Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

150719541 said:
2650542970106357411S600x600Q85.jpg

2378825590106357411S600x600Q85.jpg

2076473360106357411S600x600Q85.jpg

One favorite hat, sub-fino Montecristi straw, cool and light in any warm land.

That's nice little boat you have behind you there. Is that your personal dock? :p

BG

GWD

One Too Many
Stingy Montecristi from Panama Bob!

I love this hat (Despite the look on my face) :D. I opted for the blue pug but he also sent me a brown pug a black bow and an orange bow. The Orange looks great btw!

web.jpg

web.jpg

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tom Gomez is making another hat for me, a Cuenca brisa from Panama Bob. I asked Tom to make me a hat with a more western flavor. Even though I don't have it in my hands yet, I couldn't wait to post it. These are Tom's pictures, and this will be one of the most uniquely BobC hats in my hat family. It will be my first western hybrid, if you will. I feel myself getting really excited about this hat. :eusa_doh: The band is leather with abelone shells, reminiscent of our vacations in the Bahamas, each with a small dark green bead to fasten the shell to the band. The shells are alternated, outside up then inside up.

web-1-1.jpg

web-2-1.jpg

web-1.jpg

Reactions: DRB

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Chinaski said:
That's not a shape you see every day in a panama, BobC. I guess everything you own can't be Whippet shaped! Please show it off when you get it.

I do love whippets too. :D ;)

chippy

New in Town
BobC said:
Tom Gomez is making another hat for me, a Cuenca brisa from Panama Bob. I asked Tom to make me a hat with a more western flavor. Even though I don't have it in my hands yet, I couldn't wait to post it. These are Tom's pictures, and this will be one of the most uniquely BobC hats in my hat family. It will be my first western hybrid, if you will. I feel myself getting really excited about this hat. :eusa_doh: The band is leather with abelone shells, reminiscent of our vacations in the Bahamas, each with a small dark green bead to fasten the shell to the band. The shells are alternated, outside up then inside up.

web-1-1.jpg
a distinctive hat for the summer Bob, most interesting materials used in the band as well...i had seen some incrediable bands at the expensive Montecristi web site that range from multi hundreds to multi thousands of dollars, which got me to thinking of different materials and designs for my own 'outback' hat i would like to freshen up, i had come up with a few ideas including using opals from Cooper Pedy but now i will also look into some Mother of Pearl from Coffin Bay (a holiday spot i visit that has Abelone if you dont mind getting wet to fetch em)

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Panama from David Morgan

Yay, I finally get to post here! Not bad for $65. I would bet good money that it's made by Capas, although it's not labeled as such. It's a very comfortable, nice looking hat. I expect it'll get a lot of use this summer.

The brim was troublesome at first, it kept wanting to snap up at the lightest touch. Steaming and a little reshaping remedied that.

davidmorgan1.jpg

davidmorgan4.jpg

Neil

A-List Customer
Panama hats

Here is what I am concluding, after several purchases ranging from 500 wpsi to more than 1200:
My favorite straw hat is a semi-calado I bought from PB last year, and had blocked by Batsakes.
The other hats, while fabulous looking, bake my head, and after even a short stroll downtown, the sweatband is soaked and perspiration is leaching into the straw.
Which is not a good thing. I still wear them to garden parties, etc., but from now on I buy semi-calados. I'm having one made now to be blocked as an Optimo.

Neil

A-List Customer
Semi-calados

The damndest thing is, the better the weave, the hotter the hat, or so it seems. My best PB is one of those creamy, cloth-like creations that weighs practically nothing. My cheapest PB is a rather coarsely woven cuenca with a cloth sweatband. I swear the cheaper one is cooler.
But the semi-calado is a dream. Cooling breeze sails right through, head doesn't become sopping wet, and it looks great.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
BobC said:
Tom Gomez is making another hat for me, a Cuenca brisa from Panama Bob. I asked Tom to make me a hat with a more western flavor.

Good choice. The abalone gives some flair to the band but doesn't over power the hat.

I've been watching Tom's eBay offerings and I'm seeing some fine artisanship.

Mr. Weber (Panama Bob) was kind enough to send me a pug to fix a ribbon malfunction with my latest Panama Bob eBay auction win. Alas, the crown is just too wonky and won't hold it's pug properly. Man, I hate when that happens. :eusa_doh: lol

This one, on the other hand, also a PB eBay win from last year holds it's pug just fine. This one is wonky too but it's a good wonky.

hpim2345.jpg

I'll be contacting Mr. Gomez to see if he can turn the bad wonky hat into a good wonky hat.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I just don't understand on that one. Send it back for a refund or I'll shoot Tom the $7.50 it cost to help with the of the brim flanging/stiffening process to help out. Are you a LO head?

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Panamabob said:
...the $7.50 it cost ...

Sorry bout that. :eek:

I appreciate the offer, Robert, but you've done more than enough already to square up this deal. Yes, Sir!

I'm not complaining, mind you. The brim actually turned out pretty good, I think. The hat is perfectly wearable as is but I just need more better. No what I mean?

My next one will be an unblocked Monte! :D

Did somebody page for a good donkey?

shrek-donkey1.jpg

I said good wonky, you flea bag!

Reactions: DRB

carldelo

One Too Many
Mr E Train said:
Yay, I finally get to post here! Not bad for $65. I would bet good money that it's made by Capas, although it's not labeled as such. It's a very comfortable, nice looking hat. I expect it'll get a lot of use this summer.

Looks pretty good Mr. E., I think you sold me, assuming I can get the brim to behave as well. How's the sizing on the XXL for 7-3/4?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy