Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Amazing display. I've seen advertisements for $100 panamas from that era, but had never seen a photo of one.

According to one source (and I'm not putting much effort into this one), the average income in 1919 was $1,125/year.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
My wife's newest hat, fresh from today's thrifting adventure. A little brim shaping and it'll be ready to go.

DSC_0241.jpg

DSC_0242.jpg

DSC_0244.jpg

DSC_0245.jpg

fenris

One of the Regulars
I've never seen or handled an authentic panama hat until today and I have a question... Are they really soft? The ones I handled were really soft; are they supposed to be that way?

fenris

One of the Regulars
carouselvic said:
If by soft you mean flexible, then yes. The finer the weave, the more flexible.

Thanks! Now I know... They feel so flexible that they might not be able to hold a bash... they were all open-crown.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Nope. You might be thinking of the optimo style of crown (no relation to the Optimo hat business), which is almost an open crown, but has a thin ridge running from front to back (or back to front on your side of the world :)). The hat keeps its shape with the use of stiffener.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Thanks! Now I know... They feel so flexible that they might not be able to hold a bash... they were all open-crown.

They certainly could have been open crown. If you can snap some photos, we'll help fill in the details.

If it was a "bell" shaped crown, it was probably a Cuenca. If flat, it might have been a Montecristi.

They all can hold a bash and your blocker of choice will help with that.

fenris

One of the Regulars
Lefty said:
Nope. You might be thinking of the optimo style of crown (no relation to the Optimo hat business), which is almost an open crown, but has a thin ridge running from front to back (or back to front on your side of the world :)). The hat keeps its shape with the use of stiffener.

yup. that's what I saw...

buler

I'll Lock Up
Genuine (bonafide) panama

Got this Stetson Medalist today. I really like it and it fits great. Needed to reflange it after it was sent in a tiny box.

B

medalist-2.jpg

medalist_3.jpg

medalist_4.jpg

medalist_5.jpg

medalist_6.jpg

medalist_7.jpg

Reactions: DRB

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
My Dobbs Shantung Panama

This is the only panama I have left, my first having met an ignoble end under a box of books (taking my boater along with it). :cry: It certainly isn’t very old, nor is it the best, but it’s sized perfectly to stay on the head when the wind picks up without cutting off the circulation. :p Next summer, it will be time for an updgrade.

4707074821_426d0beef6_b.jpg

Reactions: DRB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112