I am looking forward to wearing it soon!!!! Pictures tell the story.....except about the pug...it came with a nice enough black one BUT.........I picked one of my navy blue with print, from the early 50's...and I think this looks better! {I ran into a deal on several hat pugs from the 40's and 50's (that came with a couple of hats from that period too!!).....and BOY, you CAN tell the difference!!! Men back then liked to change out pugs too, though I suppose in all practicality they would need changing as they get sweated up and soiled easily.} Nice wide brown leather sweat (seems like a latigo leather) with sweat guard oilskin behind (real oilskin so it did not dry out the leather)!!! And the finish work is unreal...just look at that woven brim edge (NO stitching or reeding)!!! This is about my nicest Panama and in a 7 1/2 LO too!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D
IMG_20200423_144854.jpg
IMG_20200423_144903.jpg
IMG_20200423_144910.jpg
IMG_20200423_145009.jpg
IMG_20200423_145312.jpg
IMG_20200423_145325.jpg

Last edited:

Tukwila

I do not believe I posted this here:eek:.....I am looking to wear it soon!!!! Pictures tell the story.....except about the pug...it came with a nice enough black one BUT.........I picked one of my navy blue with print, from the early 50's...and I think this looks better! {I ran into a deal on several hat pugs from the 40's and 50's (that came with a couple of hats from that period too!!).....and BOY, you CAN tell the difference!!! Men back then liked to change out pugs too, though I suppose in all practicality they would need changing as they get sweated up and soiled easily.} Nice wide brown leather sweat (seems like a latigo leather) with sweat guard oilskin behind (real oilskin so it did not dry out the leather)!!! And the finish work is unreal...just look at that woven brim edge (NO stitching or reeding)!!! This is about my nicest Panama and in a 7 1/2 LO too!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D
View attachment 230154 View attachment 230155 View attachment 230156 View attachment 230157 View attachment 230158 View attachment 230159
Very nice! I don't recall ever seeing a bad, or even mediocre, Ecuadorian Supernatural.

Very nice! I don't recall ever seeing a bad, or even mediocre, Ecuadorian Supernatural.
Well, this one fit the bill for me!!! It is in perfect shape and has a great presence!!
I have one of their skimmers too.....it is a later one (60's I think)...but really nice as well!!!
That one I did post in the boater thread............

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
That is an amazing pugg pattern. Let e know if you have another like that!

I do not believe I posted this here:eek: a Panama Fedora.....I am looking forward to wearing it soon!!!! Pictures tell the story.....except about the pug...it came with a nice enough black one BUT.........I picked one of my navy blue with print, from the early 50's...and I think this looks better! {I ran into a deal on several hat pugs from the 40's and 50's (that came with a couple of hats from that period too!!).....and BOY, you CAN tell the difference!!! Men back then liked to change out pugs too, though I suppose in all practicality they would need changing as they get sweated up and soiled easily.} Nice wide brown leather sweat (seems like a latigo leather) with sweat guard oilskin behind (real oilskin so it did not dry out the leather)!!! And the finish work is unreal...just look at that woven brim edge (NO stitching or reeding)!!! This is about my nicest Panama and in a 7 1/2 LO too!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D
View attachment 230154 View attachment 230155 View attachment 230156 View attachment 230157 View attachment 230158 View attachment 230159

georgie girl

One of the Regulars
Okay, picked up a pug to replace the black grosgrain on my panama so I will post it here now. It was a 'bay pick up and couldn't really be too vintage since Ole's opened in 1977, but certainly worth my $25+ shipping. A couple of spots of darker straw on one of the sides but all and all a pretty consistent natural color and weave, a leather sweatband, and a nice back-woven brim. I like the character of the slight up -curl on the brim. Now all I need is a little more sun and a bit more relaxing of the areas while doing the whole social distancing routine.

View attachment 230525 View attachment 230526 View attachment 230527 View attachment 230528 View attachment 230529 panama6.jpg

Attachments

• Panama.jpg
    Panama.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 485
  • Panama1.jpg
    Panama1.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 447
  • panama2.jpg
    panama2.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 546
  • panama3.jpg
    panama3.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 531
  • panama5.jpg
    panama5.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 595
Last edited:

seewhatididther

New in Town
Guys can I get a classic Panama fedora recommendation? I’d say under $300, under $200 Is even better, natural color. What would you get?
I’ve read this thread and others and it’s quite overwhelming - lots of nuance and artistry, vintage hats popping up only every so often, etc. I’m currently leaning toward the Stetson center dent, or ordering from Panama hats direct...
Thanks for any and all advice! If this should be its own thread, please delete (no hard feelings)

Bill Hughes

Guys can I get a classic Panama fedora recommendation? I’d say under $300, under $200 Is even better, natural color. What would you get?
I’ve read this thread and others and it’s quite overwhelming - lots of nuance and artistry, vintage hats popping up only every so often, etc. I’m currently leaning toward the Stetson center dent, or ordering from Panama hats direct...
Thanks for any and all advice! If this should be its own thread, please delete (no hard feelings)
I agree with Brent aka @deadlyhandsome. Go with a custom from Northwest. Or hold out for a good vintage.

JC Montecristi Hat

New in Town
Hi, with $300 you can buy a 25 grades Montecrisiti body, you would really pay a little less than $300. I think it is the best option and that the finishes are made by a hatter from your country.

For that price you can also buy a Cuenca with a finer weave.

Although Cuenca sellers are generally more wholesale and one cannot be guided by the grades because wpi vary from seller to seller, and being more wholesale they are not usually very selective with the quality of weave, because of the prices they pay. It's better to have someone or travel to examine the hat.

The biggest problem I have with the foreign finished hats is the blocking. At your price range, even at the low end of it, I’d go with a Northwest.

https://www.northwesthats.com/
I have one on order now at Northwest. I checked out the market and the offering from NWestHats seemed to offer the best bang for my dollar....under $200

tropicalbob

I'd go with the advice you've been offered above about Northwest Hats. You'd be getting exactly what you want at a decent price from a reliable, well-known craftsman, and it will be guaranteed to fit and will have a leather sweatband. I don't see how you can do better than that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana