Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

chippy

New in Town
Kkaderly said:
I think your hat looks great so I wouldn't be disapointed in it!! I think Mr. Robert has been busy as of late ... he is a hard guy to catch ... and I was a little sceptical as you are with just handing over money without knowing exactly what your getting ... but I took a chance and it worked out and I would not hesitate getting another hat from him you just have to be persistant and patient.

Yes I think all of them will get a little "hair" from time to time and that is normal.

thanks Keith,

Robert did PM me with some helpful info, just a bit unfortunate for me he didnt manage to get back to me at the time, but i am happy to get one next time

yeah, if not spending too much money (a $100 or so isnt too much to me, it may be to others) it can be ok to take the gamble, if the amount of money is somewhat more precious then i still think it is perfectly reasonable to have more details on what your purchasing before handing over any money, thread counts arnt the 'be all and end all' (what H Tom is eluding to ^) of what makes the hat nice of course, but it sure as heck is a good place to start when comparing costs ;)

As Robert (and Keith) said, he used to have them up on the site, and may do something in the future, but took it down because the weavers were concerned about keeping to a promise written on a web site

i think Robert said my hat is a Brisas weave , which i assume is identifiable because the pattern is on the diagonal instead of the following the crown and brim around horizontally? if thats the differance i dont mind saying, i think, i like the look of the brisas weave a little better..which would seem odd, because i always happen to like the most expensive things, it has something to do with Murphy's law, or some such thing lol

High Pockets

Practically Family
Come on c'mon c'mon c'mon......waitin' for the Post Office to open.
The crazy mail woman tried to deliver my new Extra Fino from Robert via Art yesterday but we weren't home to sign for it.........c'mon 10:00!

Kkaderly

One of the Regulars
chippy said:
if not spending too much money (a $100 or so isnt too much to me, it may be to others) it can be ok to take the gamble, if the amount of money is somewhat more precious then i still think it is perfectly reasonable to have more details on what your purchasing before handing over any money

I agree completely .... if I was spending a great deal of money on a once in a lifetime hat then I would need much more information and would probably need to talk with both Robert and Art (someday I will have one of his hats!) directly. Robert did send me pictures of the hats he had in stock for the price I was looking at so I did have some idea of what I was getting but I was expecting a 150 or so wpsi and got a 250+ which made me very happy!

chippy said:
I like the look of the brisas weave a little better..which would seem odd, because i always happen to like the most expensive things, it has something to do with Murphy's law, or some such thing lol

Well shoot ... now I am going to have to have a nice cuenca ... the addiction grows!!!

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Well, I just placed an order for the "New Hampton", after not being able to contain myself anymore when looking at Aureliano's pictures. They told me it should go out Monday, and I'll be sure to post an update on how I like it once I get it.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
ScionPI2005 said:
Well, I just placed an order for the "New Hampton", after not being able to contain myself anymore when looking at Aureliano's pictures. They told me it should go out Monday, and I'll be sure to post an update on how I like it once I get it.

cool, man. I wore it the other day and it felt so nice. Very comfortable hat.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Robert did PM me with some helpful info, just a bit unfortunate for me he didnt manage to get back to me at the time, but i am happy to get one next time

When I checked emails, I did get back with you but was waiting on word of exactly what hat you wanted. Simple communication error! Sorry!

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Kkaderly said:

I have read Cuenca hats will not take a diffrent shape at all. Anyone know this for fact or not?...

The Stetson I posted took the new dents very well with steam.

I also have a cheapo Cuenca from Panama Bob. The brim got seriously limp and whacky in a downpour the first time I wore it. I just coaxed it back into something reasonable before it was completely dry. I also took the opportunity to fine tune the crown a little bit and raised the dome.

High Pockets

Practically Family
Woo Hoo!!! I am the proud proud owner of a beautiful Montecristi Extra-fino from Panama Bob and finished by non other than Art Fawcett!

I'll try to take a few pics tomorrow.

Man I love everything about it!

Heck I love the very smell of it! :D

univibe88

One Too Many
High Pockets said:
Woo Hoo!!! I am the proud proud owner of a beautiful Montecristi Extra-fino from Panama Bob and finished by non other than Art Fawcett!

Congrats! Can't wait to see it.

Kkaderly

One of the Regulars
High Pockets said:

I am already green with envy!!!! I probably won't even be able to look at the pics ... it might be more then I can handle ;)

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
HungaryTom said:
PHM Montecristi.

Panamacathedral.jpg

Different weavecounts - beauty is not measurable.

Van_Gogh_Vase_with_Fifteen_Sunflowe.jpg

Van Gogh: Vase with Fifteen Sunflowers. 100x76 cm.
Auctioned at Christie's, London, on 31 March, 1987.
Price: USD 39,921,750.
Sompo Japan Museum of Art.
The norm would be 100x80 cm.

I have several similar hats on order. We'll see how they "count out".

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Aureliano said:
Are leather sweatbands with ventilation holes significantly "fresher" in feeling than solid ones?
Minor improvement unless the hat body/sweatband interface also has a ventilation pathway.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
rlk said:
Minor improvement unless the hat body/sweatband interface also has a ventilation pathway.

I was thinking about replacing it on my montecristi which has a solid leather. But if there's no much difference[huh] I'm gonna leave it alone. Thanks, R.

One Too Many
Nice Hat

Cracker said:
Not a panama, but a cheap straw (palm) planter style hat from Guatemala that I picked up last summer in a Central American crafts/import shop here in the Houston Heights. Woven by "Victor Castro." Worn this evening while enjoying the spring-like weather.

IMG_8615.jpg

IMG_8620-1.jpg

IMG_8618.jpg

IMG_8616.jpg

In all Latin America you can see beautiful hats like that, have same quality than Milan straw and others trade marks and are woven by great artists.

hogateb

New in Town
Newbie Queston

Just got a panamabob e-bay hat on Thursday of last week. Seemed like a great start especially for the money. The question is, is it OK to cut/clip the sraw that is poking out of the weave as it pokes me in the head. I would try and grow more hair, but that just is not going to happen.:)

Below is an imae of the inside of the hat. Probably not a great picture, but I think you can get the idea of what I am talking about.

DSC00898-1.jpg

I really like the hat, and I am still amazed at how fast it was shipped to me.

Thanks for the feedback!

Reactions: DRB

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
hogateb said:
Just got a panamabob e-bay hat on Thursday of last week. Seemed like a great start especially for the money. The question is, is it OK to cut/clip the sraw that is poking out of the weave as it pokes me in the head. I would try and grow more hair, but that just is not going to happen.:)

Below is an imae of the inside of the hat. Probably not a great picture, but I think you can get the idea of what I am talking about.

DSC00898-1.jpg

I really like the hat, and I am still amazed at how fast it was shipped to me.

Thanks for the feedback!

Some Panama hats have a tip sticker in that spot.
Like this: (you can make your own with an old liner or fabric and glue it or stick it with double sided tape)
DSC04767.jpg

High Pockets

Practically Family
Here are a few photos I took just a few minutes ago of the Montecristi Extra Fino that Panama Bob had made for me. He sent to to be finished by Art Fawcett and I cannot telll you what an incredible hat this is. The color, the smell, the finish,.....heck, the weave looks as tight as canvas for crying out loud!

Thank you both so much Robert and Art,....I've had a ton of compliments on it already from friends on facebook to folks at Mass this morning!

100_0272.jpg

100_0279.jpg

100_0273.jpg

100_0281.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran