Panama Hat Thread

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Burma Shave, Mar 28, 2006.

1. jporgeck

jporgeck Familiar Face

Bluesman61, very, very nice hat. Too bad about the wave. You could hang ten on that rascal. Art, will no doubt, remedy the situation.

Mr E Train, wise choice on the pug v ribbon swap. Really makes it happen.

150719541, that hat looks cool in more ways than one.

2. dnjan

dnjan One Too Many

hat protection

Having recently spent more money (significantly more money) on a PanamaBob-Art masterpiece than I have spent on any other hat, I was wondering about some kind of thin plastic hat-protector.
    I was thinking of something that could easily be kept in a jacket pocket, or possibly even folded and stuck under the hat band.

I assume such things exist. What are they called, and who sells them?
    (I would like something a bit more hat-shaped than a garbage-can liner bag)

Thanks!

3. whyo

whyo New in Town

4. carldelo

carldelo One Too Many

5. danofarlington

danofarlington My Mail is Forwarded Here

I've been caught out in rainstorms with hats. Generally speaking, the thinner the hat material, the more likely it is to be affected by water. So when it rains and I'm wearing a good hat, Panama or otherwise, but especially a thin and expensive Panama hat, I take it off and put it into one of those grocery store plastic bags and carry it by hand. I would not mess around with a thin plastic bag over the hat and keep wearing it in a shower, like a policeman would wear a plastic top on his hat in the pouring rain. I just wouldn't take the chance, and would remove the hat completely.

I know such plastic hat-type bags exist because my local hat man has them. Before I can ask him though I'm sure someone else will come back to you with a source. I want to know myself, because I could put my best hats in them between wearings to keep the dust off, which is a real concern.

6. dnjan

dnjan One Too Many

7. swaviator

swaviator New in Town

Hi...I have a Stetson Medalist of probably the same vintage. What is the range of years of the Medaliste? Love the band! Who is a good source of bands?
    Thanks!

8. Markp

Markp New in Town

Small smudge on new hat

Hi,

New to this forum a a fairly new "good" Panama hat owner. I've had an O.K. Panama for a few years (the one in my avatar) but in the past couple of months I purchased a Christy's Panama that I've been wearing about town on most late spring days.

Just noticed a very small spot on the crown, not wanting to do anything that might be destructive I just wet my finger with a bit of water and rubbed it a bit, reduced the spot a bit and now I'm ready to move on to the next step. My thought is to just take a bit of dish washing liquid soap and water and do the same thing with my finger.

Am I on the right track or is there a better way? Don't have the hat with me as I'm in a hotel away from home for the next few days.

Thanks...

9. carldelo

carldelo One Too Many

At the link I posted above, never mind, here it is:
    http://www.wardrobesupplies.com/store/m2_mjsupp.html
    There is a dedicated straw hat cleaning product. I've never used it myself (disclaimer!) but it's not very expensive, might be good to have around.

10. CRH

CRH Call Me a Cab

Most straws need a little moisture now and then so just give the whole hat a sponge bath. Fill a sink with a small squirt of liquid dish soap just like washing dishes, well not exactly. I use a big squirt for dishes. ;)

Take a rung out wash rag and wash the whole hat followed by wiping with a clean, dry cotton dish towel. Repeat.

Now check for stains and concentrate on them one by one in the same manner except get your cleaning rag wetter if the stains are stubborn. Repeat until the stains are gone or you are board or tired or whatever.

You should find that your Panama has a little more pep than it did before. :D

11. Bluesman61

Bluesman61 Familiar Face

New Stetson Andover

I just got this from Village Hat Shops 30th Anny. sale. A little different for me, but I like it. :) Sorry for the blur...

Jay

[​IMG]

12. Mr E Train

Mr E Train One Too Many

13. Tom-n-Perris

Tom-n-Perris Vendor

+1 I concur with Mr. E Train but it still is a very nice hat on your noggin.:D

14. Bluesman61

Bluesman61 Familiar Face

You are both correct. Sorry. Too much of a newb to know the difference I guess! :eek: :D

15. cookie

cookie I'll Lock Up

Torquing and LOs go together in Panamas.

16. Bluesman61

Bluesman61 Familiar Face

That's what I'm finding out. I've got it on a stretcher with a few heavy books on the brim to see if I can fix it. It is slowly starting to work itself out.

17. CRH

CRH Call Me a Cab

You could always wear it under a thunderstorm an let God have a run at it if all else fails.

lol

:p

:cool2:

18. CRH

CRH Call Me a Cab

So far it looks like 1940's or later on the Medalist business.

Medalist was also a felt model, BTW.

I picked up a few bands from Shushan's. Here's another one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ones I purchased are poplin so they shrink to fit as you can see. Silk will also shrink to fit.

19. Hexenmeister

Hexenmeister One of the Regulars

Valetmag.com linked to this trailer for what is no less than a feature length documentary about the panama hat. I had no idea so much went into the crafting of a hat. 0_o

Made in Equador: The Panama Hat Story
    [YOUTUBE]FRia8pZTorw[/YOUTUBE]

Higher res version is here at Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/406351

20. Panamabob

Panamabob Call Me a Cab