Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

HungaryTom

One Too Many
RBH,

Thanks.
I think these Montecristi are real straw crowns. The Indian Summer we have right now for a few days is an excellent opportunity to wear them.
I am just really sorry that those nice hats are forged all the way around - at least Panama Hatworks of Montecristi is a safe source for getting the fine genuine ones at prices one can afford if really wants.

Regards

Tom

deelovely

Practically Family
I got my Panama beach hat from Panama Bob today. I know ya'll have been talking about how it's time to put the straws away for the season but since I live in Florida, I can pretty much wear mine year round!:D

PA120012.jpg

PA120014.jpg

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Looking great

Deelovely,

This is what I like to see: ladies in Panama hats!

Simply beautiful.;)

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Regards:

Tom

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Your looking good Dee, I have one very close to that. Robert has some great hats and deals the competition can not compete with. Here in Texas I like you can wear straw just about year round. Enjoy

deelovely said:
I got my Panama beach hat from Panama Bob today. I know ya'll have been talking about how it's time to put the straws away for the season but since I live in Florida, I can pretty much wear mine year round!:D

PA120012.jpg

PA120014.jpg

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Panamabob said:
It is a center dent Cuenca Brisa, if memory serves correctly.
Thats it! And (Hopefully this does'nt step on any toes) It is alot nicer hat than the other one she got off ebay from another panama hat company. She wants an optimo now!:eusa_doh:

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Keep it in the family

indycop said:
Thats it! And (Hopefully this does'nt step on any toes) It is alot nicer hat than the other one she got off ebay from another panama hat company. She wants an optimo now!:eusa_doh:

Indy,

Nevermind, you made a good purchase. And this helps also to get a better understanding for your own Panama hat obsession in the family.;)

Regards:

Tom

epr25

Practically Family
I am so sure that this has been covered but I can not find the info. My husband just purchased a panama and the interior band is warping and is almost to the point of cracking if bent. I was going to try to put luxoil on it, which is what I have successfully used on many a pair of vintage shoes. But we were concerned about this somehow affecting the staw maybe by discoloring? So any advise on that would be very appreciated.

Also has anyone ever attempted stretching a straw hat? And reshaping? I have been very successful at reshaping his fedoras with steam.

Thanks for the help!

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Here I go again...

I've posted these in the "New Hat Purchases Here" (or the like) thread recently but glad to see a Panama specific thread with some different faces involved so here's to over-doin' it!

***BTW: I'm really interested in finding out some idea of age of the Wormser, based on the high thread count and the $2.95 original price I think it's a real oldie. Ideas?...

DSC_0027.jpg

Vintage "Supernatural" Ecuadorian Panama Hat Company

DSC_0056.jpg

Vintage Wormser Panama Hat

DSC_0042.jpg

More pix of Wormser Panama here:
http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii79/harpplayergene/WormserPanama/

Reactions: DRB

HungaryTom

One Too Many
HungaryTom did also run the Batsakes voodoo down

The English Optimo as it is blocked by Gus Miller, the Spartan in Cincinatti.
WPSI: 32*32/inch. 15 vueltas counted, including the rosetta - strange because even with much higher wpsi hats you don't get much more vueltas.
Sorry the pictures were not taken by a professional photographer-the hat has the real fine texture and even weave - vampire skin grade.
IMG_2396.jpg

another
IMG_2397.jpg

***​
BTW the hat is not mine - it went to Missus Hungary Tom.
It helps to maintain the family peace at home, creates more empathy for my MC fino colletor bug.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Thank you, Panama Bob and Art!

I just got my new Panama from Panama Bob, by way of Art. I didn't realize I'd be getting some of Art's handiwork in the process so I'm doubly delighted.
The first shot is my old beater next to its new shelfmate. The old guy has been around for five years, and has had its share of abuse. On its poor crown I learned not to grab it by the pinch, as is obvious. It's as coarse as its partner is fine, but I it will always have a special place in my heart.
Now, my new hat! Ah, what a beauty! I stuck the little blue jay feather that had been on the old one in its ribbon. I have one question from my fellow loungers: Do you think wider ribbon would be desirable? It's exquisite as it is, but the wider ribbon I've seen on a number of other hats makes me wonder.
NewPanama001cropped.jpg

And here's moi meme taking the basic Fedora Lounge self portrait. Happy smile.
NewPanama004cropped.jpg

Reactions: DRB

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Great hat Dherman!

Thanks for sharing the pictures.
I think the hat is good as it is.
If you want to decide whether a thick ribbon looks good I recommend to get a third one with a thick ribbon:D .

Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto