Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Stetson 1947

4487770517_19c107d135_o.jpg

Reactions: DRB

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I am wondering, is this (from post number 213) the same body/hat as the Brent Black? it is blocked slightly different, obviously, but the weave looks just the same to me? which seems kinda odd, because the Brent Black says it is custom weaved for him, get them while they last?

I can only seem to get my hands on a dozen or so each year. One just arrived two days ago. They're certainly not custom to one person. Believe half of what you read! My opinion.
ACSemicaladoApril52010.jpg

Others:

Asemicaladoapril52010.jpg

semicaladoapril52010.jpg

semicaladoapril520103.jpg

Spots and shadows are due to poor camera technique!

Some cool Colombian hats we're looking at, since Ecuador's drought seems to be wreaking havoc on supplies:

WeavesC0001.jpg

SDC14164.JPG

SDC14165.JPG

SDC14169.JPG

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I got my new hat from PanamaBob today. It is fantastic, and just in time for the hot weather we are getting.

Photo301.jpg

Photo302.jpg

Kkaderly

One of the Regulars
New hat from panamabob

Just got my new Montecristi hat from Robert!!! I opened up the box and "WOW" what a great hat!!! Really a lot nicer than I expected ! I have attached some photos but I took them with my phone so they aren't great but the color is a nice cream and the wpsi looks to be 250-289 ... much better then what I thought I could afford!

I love it! Makes me look like I should be drinking something with a tiny umbrella in it!

Keith K.

Phat.jpg

phat2.jpg

photo.jpg

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Hereward said:
That looks great as it is. Maybe a ribbon that can be taken off according to your mood on any particular day? Just a thought.

Thanks.

After wearing it all day, I was thinking along those lines. I have some ribbon that I will see if I can work out a system that is not attached, but just slipped on.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Panama...

I just got this Panama, called "The New Hampton" from Worth & Worth. I already own a couple of straws from them--An optimo and a Diamante. Will post pics after this--and I call them my "quasi-Montecristi".
Quasi because even though they are not Montecristi (and aren't sold as such by them) they are extremely fine woven. Tight and even amazing hats. Take a look at my newest.

DSC04758.jpg

DSC04759.jpg

DSC04767.jpg

Weave with a super lens for closeups.
DSC04764.jpg

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Diamante and Optimo...

These are the other two I mentioned in the post above. Pictures are from the pro. shoot I had taken of my hats a while back. Same weave quality as the previous.

Diamante.

IMG_9611.jpg

IMG_9612.jpg

Optimo.

IMG_9613.jpg

chippy

New in Town
Kkaderly said:
Just got my new Montecristi hat from Robert!!! I opened up the box and "WOW" what a great hat!!! Really a lot nicer than I expected ! I have attached some photos but I took them with my phone so they aren't great but the color is a nice cream and the wpsi looks to be 250-289 ... much better then what I thought I could afford!

I love it! Makes me look like I should be drinking something with a tiny umbrella in it!

Keith K.

Phat.jpg

Congrats on your new panama Keith (approx 16 x16 wpi?)...may i ask what grade/model this hat is e.g. Medium Fino, Fino, extra fino, super fino, blocked in USA or Ecuador ..etc :)

cheers, {chink of glasses, with an umbrella} :D

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
This is an example of why I call my Cuenca from Worth & Worth "Quasi Montecristi"

Look at Kkaderly's new Montecristi:
Phat.jpg

Now look at my Cuenca Diamante: Very similar. Virtually identical, I'd say, except for the finishing of the brim's edge of Kkardely's (back woven which is more typical of Montecristi hats. It's worth saying that I just learned that Cuenca ones sometimes are, too) Edit: I just counted the weave on my Cuenca Diamante and New Hampton and it's 16 horizontal x16 Vertical.

IMG_9611.jpg

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Brim finishing...

Montecristi back woven: The Cav edge of straw hats.
Panama-hat-Edge.jpg

Cuenca under welt.
DSC04770.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Cuenca back woven "montecristi style" (Thanks Vic. for illustrating this to me. I didn't know they existed)

Edit: replace the picture for an accurate one. (thanks again, Victor)

backweave002.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112