Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

Feliks G.

New in Town
More photos, including the interior and sweatband, are needed. We also need to know the size as the can have a large impact on price.

EB1605B3-AC81-4CBD-B313-7A1A211A78F3.jpeg
There are NO markings on the inside or on the sweatband, but I have not checked underneath the sweatband. It fits a size 7.

View attachment 238125
There are NO markings on the inside or on the sweatband, but I have not checked underneath the sweatband. It fits a size 7.

What makes you think it’s “1940 ish?” Size 7 isn’t the “worst” size, but generally speaking it’s not one of the sizes that bring the most. A Panama hat of unknown provenance might still be desirable depending on other factors, including the density of the weaving. A close up of the weave along with a measuring device superimposed would be helpful.

I buy a few Panama hats each year (I don’t buy fine weaves as I’m hard on straw hats), and I can often find genuine Panama hats in the $25 to $60 range. I’m not saying that’s what yours is worth, but don’t be surprised if the market doesn’t value it that highly. Let’s see the weave!

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Well, I'm having fun. I cannibalized an old Borsalino Peluche (because I don't live north of the Arctic circle, and never have reason to wear a thick furry fedora); the ribbon's complex and gorgeous, with a three-ring bow, so I've transferred it to the Panama. Pictures to follow. Question, though: is there a hard and fast rule about bow placement? Does it have to be centred precisely between the front and rear of the hat? I've rotated the ribbon slightly, so that it sits a centimetre or two closer to the rear (which just seemed to look right, but now I'm wondering whether I've committed some sort of heresy).

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, I'm having fun. I cannibalized an old Borsalino Peluche (because I don't live north of the Arctic circle, and never have reason to wear a thick furry fedora); the ribbon's complex and gorgeous, with a three-ring bow, so I've transferred it to the Panama. Pictures to follow. Question, though: is there a hard and fast rule about bow placement? Does it have to be centered precisely between the front and rear of the hat? I've rotated the ribbon slightly, so that it sits a centimetre or two closer to the rear (which just seemed to look right, but now I'm wondering whether I've committed some sort of heresy).
IMO, it's perfectly fine to locate the bow a little further back. I've seen it with both custom and vintage hats.

Liddleman

Familiar Face
Hi, Visigoth. Nice find, and good for you that you could find one in your size. Checking out their site I see that they're sold out of most sizes, which often happens to vendors trying to sell Panamas as there are only so many decent straw bodies to go around. I'd avoid rolling it, though, as I've never seen one that had been rolled that didn't look a bit wonky afterwards. Cheers.
Don't know whether it's your size but one popped up on Ebay UK this morning buy it now
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-...217121?hash=item2895298161:g:qSYAAOSw5zte00yC
s-l500.jpg

Feliks G.

New in Town
9821E19B-FD93-4836-BAE1-418B01A5A792.jpeg
What makes you think it’s “1940 ish?” Size 7 isn’t the “worst” size, but generally speaking it’s not one of the sizes that bring the most. A Panama hat of unknown provenance might still be desirable depending on other factors, including the density of the weaving. A close up of the weave along with a measuring device superimposed would be helpful.

I buy a few Panama hats each year (I don’t buy fine weaves as I’m hard on straw hats), and I can often find genuine Panama hats in the $25 to $60 range. I’m not saying that’s what yours is worth, but don’t be surprised if the market doesn’t value it that highly. Let’s see the weave!

Sorry for the wait, I was visiting family at the time and didn’t have any photos of the weave, I’ve got the hat now and I took a photo.

It may be hard to see but each weave is around 1/12ths of an inch. On a closer look, it may be a Mexican made hat from later on. I originally thought it was from earlier because I saw an ad that had one very similar from the 30s, I haven’t payed much attention to it and I’ve had it for a long time before I knew a lot of things I do now.

Guardian Enzo

One of the Regulars
Good morning, All. Just wondering if anyone has any insights on the current Mayser Panamas - specifically the Albenga. Overall build quality, fit, styling, whatever you got. Looking to bring in a new Panama and the Albenga is available online here in Japan - looks like a nice, very classic fedora style but there's no substitute for first-hand experience. Thanks!

earl

A-List Customer
Quite attractive. Have yet to wear my straw this year due to covid. That is, as I'm retired now, about the only place I go is to grocery stores where I studiously wear my mask and protective eyewear. Whatever I put on my head will be offset by the fashion challenge on my face and detract from the look. So I think, why bother?:(

The Shoe

One Too Many
Okay, I thought it would be worthwhile sharing my experience with a certain hat shop. I mentioned on another thread that I was thinking of canceling my order due to appalling customer service.

I’ve seen panamahatmall.com mentioned on forums with no problems before. It should also be mentioned that were it not for coronavirus, my transaction would likely have gone smoothly and my wife and I would be enjoying our new hats.

Anyhow, here’s the timeline.

Very early March: I order 4 Panamas - 2 each for my wife & I. Very excited about my first Panama.

March 12: shipment details - shipped on March 11

March 28: As there has been no change in the shipping tracking for two weeks, I send an email , stating I realise there may be delays due to coronavirus but any information they could give me would still be great.

March 30: I’m told to remember that my order could take from 20 to 25 days to deliver (slightly longer than what the website states) but that my hats are on their way.

April 9: I’ve discovered that postage has been stopped between Ecuador and Japan. I send another email saying as much and that the tracking still says en route but that the Japanese post office says the hats are still in Ecuador. I say that any more information that they can give me would be appreciated.

April 13: They tell me not to worry and that they will open a claim against the post office but to please remember it usually takes 20 to 25 days and because of Covid-19 it could take 10 to 15 days more. They also say that the post office usually responds to their claims in 2 to 3 weeks.

May 15: over a month passes with no information so I send another email. I tell them again that according to the Japanese post office website, mail has been stopped between the two countries and that I understand the problems but that the lack of communication from them is disturbing. I say that after they promised to open a claim against the post office I would’ve expected some kind of communication.

May 18: I receive an email from Panamahatmall addressed the Alexandre. It apologises for the inconvenience with the order and says they’re in the process of shipping my hat again. They say how they’re embarrassed about the events and want to compensate and resolve the problem as soon as possible.

May 18: I send an email back saying that since my name is not Alexandre and I did not order one hat, but four, I don’t think that email was meant for me. I ask them before promising to send my hats again to please confirm with the post office as to whether that is actually possible, stating again that as far as I can tell from the Japanese post office website all mail is still suspended. Again I state that I understand that we are in difficult times and that all I ask is that they keep me informed.

May 26: it’s eight days since I sent them the email. Finally I get an email apologising for that and saying that they had problems with my order and they would be able to send my hats via FedEx if I would pay an extra €19.99. The hats would be with me in 6 to 8 days.

May 27: I told them that yes I would be willing to pay the extra, but because of all of the mixups I would appreciate if they check the contents again to ensure that I was actually getting what I ordered. I also asked them to tell me how I should go about paying the extra.

May 27: Lo and behold, a quick response when I agreed to pay more money. They send me a link to the payment page.

May 28: I’m getting a bit testy now. I send an email explaining how frustrating this has been. It was odd that they asked for Euro when all of our dealings so far had been in yen. But that’s not a big deal. €19.99 is about ¥2360. The link they sent me asked for ¥236. I ask them if they would be happy for me to pay only about €2 and ask if I did so if I would get my hats. I say that I would pay the ¥236 if I was confident that I would get my hats, but that I suspected it would only cause further delays. I also state that I was aware that some of the problems have been unavoidable due to the coronavirus but things like a lack of communication, emails sent to the wrong person and inaccurate payment details are a problem on their side and that they need to double or triple check things before they send them out to supposedly valued customers. I also ask for a prompt response.

June 1: No response has been forthcoming so I send another email. I say that it’s been almost three months since I ordered my hats and that they’re still in Ecuador. I reiterate that it’s been frustrating. I ask them to cancel my order and refund the money to my credit card and to confirm the cancellation as soon as possible.

It’s now June 4. I’ve had no response so I’m taking some time off work tomorrow to communicate with the bank to try to sort out a chargeback on my credit card. The chargeback system is little known in Japan and it’s very difficult to get information about how to go about it. Wish me luck.

Last edited:

The Shoe

One Too Many
Ganbatte. That's just brutal customer service.
どうも!
Well, I’m trying, but it’s impossible to get through. I tried the Osaka and Tokyo numbers on the back of my credit card, but they don’t even put you on hold - there’s just a computerised message telling you that they are operating with low staff on reduced hours and the lines are chocka so please call back later (to listen to the same message).
We called the local branch - they don’t deal with that stuff, but they gave me another phone number where I can listen to the same message.
We called the 消費生活センター (consumers’ affairs centre) and are waiting for them to get back to us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112