Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

1930artdeco

Practically Family
Well I finally bout a real Panama! I ordered it from Optimo and they lived up to their reputation! I still can’t believe I had to put a deposit down on a hat. But it absolutely gorgeous! I will be buried in this hat. The weave is really fine and it fits flawlessly.

mike

Attachments

• 55B9B41E-F30D-45A0-9FFF-940C532CF7A2.jpeg
    55B9B41E-F30D-45A0-9FFF-940C532CF7A2.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 353
  • 598F792D-3511-4D79-9CEF-283481AC6D7E.jpeg
    598F792D-3511-4D79-9CEF-283481AC6D7E.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 392

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well I finally bout a real Panama! I ordered it from Optimo and they lived up to their reputation! I still can’t believe I had to put a deposit down on a hat. But it absolutely gorgeous! I will be buried in this hat. The weave is really fine and it fits flawlessly.

mike
Very nice. Optimo does a great job with the straw bodies from Ecuador.

new2hats

A-List Customer
It's been a while since I've been on this thread. I used to buy from Panamabob back in the day. His prices were very fair and I never had trouble with hats being shipped from him. But he has since disappeared (anyone heard from him since?).

But I am wondering where to go now, for no nonsense, fair priced hats?

Bill Hughes

mike
Why yes you did and you started at the top end of the scale. Congratulations.

crawlinkingsnake

A-List Customer
Actually went to the closet few weeks ago to pull out some summer weight straws, and pack up some fall/winter weights. But weather has been so inconsistent up and down, almost hot to out right cold, kinda dry to really wet, I've yet to get totally away from my fur felts. Go figure...... :(

Visigoth

A-List Customer
I've never reviewed a hat here, but I just bought my first Panama, and I love it. Moreover, the customer service was far above and beyond what I expected, given that it cost only 55 euro. Of course, it's not a high-end hat for this price, but it's handwoven in Ecuador from toquilla palm straw; the finish is good; and, most importantly for me, the shape is close to what I look for in a vintage hat: a tall crown, with very little taper (in fact, negative taper when viewed from the front), and a wide brim. I asked them specifically whether they had a hat with these specifications, and they sent me photos of the three they had in stock so that I could choose. Again: amazing service. They also sent me an extra ribbon for free, in brown, as I wasn't sure I liked the black. The ribbon's serviceable, but I'm having it replaced with a vintage ribbon as we speak. Apparently the hat can be rolled, but I don't feel like trying that out on a new lid.

I've attached a couple of photos. The shape is pretty much as it came; except that I reshaped the brim, using steam.

It's from a London company called Equal Earth, and I purchased it through Amazon; you can also go straight to their website. Full disclosure: I have no connection to these guys, and paid full price. But I spent some time searching for an entry-level Panama, and this was a more elegant shape than I found elsewhere, even at much higher prices. And I figure this kind of service ought to be rewarded by an introduction to the Fedora Lounge.
20200518-4.jpg
20200520-2.jpg

Last edited:

Visigoth

A-List Customer
I don't know whether it's kosher to link to their site here. Doesn't really matter: just do a Google search on "Equal Earth Panama hats". They also have a Montecristi for 200 pounds—also in this natural color—and if I get addicted to this genre, I may well buy it. The hat I bought comes in white as well (not my thing), and a coffee brown, which I would have liked, but it was out of stock.

I've never reviewed a hat here, but I just bought my first Panama, and I love it. Moreover, the customer service was far above and beyond what I expected, given that it cost only 55 euro. Of course, it's not a high-end hat for this price, but it's handwoven in Ecuador; the finish is good; and, most importantly for me, the shape is close to what I look for in a vintage hat: a tall crown, with very little taper (in fact, negative taper when viewed from the front), and a wide brim. I asked them specifically whether they had a hat with these specifications, and they sent me photos of the three they had in stock so that I could choose. Again: amazing service. They also sent me an extra ribbon for free, in brown, as I wasn't sure I liked the black. The ribbon's serviceable, but I'm having it replace with a vintage ribbon as we speak. Apparently the hat can be rolled, but I don't feel like trying that out on a new lid.

I've attached a couple of photos. The shape is pretty much as it came; except that I reshaped the brim, using steam.

It's from a London company called Equal Earth, and I purchased it through Amazon; you can also go straight to their website. Full disclosure: I have no connection to these guys, and paid full price. But I spent some time searching for an entry-level Panama, and this was a more elegant shape than I found elsewhere, even at much higher prices. And I figure this kind of service ought to be rewarded by an introduction to the Fedora Lounge.
View attachment 237691 View attachment 237692

Love the shape. I’m too hard on Panama hats to wear the really nice ones. Thanks for the review...I’m going to look at them now.

tropicalbob

Hi, Visigoth. Nice find, and good for you that you could find one in your size. Checking out their site I see that they're sold out of most sizes, which often happens to vendors trying to sell Panamas as there are only so many decent straw bodies to go around. I'd avoid rolling it, though, as I've never seen one that had been rolled that didn't look a bit wonky afterwards. Cheers.

Hi, Visigoth. Nice find, and good for you that you could find one in your size. Checking out their site I see that they're sold out of most sizes, which often happens to vendors trying to sell Panamas as there are only so many decent straw bodies to go around. I'd avoid rolling it, though, as I've never seen one that had been rolled that didn't look a bit wonky afterwards. Cheers.

They were out of my size in most styles too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk