Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Great hat

I saw this on the e-bay - I immediately recommended its purchasing to a friend from the lounge.

You won a finely woven vintage Optimo style hat.

I'm sure Optimo will block it in a way that it will fit.

Once it is ready and arrives to you please post your photos with the reborn hat.

Higher quality pictures will show better how fine the hat is.

However its first close-up photo seems to be promising - if you compare the size of the knots to the sewing of the hatband.

A nice Montercristi fino (fingers crossed).

Tom

RBH

Bartender
GWD said:
I'm sure you guys saw this on ebay, I'm sending to directly to Optimo for cleaning and blocking.

I don't know much about Panamas but judging by the pictures it seems to be of fairly good quality.

Please comment.
Sweet !!, I have a Supernatural with a thin ribbon and a c-crown. Its a great hat.

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Great still life!

Spectatorshoes001.jpg

Which one looks better - the spectators or the panama hat? [huh]
:eusa_clap

Reactions: DRB

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks Gents!!

:eusa_clap Thanks for the supportive comments

Also, can I just say what a GREAT LID that SUPERNATURAL is!! The shaping and that aged patina...wow! It just oozes vintage style!!!:D

Reactions: DRB

Kevin Popejoy

One of the Regulars
Aviator said:
Long time listener, first time caller....;)

I have a couple of Panama hats from Montecristi...this one is the nicer of the two with a tear drop crown. I need to fix it, as one side has a nice roll as it snaps down in front, but the other side buckles up a bit before it goes down in front (if that makes sense). The young man who was fitting it to my head did not speak English, (oh well). I'm not exactly sure how to fix it, perhaps stretch it and iron it. And I would like to make a new ribbon for it (I haven't been able to find a tutorial on how to make one).

Regarding the ribbon making tutorial, here's a web page that should give you all you need:

http://dalexs.whitvani.net/hat/hatpage.html

Cheers, Kevin

GWD

One Too Many
The Supernatural Arrived Yesterday

I messed around with it a bit and fixed the dent in the crown and used my hat stretcher to bring it back to a 7 1/8. My questions to you guys are. Do I still send it to Optimo for a Cleaning and Blocking? If I do how much cleaner will it be? Based on the photos, what grade would you give it?

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Thanks!!

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
It is an extremely nice looking hat. The Supernatural hats that I've seen were all Cuenca hats. If you get a photo inside the crown one can tell right away if it is a Montecristi or Cuenca.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
When it is nighttime, can you take a photo of the inner crown with the hat up to a lightbulb, no flash? Alternatively, just count the number of concentric circles you see inside the crown from around the inside to the outside. Like these photos:
TypicalCuencaLlano.JPG

SANY0087.JPG

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Okay, that solves the mystery. If it was a Montecristi, I'd expect it to have 10-11-12 vueltas. It is a Cuenca. See, the Cuencas are very, very nice as you go up the quality ladder...heck, the lower ones are nice, too.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Between 400-450 weaves per square inch. Fine, fine hat. I'd say grade 14-16 Cuenca of 20. If you get much finer in Cuenca, you really have a hat that they've purchased on the coast in Montecristi...and the vueltas in the crown don't lie, but the hat sellers do.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Here's my new PanamaBob hat...in the "Gotita" style!
newpanama2copy.jpg
[/IMG]
...I am loving it!...had it on all night...Now then...what is the "Gotita" style anyway?...It looks like a "plantation" style...I am really loving the big brim!:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo