Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Lefty said:
Fantastic! That's the first modern production hat that has really made me say "I want that." :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

You saw it first here in this thread folks.

Lefty says UNCLE! lol

ouch-Wrestling.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
CRH said:
You saw it first here in this thread folks.

Lefty says UNCLE! lol
IMG]http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/francis/ouch-Wrestling.jpg[/IMG]

You'll get no more than an "Unc" from me, sir. It makes me say "I want it", but as I can't stand having as many hats as I do (anything over about 4 bothers me), "I want it" is unlikely to turn into "I own it."

gremster

New in Town
I must say Mr.E you do have a keen eye, indeed it is Mr. Lester Young's pork pie. I always loved a nice pork pie. I found the pic. by googleing Lester Young, Hope that helps you.

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
Lefty said:
I'm not sure where Gene's thread has gone (I think it should be a sticky), but he gave a pretty nice tutorial on shaping the brim. I sort-of followed it (I don't have a blow dryer), doing something like this.

You'll need a cup of water (tap is fine), a hat stretcher, some heavy books, some plastic grocery bags.

prep:
Put your hat stretcher in a hat that fits you just right and open it up just to the point of getting a little tense against the sweatband. Note how far the stretcher is open, close it down enough, and remove it.

Put your heavy books in the plastic bags. You'll be using these as weights on a wet surface.

the job:
Dip your hand in the water and went the panama brim on both sides until it's good and soaked through.

Put your stretcher in the panama and open it up to your perfect-hat-size. This should make your brim wave the same way it does when you wear it.

Set the hat on a table (line it with a towel or more plastic bags if needed), allowing the front of the brim - the part you want to stay down - to hang over the edge of the table. Place the books on the sides of the brim to flatten it. You'll need a decent amount of weight here.

Let it sit overnight and repeat if necessary.

**this will remove any snap you have to your brim**

Mine was really wavy, even after a reflange by Art, and I didn't wear it for quite a while. Now that I've stretched it a bit and set the brim the way I like it, it's on my head much more often.
DSC_0039-1.jpg

Ok we did everything and the books are on the surface we are trying to flatten out. We would appreciate any comments.

Thanks,

Wilbur and Joselyn
045.jpg

044.jpg

043.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Assuming that you've still got the stretcher in the hat, it looks like you're doing exactly what I did. If you want the front to hang a bit deeper, as shown in my photo, attach a binder clip or chip clip to the front of the brim - you might want to have something between the clip and the hat, like a paper towel, to avoid marring the weave - and let it hang.

I ended up doing this more than once before I reached my desired result, so don't be frustrated if you're not pleased with the look right away.

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
Yes we set the hat stretcher in the hat just as you suggested. Joselyn did not want too much of a dip in the front so after some discussion we wet the front ever so slightly (nothing like the sides) and worked it down to where it is there. It has been this way for the last 6-8 hours so hopefully tomorrow we will see positive results. When Art sent the hat in the sides curved up oddly but the back looked great so we are thinking with the sides flattened out and the back up as it is here she will have a nice jaunty look to the hat. Keeping our fingers crossed for just one time but if not we will do it again.

Wilbur and Joselyn

HungaryTom

One Too Many
RLK,

Excellent hat, beautiful color harmony between ribbon and hat body.

You wear it well!!!!

Amadeo would be also great with your DB suits, or linen suit or... it is great.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Cheers:

Tom

Tom-n-Perris

Vendor
Well I got this full calado Montecristi Panama hat body and my wife saw it.:eek: Then she asked me if I could do something with the hat so that she could wear it. So I thought about it and this is what I came up with. I figured since it is a Panama it should go in this thread.:D

DSCF5448_2.jpg

DSCF5449_2.jpg

DSCF5452_2.jpg

DSCF5451_2.jpg

Reactions: DRB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto