Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

Kkaderly

One of the Regulars
Videos

Love the videos ..... Big diffrence between 1949 and now!!! Unfortunate!! It really makes me appreciate my great Monti!!!! It also makes me concerned that in 50 years, if the trend continues, there might not be any weavers left!!!!

Opinions???

K

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Bluesman61 said:
Okay, I've almost got the brim back to normal on my Panama shown above. Is there a way to stiffen the brim on a Panama to try and hold the shape?

Steam it (may re-activate the stiffner) and let it cool down (set) straight...

Bluesman61

Familiar Face
daizawaguy said:
Steam it (may re-activate the stiffner) and let it cool down (set) straight...

Thanks for the replies. So far, it is holding good! There may be hope yet!

One more question, do you think I should store this hat with a stretcher in it to retain the long oval shape? In other words, is it likely to slowly shrink to it's original size if I don't retain it somehow?

Kkaderly

One of the Regulars
Bluesman61 said:
Okay, I've almost got the brim back to normal on my Panama shown above. Is there a way to stiffen the brim on a Panama to try and hold the shape?

I would be careful with the stiffener ... the nice thing about owning a truly high quality Panama is that it doesn't have much stiffener in it and it is always soft a flexible .... Just a suggestion!

Kk

Bluesman61

Familiar Face
That's better!

Just wanted to show how it's coming along. I used water, a hat stretcher, heavy books, and soup cans to try and fix the shape of my wavy brim. I think it's working pretty well.

Photo74.jpg

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Bluesman61 said:
Thanks for the replies. So far, it is holding good! There may be hope yet!

One more question, do you think I should store this hat with a stretcher in it to retain the long oval shape? In other words, is it likely to slowly shrink to it's original size if I don't retain it somehow?

Now, That does look good Sir! To answer your question - no, after the stretching and drying is over (a day or so), leave it as it is if it is behaving itsself...and it seems it is :eusa_clap

Mr E Train

One Too Many
The "Boaterma"

I posted this in Boater Faction, but felt I should cross-post it here because it qualifies as a Panama too. A Panama straw "boater" by Capas, I removed the traditional red & blue grosgrain and added a black pleated puggaree. It may seem presumptuous, but I have taken the liberty of dubbing it "The Boaterma." I'm already quite fond of it.

boatama1.jpg

boatama-top-1.jpg

boatama-inside.jpg

boatama7.jpg

More in Boater Faction.

Reactions: DRB

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
That's great. I can tell from the seal in the hat that I deal with that factory in Cuenca. I can tell from the tip sticker that I deal with that company in USA. I can tell from the CAPAS that I deal with them, too. Three great companies come together.

Now, I've got to get some of these up for next summer!

:)

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Panamabob said:
That's great. I can tell from the seal in the hat that I deal with that factory in Cuenca. I can tell from the tip sticker that I deal with that company in USA. I can tell from the CAPAS that I deal with them, too. Three great companies come together.

Now, I've got to get some of these up for next summer!

:)

Well, the Panamabob seal of approval means a lot, so thanks! From what I've seen, Capas puts out some good straws. I have a Panama fedora that I got from David Morgan that I have a sneaking suspicion is a Capas as well. It has the same Made in Ecuador seal.

This Boaterma (Panaboater? Hmm...) is a pretty well-made hat, and should last a while. I hated ripping the grosgrain off because it was stitched so neatly, but I had to have a different look. If you do get some, I think it would be a good idea to offer different ribbons besides to the traditional red-blue striped grosgrain, like black grosgrain ribbon, puggarees, etc.

Bluesman61

Familiar Face
daizawaguy said:
Now, That does look good Sir! To answer your question - no, after the stretching and drying is over (a day or so), leave it as it is if it is behaving itsself...and it seems it is :eusa_clap

Thank you for the answer daizawaguy! You have been very helpful too me and I really appreciate your advice. In a way, I'm glad this hat gave me a little bit of trouble, because I have learned so much trying to fix it! Now to enjoy wearing it the rest of the summer and hopefully years to come.

Sincerely,

Jay

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Mr E Train said:
I posted this in Boater Faction, but felt I should cross-post it here because it qualifies as a Panama too. A Panama straw "boater" .

Fantastic! That's the first modern production hat that has really made me say "I want that." :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Bluesman61 said:
Nice Mr. E! I like your "boaterma". I still haven't worked up the courage to try a boater yet, but yours looks great!

Thank you, Bluesman. It seems like the Boaterma would be a good gateway drug to boaters because it's not as bold a statement as the traditional sennit straw boater. It makes a statement, but in a more subdued, more versatile way.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Lefty said:
Fantastic! That's the first modern production hat that has really made me say "I want that." :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Wow, I guess I've really hit on something here. :eek: Thanks much, Lefty. With the traditional guard's band it was pretty "meh", you know, that imitation boater vibe, but the pug brought it to life.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
I don't think I've seen that before. Those are great! Yeah, it does have a bit of the same vibe, except with a straight brim.

By the way, I got mine at Hats-Plus, but Gentleman's Emporium has the exact same hat for $15 cheaper. They only had it in XL so I took a chance I ordered it knowing it might be too small, and it was. Their shipping time and customer service was fantastic, though. Good company. Hats-Plus had the XXL I needed, and they're good too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR