Panama Hat Thread

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Burma Shave, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Panamabob

Panamabob Call Me a Cab

2. RBH

RBH Bartender

Thaks Robert!

3. Kkaderly

Kkaderly One of the Regulars

Videos

Love the videos ..... Big diffrence between 1949 and now!!! Unfortunate!! It really makes me appreciate my great Monti!!!! It also makes me concerned that in 50 years, if the trend continues, there might not be any weavers left!!!!

Opinions???

K

4. Bluesman61

Bluesman61 Familiar Face

How to stiffen brim?

Okay, I've almost got the brim back to normal on my Panama shown above. Is there a way to stiffen the brim on a Panama to try and hold the shape?

5. Mr E Train

Mr E Train One Too Many

I've used Kahl hat stiffener to good effect. If you have a western store in your area, they should have it.

6. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Call Me a Cab

Steam it (may re-activate the stiffner) and let it cool down (set) straight...

7. Bluesman61

Bluesman61 Familiar Face

Thanks for the replies. So far, it is holding good! There may be hope yet!

One more question, do you think I should store this hat with a stretcher in it to retain the long oval shape? In other words, is it likely to slowly shrink to it's original size if I don't retain it somehow?

8. Kkaderly

Kkaderly One of the Regulars

I would be careful with the stiffener ... the nice thing about owning a truly high quality Panama is that it doesn't have much stiffener in it and it is always soft a flexible .... Just a suggestion!

Kk

9. Bluesman61

Bluesman61 Familiar Face

That's better!

Just wanted to show how it's coming along. I used water, a hat stretcher, heavy books, and soup cans to try and fix the shape of my wavy brim. I think it's working pretty well.

[​IMG]

10. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Call Me a Cab

Now, That does look good Sir! To answer your question - no, after the stretching and drying is over (a day or so), leave it as it is if it is behaving itsself...and it seems it is :eusa_clap

11. Mr E Train

Mr E Train One Too Many

The "Boaterma"

I posted this in Boater Faction, but felt I should cross-post it here because it qualifies as a Panama too. A Panama straw "boater" by Capas, I removed the traditional red & blue grosgrain and added a black pleated puggaree. It may seem presumptuous, but I have taken the liberty of dubbing it "The Boaterma." I'm already quite fond of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More in Boater Faction.

DRB likes this.
  12. Panamabob

Panamabob Call Me a Cab

That's great. I can tell from the seal in the hat that I deal with that factory in Cuenca. I can tell from the tip sticker that I deal with that company in USA. I can tell from the CAPAS that I deal with them, too. Three great companies come together.

Now, I've got to get some of these up for next summer!

:)

13. Mr E Train

Mr E Train One Too Many

Well, the Panamabob seal of approval means a lot, so thanks! From what I've seen, Capas puts out some good straws. I have a Panama fedora that I got from David Morgan that I have a sneaking suspicion is a Capas as well. It has the same Made in Ecuador seal.

This Boaterma (Panaboater? Hmm...) is a pretty well-made hat, and should last a while. I hated ripping the grosgrain off because it was stitched so neatly, but I had to have a different look. If you do get some, I think it would be a good idea to offer different ribbons besides to the traditional red-blue striped grosgrain, like black grosgrain ribbon, puggarees, etc.

14. Bluesman61

Bluesman61 Familiar Face

Nice Mr. E! I like your "boaterma". I still haven't worked up the courage to try a boater yet, but yours looks great!

15. Bluesman61

Bluesman61 Familiar Face

Thank you for the answer daizawaguy! You have been very helpful too me and I really appreciate your advice. In a way, I'm glad this hat gave me a little bit of trouble, because I have learned so much trying to fix it! Now to enjoy wearing it the rest of the summer and hopefully years to come.

Sincerely,

Jay

16. Lefty

Lefty I'll Lock Up

Fantastic! That's the first modern production hat that has really made me say "I want that." :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

17. Mr E Train

Mr E Train One Too Many

Thank you, Bluesman. It seems like the Boaterma would be a good gateway drug to boaters because it's not as bold a statement as the traditional sennit straw boater. It makes a statement, but in a more subdued, more versatile way.

18. Mr E Train

Mr E Train One Too Many

Wow, I guess I've really hit on something here. :eek: Thanks much, Lefty. With the traditional guard's band it was pretty "meh", you know, that imitation boater vibe, but the pug brought it to life.

19. Lefty

Lefty I'll Lock Up

It's got the same vibe as some of the panama/boaters in the 1911 catalog that Buler posted.

[​IMG]

DRB likes this.
  20. Mr E Train

Mr E Train One Too Many

I don't think I've seen that before. Those are great! Yeah, it does have a bit of the same vibe, except with a straight brim.

By the way, I got mine at Hats-Plus, but Gentleman's Emporium has the exact same hat for $15 cheaper. They only had it in XL so I took a chance I ordered it knowing it might be too small, and it was. Their shipping time and customer service was fantastic, though. Good company. Hats-Plus had the XXL I needed, and they're good too.