Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Here's an oldie I just picked up for peanuts.
Optimo Montecristi from Marshal Field & Company, size 7 1/4.
"Genuine Montecristi".

It's a little salty, with a small amount of damage.
I've been looking out for a display hat, thinking I'd find an unwearable one
but this one can be worn just fine. Strong smell of sulphur...

Definitely "vintage" but just how vintage, is difficult for me to say, not knowing much more than a basic history of Marshal Field & Company.
It does have, what looks like a price, of $42.50 penciled inside the crown, which seems like a lot of money... way back when(?)

The sweatband doesn't look like a really, really old one and is in excellent condition. Anyone care to hazard a guess as to age, taking into account any known company history, the label style and a price of $42.50..?
Looking at the label, could be '50s, or even later, was hoping it was older, but I really don't know-

Mont_front.jpg

Mont_side.jpg

Mont_top.jpg

Mont_top_close.jpg

Mont_in.jpg

Mont_in_sun.jpg

Mont_thru.jpg

Mont_label.jpg

Mont_angle.jpg

Now... how to clean it a little...?

B
T

Reactions: DRB
BT, I don't see a label [huh] . This would be most useful in dating such a hat. I have a very similar British one which is a very recent product. Even has a brown sweatband. It's a style which is very difficult to date.

Any tags/labels under the sweat?

The pebbled grain on the sweatband might be a mark of age. They get smoother as they get newer, in my experience.

bk

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Label... I mean the MF&C on the sweat- nothing else on the sweat.
No other labeling, apart from the 7 1/4.
No tags.
Not a sausage.

Yes, I realize it's a hard one to date.
I guess that's why I'm putting it to the panel (of one).

Thanks for nothing, Kurtz.

B
T

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
BT, Robert may be helpful in running down the cartouche, but my gut tells me this is a '30s panama. There isn't anything concrete I'm going by, but the relationship between crown height and brim width is indicitive of that era, coupled with the fact that Marshall Fields was a very old store ( high end store). Today and the recent past, the normal starting crown height is 4", but this appears to be much taller. For what that's worth.
Start by just wiping it down with clean cold water & see how clean it will come. It may surprise you.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Art Fawcett said:
BT, Robert may be helpful in running down the cartouche, but my gut tells me this is a '30s panama. There isn't anything concrete I'm going by, but the relationship between crown height and brim width is indicitive of that era, coupled with the fact that Marshall Fields was a very old store ( high end store). Today and the recent past, the normal starting crown height is 4", but this appears to be much taller. For what that's worth.
Start by just wiping it down with clean cold water & see how clean it will come. It may surprise you.

Thanks Art.

It looks like a '30s job to me too.
What I neglected to mention is the membrane between the crown and the sweat- it is a clear plastic-y, soft/flexible, rather than hard/stiff material, has yellowed and has a "stippled" texture(I assume a membrane is quite standard on a hat for tropical/warm weather use). The size label is heavy paper, black with white text- the black is the printed portion. The crown measures about 5 1/4" at its highest.
Brim width varies from 2 1/2-2 5/8". Crown is slightly tapered at the side aspect and pretty much parallel from the front.

The membrane and not knowing the history of MF&Co./their logo design, leaves me undecided.

B
T

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
We've got 4 or 5 different crowns going on these brown hats on ebay. Two very similar center dents such as Rmrdaddy has, a pure center dent (AlanC), a center dent rise, and a teardrop/diamond. There are also 3 different weaves, a brisa super, a brisa normal, and a llano. I don't have any of the llano up as of yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy