Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

buler

I'll Lock Up
Stetson

I'd be interested to hear what type of straw this Stetson is.... thanks.

B

stetson_optimo_1.jpg

stetson_optimo_2.jpg

stetson_optimo_3.jpg

stetson_optimo_4.jpg

stetson_optimo_5.jpg

stetson_optimo_6.jpg

Reactions: DRB

HatDoc

One of the Regulars
buler said:
Custom Hat Works.
Don't know is this is a true Montecristi or not. I'll let the experts weigh in. The hat does have a nice feel to it.
custom_4.jpg

custom_5.jpg
custom_9.jpg

Buler,

Looks like the real McCoy......llano weave, back-woven brim, 6+ vueltas. Beautiful.

jporgeck

Familiar Face
Very nice

daizawaguy said:
Pleasure - you should be well sorted out in time for the heat!

Here are some pics of my 2 sem-calado`s...

April2010010.jpg

Those look very handsome. If my memory serves me correct you seem to prefer the stingy brims, eh?

KY_RudeBoy

Familiar Face
Panamabob said:
Panama Hatworks of Montecristi offers...genuine panama hat. As Vic said "The brand is"The Panama Hat Works of Montecristi"".
Woops! My apologies. I misunderstood the listing, and the Cuenca hats were what I was looking for on Panama Bob's main site anyway. It's a great hat and exactly what I was looking for. Again, I apologize for my misunderstanding.

KY_RudeBoy

Familiar Face
CRH said:
RudeBoy rides the Bull! :eusa_clap
Oh yeah, I did. :)
It seems that after the steam let go, the hat had a mind of it's own again, although more timid than before. A short blast of water from a spray bottle appears to have tamed it since it has now dried and stayed in place. Great fun. And a great hat too!

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Lesson learned

RBH said:
That looks to be a nice one Craig.
Someone seems to have taken care of it.

Good eye, RBH. A nice elderly Brisa it is. It appears to have been worn very little and was stored properly. It did not arrive without problems, however.

I repaired a 3-4 cm crack with another 3-4 cm of weakness in the paja in the front pinch with some fabric glue. Sorry, I failed to take any shots of the crack (I am a crack shot BTW, though). :rolleyes:

I was fondling the front pinch and this crack just happened, or maybe it was already there? but anyway it's fixed and here's a shot after the repair.

hpim2232i.jpg

I had to give the hat a sponge bath following Panama Bob's excellent advice which can be found on his website. Here are before and after shots of a stain.

hpim2213.jpg

hpim2231.jpg

Here's just some braggadocio of the insides. The water marks on the crown liner are from the sponge bath.

hpim2236.jpg

hpim2235vesp.jpg

hpim2234.jpg

hpim2233.jpg

So the two main points I want folks to walk away with here are:

1. Don't be afraid to give your Panama a sponge bath. It won't hurt it and an occasional dose of water is actually good for it.

2. If you come across an old Panama that looks to be in great condition be very careful with it. The paja can grow week with age just like you and I. Look for week spots before you give any heavy wear or handling.

Carry on Caballeros! :D

giligan

New in Town
Hi Panamabob,

My colleague and I are trying to figure out how maysers avoid the lamp-like curve that the front brim of panamas usually have and I believe you could help.

33370p.jpg

He believes it is due to their flanges that aren't typically snap-brims, while I believe that it is the straw that makes it tough enough for the outer brim to hold it's shape just like a felt.

Let me know what you think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy