Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Delion Summer 1903

4724946124_cdf29e8bb6_b.jpg

Reactions: DRB

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
hiker said:
does anyone know where to buy a superfino hat in the town of montecristi

Yep! Skip Montecristi and go to Pile, return home with your hat and send to Art, Gus, either of the Optimos, Tom or your choice.

Seriously, email me and I'll give you some names and phone numbers in Manabi.

ksargent

New in Town
Cuenca vs. Monte at Panama Bob's

Greetings all,

If one is planning to spend $150 or so on a Panama Bob hat, is that money better spent on one of the mid-range to nicer Cuencas or a lower-end Montecristi? I am thinking along the lines of an Extra-Fino Llano Cuenca vs. either a Medio Fino or a Fino Montecristi (hand blocked in Ecuador). To complicate matters, I am very warm-natured and perspire heavily (I live in Pensacola on the Gulf Coast), so some ventilation is probably a plus in my case.

So - I am looking for guidance - all opinions welcome and appreciated. I am new to this and am trying to educate myself. I currently have a Stetson Centerdent, so I am thinking of the Optimo style in the Cuenca or the Optimo Royale in the Montecristi. Another choice might be the Havana. The Optimo seems a bit unusual - does it wear well?

Regards
Ken

rlk

I'll Lock Up
ksargent said:
Greetings all,

If one is planning to spend $150 or so on a Panama Bob hat, is that money better spent on one of the mid-range to nicer Cuencas or a lower-end Montecristi? I am thinking along the lines of an Extra-Fino Llano Cuenca vs. either a Medio Fino or a Fino Montecristi (hand blocked in Ecuador). To complicate matters, I am very warm-natured and perspire heavily (I live in Pensacola on the Gulf Coast), so some ventilation is probably a plus in my case.

So - I am looking for guidance - all opinions welcome and appreciated. I am new to this and am trying to educate myself. I currently have a Stetson Centerdent, so I am thinking of the Optimo style in the Cuenca or the Optimo Royale in the Montecristi. Another choice might be the Havana. The Optimo seems a bit unusual - does it wear well?

Regards
Ken

The Optimo style has a couple of advantages. It is structurally a bit stronger(stable) as it is uncreased(like a dome) and puts some air space above the top of your head. The Cuenca Brisa weave creates a bit more ventilation for air flow. The finer weaves of the Montecristi can get floppier in wider brims and have a bit less circulation.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I don't wear short brims all the time but I do have several that I like. I've been wearing this one (about 2 inches) quite a bit as of late. As you would expect, it's thin and light and good in hot weather. I like to wear it in a modified Optimo style without any pinches.

21e59da4.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
zetwal said:
I don't wear short brims all the time but I do have several that I like. I've been wearing this one (about 2 inches) quite a bit as of late. As you would expect, it's thin and light and good in hot weather. I like to wear it in a modified Optimo style without any pinches.

21e59da4.jpg
That's a nice one! :eusa_clap

ksargent

New in Town
A very nice looking hat!

zetwal said:

21e59da4.jpg

ksargent

New in Town
Thanks for the answers! When I called the Optimo "unusual," I meant in a good way. My wife thought it looked a bit like a safari hat. Whenever I develop an interest in something, I always seek out the classic designs or definitive examples. This seems to be one of those for Panama hats.

Ken

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Feraud, it is a sweet little hat, and quite old too, I think. :)

And Ken, in light of what you guys were talking about, I thought you may want to see this particular example. It doesn't look as colonial/safari as a classic Optimo style crease but is still high and full in the crown. ;)

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Zetwal - do you mean modified optimo in the sense that it's almost like an inverted ridge - kind of a short, shallow center-dent?

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Yes Lefty, just a shallow center dent done (in this case) casually by hand rather than with a block. I don't know that it would work well on any hat, but I do like how it works on this one. Let's call it wabi-sabimo ... ;)

ksargent

New in Town
Curious noob here. Does that style have a name? I assume that the crown is not an Optimo as it has no ridge.

Am I correct in my understanding that "Optimo" refers only to the crown style and an Optimo hat can have a variety of brim widths?

Thanks
Ken

zetwal said:
Thanks Feraud, it is a sweet little hat, and quite old too, I think. :)

And Ken, in light of what you guys were talking about, I thought you may want to see this particular example. It doesn't look as colonial/safari as a classic Optimo style crease but is still high and full in the crown. ;)

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Optimo, which only needs to be capitalized in reference to the hat store, is often referred to as an optimo crown because, just as you suspected, it just refers to the open crown with the ridge. That ridge sometimes runs all the way through the crown and onto the brim (see the image posted by rlk, above), but that's not a defining characteristic of the style. Brim width and style is immaterial.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21